BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

09-02-2018, 09:35 PM   #1
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

i8 as a DD?

I'm considering what comes after my 650 GC. I've liked the i8, but certain things have held me back - wondering if you guys/owners can comment:

- I live in the northeast, so winter is a thing here. I don't drive daily (as I work from home), but I do have to venture into the snow at times. My DD's are always just wearing all season rubber. I don't see an all season tire option for the i8, and I'm not going to put up with swapping summer/winter wheels (just have better things to do with my time). Am I missing a good all season option?

- How is reliability? I don't drive a lot (have about 6k miles on my two year old 650 GC), but when I do... it needs to work.

- My 650 is fully loaded, and I'm wondering how much I may miss things like B&O, night vision, active cruise control... even blind spot detection. Looks like the i8 lacks quite a bit in the luxury tech department. Any owners here have regrets in that regard?

- Anything else I should be considering?

Appreciate the thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 09:39 PM   #2
vance
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

My 2016 i8 is my daily for the last year. I’ve only had 3 warranty issues come up with it: fuel pressure sensor failure, windshield fluid motor failure, and moisture in one tail light assembly. Other than those, no issues and has run great. I drive really spirited and I still average about 28mpg. The tech isn’t the best, but it’s not bad either. No blind spot detection but the visibility in the car is pretty good by itself. The main thing you’ll obviously lose out on is cargo space. You won’t be able to fit any large objects like full size luggage bags in the car unless you put it on top of the passenger seat maybe.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 03:31 AM   #3
Sophisto
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 / BMW 850iA

I couldn't find any offers so far but I never wouldn't mount all weather tyres to my i8.
Not really good on snow and ice and not enough grip in summer. Always a compromise.
Changing wheels is not a big job and done in minutes by any garage.

Wouldn't the new M850i be the better choice for you?
It has all the luxury gimmicks that you will miss in an i8 and should be very sportive to drive with the full M package.
Options like heated armrests and steering wheel willl make you happy in winter.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 07:04 AM   #4
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458, BMW i8, Acura NSX

I daily my i8 and it's no problem. I do have an SUV for if winter gets really bad.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 07:16 PM   #5
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

I also DD my i8 and have had very few concerns. I came from a loaded 550i, but don't really miss the features that aren't on the i8 other than the memory seats/electrical adjust steering wheel.

BTW, regarding the M850i option, one thing to be aware of is that the rear seat passenger clearance is no better than the i8. Some of the early marketing literature for the 8 series indicated it would be a true 4-seater rather than 2+2, but having sat in one recently, I was surprised how poor the back seat clearances (head and leg room) are.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 10:18 PM   #6
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Yes, I've been considering the 850, as well - it's essentially the evolution of my current 6, I believe, so I'm sure I'd be happy with it. The down side is that I just don't know how different of an experience it might be. I was hoping for something a bit different.

As for the all season tires, yes - they're a compromise. But I've never had a problem with them. The technology has gotten pretty sophisticated, so you get decent grip in all conditions. I don't drive my DD in any radical fashion (I have a summer sports car for that kind of fun), so I just really want to make sure the DD is prepared for any weather condition.

Have any of you fitted a different tire than the summer tires that come on the i8?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 11:10 PM   #7
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 i8 coupe,2019x5,2019 740i

I DD my i8 as well.
No issues whatsoever.
It makes an excellent daily driver in my opinion.
I love tech options, but don't miss them at all, as the pure fun driving makes up for it.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 08:09 AM   #8
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman777 View Post
I DD my i8 as well.
No issues whatsoever.
It makes an excellent daily driver in my opinion.
I love tech options, but don't miss them at all, as the pure fun driving makes up for it.
I have a Tesla Model X that I use as my Daily Driver. 250 miles of pure EV range, much easier to get in/out of, seats 7, and has lots of storage space.

My i8 Roadster is my touring/summer fun car. Limited EV range, no useful storage to speak of, but very comfortable for (and capable of) long trips.
Appreciate 0