Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

05-24-2022, 10:40 AM   #1
JoeCool88
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 94

Is the i3 passenger cell a Farady Cage?

As we all know the sheet metal passenger cell of a conventional car forms a Faraday Cage. I'm happy that it never happend to me, however scientists say that it protects you against the aftereffects of a lightning strike. Does anybody know if the i3 passenger cell, which is made of glas fiber and carbon fiber composite material, is a Faraday Cage, too?
If yes a short explanation why would calm me when driving through a Thunderstorm
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 03:23 PM   #2
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

well I guess its not a true faraday cage in any cars, if it was you phone would not work inside the car for example.

When I was an aircraft tech 20 years ago, the carbon fiber fairings on the planes were coated with a special conducting primer to divert lightning bolts to the special lightning diverters on the wings.

My guess is the BMW has either fitted some sort of conducting bonding between the parts of the body in the mold, or they have used a similar conducting primer.

I would not be worried about driving the car in a lightning storm.
-20 i3s
-20 Ducati Diavel 1260s
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 04:26 PM   #3
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie View Post
well I guess its not a true faraday cage in any cars, if it was you phone would not work inside the car for example.

When I was an aircraft tech 20 years ago, the carbon fiber fairings on the planes were coated with a special conducting primer to divert lightning bolts to the special lightning diverters on the wings.

My guess is the BMW has either fitted some sort of conducting bonding between the parts of the body in the mold, or they have used a similar conducting primer.

I would not be worried about driving the car in a lightning storm.
Conductive primer is also used to be able to paint the panels with electrostatic paint equipment.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 03:03 AM   #4
JoeCool88
Rep

So hopefully the lightning respects the anti static primer, when it arrives with the speed of light, approx. 40.000 Amps and up to 1 GV
I'll raise the question to BMW, keep you informed.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615269.50
      05-25-2022, 06:13 AM   #5
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

The current will want to follow the path of least resistance, which could very well be the conductive primer. But the capacity of the primer could be too low, causing some of the current to find alternative paths.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615269.50
      05-25-2022, 06:52 AM   #6
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
If a lightning bolt can jump 10km through air, I would not count on 1mm of conductive paint to stand in its way! Sorry grandma, but 1cm of rubber on my shoe soles also isn't going to save me from a direct strike, although it does help to prevent indirect-strike injury due to ground conduction from a nearby strike.....
      05-25-2022, 07:18 AM   #7
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
If a lightning bolt can jump 10km through air, I would not count on 1mm of conductive paint to stand in its way! Sorry grandma, but 1cm of rubber on my shoe soles also isn't going to save me from a direct strike, although it does help to prevent indirect-strike injury due to ground conduction from a nearby strike.....
The purpose of a faraday cage is not to stand in the way of the current, but to give it an easier way. And the paint is a lot less than 1 mm thick.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 11:54 AM   #8
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

As the lightning will take the path of least resistance to the ground, the primer will work.
Your tires are conductive, so the current will end up in the ground.

You will be fine as the current will follow the outer edge of the body/frame and through the tires to the ground.

If the conductive paint has worked guiding lightning on Boeing passenger airplanes for more than 60 years, it should work well on a car.
-20 i3s
-20 Ducati Diavel 1260s
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 01:20 AM   #9
JoeCool88
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie View Post
As the lightning will take the path of least resistance to the ground, the primer will work.
Your tires are conductive, so the current will end up in the ground.

You will be fine as the current will follow the outer edge of the body/frame and through the tires to the ground.

If the conductive paint has worked guiding lightning on Boeing passenger airplanes for more than 60 years, it should work well on a car.
I think it was the aluminium airframe Faraday Cage which protected the persons on board. Reason for the conductive paint is to permanently discharge the static charge coming from the "rubbing" of the air molecules on the airframe in flight. I contact BMW, then we will know how they solved the problem on the i3.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615269.50