BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

08-06-2018, 01:25 PM   #1
ch1derco
Registered
Rep
Drives: i3, 640xi

BMW new 8 series

Any thoughts on if the new 2019 BMW 8 series will discontinue the i8?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 04:10 PM   #2
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1derco View Post
Any thoughts on if the new 2019 BMW 8 series will discontinue the i8?
They may discontinue the i8, but I wouldnt see the 8 series as a replacement. Having seen one up close at the weekend, the new 8 series really is a GT coupe, and looks more like a direct replacement of the 6 series to me. It was nice, but not special tbh, certainly wont be getting my money.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 08:19 PM   #3
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

No the '8' number is designative of the 'ultra luxury' BMW line.

X8, M8, 850, and i8.

However, the i8 was going to continue but sales have been..dissapointing, IN A SENSE. The electric craze has not been what BMW had thought it was, on top of that, the i8 and i3 are seen as out of date by its market.

i8 and i3 were supposed to bring new San Fransicso tech types to the BMW brand, and it was successful there. 80% or so had never owned a BMW before.

However, i3 range is low now, and i8 is misunderstood. People cant grasp it can do what the M2 can and still do 100 mpg or whatever the figure is. They think a $150k car should drive as fast as a Ferrari or Z06.

The i line up was supposed to rival the M line up. Now its seemingly being reduced to the i performance badge like the M perforamnce badge. The i8 will be moved to the M1 status of amazing cars that didnt sell and were discontinued...possibly.

Rumors swirl that a 4 cyclinder second generation may be in the works.

If BMWs green super car market emerges I think it will have chance. to understand the philosophy you really have to be German. There are 'green' people there who LIVE green and take it as seriously as Germans took Lutheranism vs Catholcism in the 30 years war. Its like a religion. So of course to German execs a new type of GREEN SUPER CAR would sell. However outside of San Fran the US doesnt have these types and even there people vote green but the liberal party in the US isn't even close to as green as these Germans are. Its one of those things you have to see for yourself.

Even on this website you'll see the i8, which in my mind is really neat (not to be political, i'm not green at all and dont vote that way either,) people just dont understand what the i8 is supposed to be philosophically. They just wonder why ti doesnt have a V8.

I hope i8 sticks around and the next version is a bit more M.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2018, 04:42 AM   #4
zorgzx
Private
Denmark
Rep
Drives: I8 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
No the '8' number is designative of the 'ultra luxury' BMW line.

X8, M8, 850, and i8.

However, the i8 was going to continue but sales have been..dissapointing, IN A SENSE. The electric craze has not been what BMW had thought it was, on top of that, the i8 and i3 are seen as out of date by its market.

i8 and i3 were supposed to bring new San Fransicso tech types to the BMW brand, and it was successful there. 80% or so had never owned a BMW before.

However, i3 range is low now, and i8 is misunderstood. People cant grasp it can do what the M2 can and still do 100 mpg or whatever the figure is. They think a $150k car should drive as fast as a Ferrari or Z06.

The i line up was supposed to rival the M line up. Now its seemingly being reduced to the i performance badge like the M perforamnce badge. The i8 will be moved to the M1 status of amazing cars that didnt sell and were discontinued...possibly.

Rumors swirl that a 4 cyclinder second generation may be in the works.

If BMWs green super car market emerges I think it will have chance. to understand the philosophy you really have to be German. There are 'green' people there who LIVE green and take it as seriously as Germans took Lutheranism vs Catholcism in the 30 years war. Its like a religion. So of course to German execs a new type of GREEN SUPER CAR would sell. However outside of San Fran the US doesnt have these types and even there people vote green but the liberal party in the US isn't even close to as green as these Germans are. Its one of those things you have to see for yourself.

Even on this website you'll see the i8, which in my mind is really neat (not to be political, i'm not green at all and dont vote that way either,) people just dont understand what the i8 is supposed to be philosophically. They just wonder why ti doesnt have a V8.

I hope i8 sticks around and the next version is a bit more M.
Well put. But even if I'm a regular at trackdays, I really wish they'll continue the range and do even LESS M.

I'd love for it to have even more supple suspension, a Frunk, visible engine, even more star-trek avionics. AND more comfort for the passengers in the back.

Loose the 12v battery, give me cooling in the centre console+ air in the back, bigger tank, B&O stereo, Active Aero and even skinnier tyres
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 08:29 AM   #5
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

The i8 and the 8 Series are completely different cars. Just because both models have an "8" in them don't make them competing vehicles...
Appreciate 1
wanesso193.00
      09-05-2018, 07:26 PM   #6
wanesso
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 M3, no mods,no probs

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2017 GT-R  [0.00]
2015 BMW i8  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
The i8 and the 8 Series are completely different cars. Just because both models have an "8" in them don't make them competing vehicles...

Yep, totally different vehicles and one not outdoing the other....
Appreciate 0