Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

01-31-2022, 11:45 PM   #1
Taco2Me
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Question Windshield washer jets not spraying

Has anyone else had this problem? If so what solution did you find?

My windshield washer nozzles are not spraying, just barely dribbling out fluid. The reservoir is full, nothing is frozen (despite the cold temps), and the pump is working at least a bit because I can hear it and it does push out a little dribble.....but its not the blast it recently offered to clean the glass.

Any help appreciated.

Tacos
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 09:13 AM   #2
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
Probably a little ice lump somewhere in the line. If you can park it in a garage to thaw a little then try again.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 12:12 PM   #3
Taco2Me
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Realized I never followed up on this.

The problem was that the windshield washer fluid was aging, not being used enough, and so it was gel-ing in the bottom of the tank, pump, and lines.

I siphoned out the tank and the siphon tube pulled out globs of windshield washer fluid jelly. ick

Then, I flushed the tank thoroughly with water and more junk floated up and out. Then I siphoned the tap water out.

I then disconnected the washer fluid lines from the sprayers and let the old fluid in there drain out, globs of jellied washer fluid came out again. Flushed those tubes out, and reconnected everything back up.
I filled the reservoir with distilled water and pulled the stalk to pump the water and whatever else might have managed to stay in the system out. I let it spray for a good while to make sure the pump and lines were well flushed with distilled water.

Then I siphoned what was left of the distilled water out and refilled the reservoir with windshield washer fluid. Pulled the stalk to get the new fluid into the lines and sprayers to prevent possible future freezing.

Then I washed the car to get the excess fluid off the glass and paint.

Took about 30 minutes, start to finish. Easy job.

Lesson learned: use your windshield washer sprayer system regularly.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615271.00