Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

04-27-2022, 09:10 AM   #1
koch92
Rep
Drives: BMW 118i

Hi all,

My 2018 bmw i3s led headlight was broken so I bought a used 2021 led headlight replacement, I checked with the seller and he said it should work on mine. I have fitted it with the old 2018 modules (ballasts) of my car but I'm having the below issues:

- Error dash warnings showing dipped and high beam failure
- high beam and strip led work fine
- only dipped beam doesn't work although it does turn on when you play with stalk but turns off immediately.

Any idea what could it be causing this? I have attached the part labels of both headlights, note the part numbers don't match but the rest of numbers do. [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 09:20 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

There are two types of LED lights. One basic type, and with matrix technology with several sectors that can be controlled by the camera in the car. I guess they communicate differently with the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 10:30 AM   #3
koch92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
There are two types of LED lights. One basic type, and with matrix technology with several sectors that can be controlled by the camera in the car. I guess they communicate differently with the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Can coding solve the communication issue?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 10:17 PM   #4
GPVG39
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 I3s BEV, 2007 Yaris TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by koch92 View Post
Can coding solve the communication issue?
Did you change both sides? If you only changed one side, and if you are able to code, you will always get an error since one light will always be out of code. But either way, I have been told by my service dealer that you can’t swap one for the other.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2022, 02:56 AM   #5
alexpor
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPVG39 View Post
Did you change both sides? If you only changed one side, and if you are able to code, you will always get an error since one light will always be out of code. But either way, I have been told by my service dealer that you can’t swap one for the other.
so you mean we have to change both? business entity

Last edited by alexpor; 04-28-2022 at 04:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 03:06 AM   #6
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

It is probably not possible to have passive LED on one side, and adaptive LED on the other side. But I guess we don't know for sure which type any of your lights are.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2022, 10:48 PM   #7
GPVG39
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 I3s BEV, 2007 Yaris TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpor View Post
so you mean we have to change both? business entity
If you got passive LED, then both need to be passive, if you got adaptive LED, then you need both to be adaptive. Easy way to spot them is the internal of the passive is all black housing, the adaptive one has a chrome ring section around the bulb with black housing. You cannot have one of each, the computer will not work like that! But the other question is also weather you can code adaptive headlights on a car that came with passive headlight, I don’t think you can, but I might be wrong on that.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 08:04 AM   #8
koch92
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
so you mean we have to change both? [COLOR="White"][SIZE="1"]business entity[/SIZE][/COLOR]
If you got passive LED, then both need to be passive, if you got adaptive LED, then you need both to be adaptive. Easy way to spot them is the internal of the passive is all black housing, the adaptive one has a chrome ring section around the bulb with black housing. You cannot have one of each, the computer will not work like that! But the other question is also weather you can code adaptive headlights on a car that came with passive headlight, I don't think you can, but I might be wrong on that.
I'm I wrong to think the adaptive headlights have got "adaptive" engraved inside the headlight and the LEDs, just "LED" engraved? Both of the ones I have, got just "LED" engraved on them. So they both must be passive.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 08:06 AM   #9
koch92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koch92 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
If you got passive LED, then both need to be passive, if you got adaptive LED, then you need both to be adaptive. Easy way to spot them is the internal of the passive is all black housing, the adaptive one has a chrome ring section around the bulb with black housing. You cannot have one of each, the computer will not work like that! But the other question is also weather you can code adaptive headlights on a car that came with passive headlight, I don't think you can, but I might be wrong on that.
I'm I wrong to think the adaptive headlights have got "adaptive" engraved inside the headlight and the LEDs, just the led engraved? Both of the ones I have have got just LED engraved on them. So they both must be passive.
See different types are clearly distinguishable
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 02:13 PM   #10
koch92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouger_bmw View Post
yes they work completely different. So if you have LED from factory you will need LED and not ADAPTIVE LED. Anyway if you need them, I have a new pair complet and new ones with all control modules included. Mine are LED (passive led).
Where are you based please? They need to be from a right hand car.
Appreciate 0