Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

08-16-2016, 03:38 PM   #67
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

BTW - Another Tesla update JUST got released while I was out at lunch! My car asked me if it should apply the update now or wait until later tonight. The car told me it would take about 1:40 to apply so I guess I'll wait until tonight or just ask it to run the update when I get home.

THATS how Advanced Technology is supposed to work!

I wonder what new and improved goodness will be delivered with this new update! I'm looking forward to reading the release notes...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 04:25 PM   #68
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Range Anxiety? I don't have range anxiety. I have a pretty good idea of what my daily driving requirements might be - even on a busy day. The 250 mile range of my Model X easily meets that. When I get home at night I simply plug it in.. If I need to take a long road trip I take a different vehicle... Poof! No anxiety! (Nice buzzword though)
The only thing i'm in disagreement with you is that I would actually leave the ICE car at home and take my autopilot-tesla on the road trip
It will cost me exactly $0.00 to fill up and I can travel anywhere in US without range anxiety using supercharger network, while feeling rested from the long drives
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 05:08 PM   #69
HHBruin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 (Protonic Blue)

Quote:
Where do people get this crap? Who is feeding you this BS? I don't understand why there are so many EV haters. Lots of folks were scared by cars when they started replacing the horse and buggy too...

i don't think anyone is an EV hater. a lot of us are just pointing out some of the issues with Tesla's , and that it's not all sunshine and rainbows. i think you're just being a little overly defensive of your Tesla. and remember, you're on a BMW i8 forum here, it's not a Tesla forum.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 05:27 PM   #70
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
So when Tesla goes under, will BMW buy it? I tend to doubt it. It's got 7000 batteries and except for the autonomous features is pretty much 20 years out of date. (And where I live it drives like a slug. My then 18 year old daughter drove my i8 and her schoolmate's dad's Tesla S85 and said the Tesla was a pig on the road. And ergonomically questionable.)

BMW is using new technologies. Tesla not so much except for the computerization. And to remind us of that they plop a ridiculous laptop on the center console and think they've done a great job on the interior switchgear.

No.

https://www.wired.com/2016/04/teslas...-falcon-doors/
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 03:22 AM   #71
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBMW02 View Post
I'm sorry but I would not buy the I8 if it was 30K! I rode in my friends and I thought I was in a golf cart! Suppose I'm old school, I have had 10 BMW since '96, incl 3 M3, M Roadster and Z4 35is. My current BMW is 2014 X5 35i.

I just bought a Shelby GT 350, No pumped in noise, just amazing V8 at 8250 rpm! And for 58K!
Fair enough. I don't buy steak either when I'm actually shopping for sausages.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 08:34 AM   #72
FrannyB
Rep
Drives: 2015 Ionic Silver i8

My concern is not so much range anxiety, but charge-time anxiety... That is why the i8 is so appealing. I would love to see the all electric range in the i8 to go up to, 40-50 miles, but I'm not ready for all electric. I really like the idea of an ICE in there to make the car a true go anywhere car. From a practicality point, I can't remember the last time I went to fill up with gas and I had an extra 30-60 minutes to just kill right then. I think of the i8 as having two fuel tanks - one I can fill at home and one I can fill on the road. Cool thing is it can use either and both.

I hold ALL cars to the same measuring stick - they have to be "interesting" in their own light (wonderfully subjective). Then I try to figure out how much I'll pay for all this interesting-ness.

I guess I don't really see the point in 750HP in a GT road car. I have a 450HP/450Ft-lbs car and it is a real hoot on an entrance ramp, but I can really only do a good pull once or twice on the way home and even then, it is only for a few seconds and I'm "probably" above the limit. 750 would be a bit insane and all electric? I think if the i8 could nestle in at the 450 level and keep that 1/2 of a six, and, with no charge anxiety, they would be in a great place. Maybe add a few more cool tech features and that would be the sweet spot. I would also focus on the front hood/bonnet. That seems to me to be a bit half baked. By re-arranging things and putting in a proper latch and hinges it could be useful storage space. I always loved the front and back of our Boxster.

So, full disclosure I've never owned a BMW - never been able to pull the trigger. I've only owned German cars (and one Swedish), but I have never been able to make the Interesting/Money ratio work out for me until the i8. I don't want four doors and I don't really want a back seat (just storage). The Spyder would really push me over the edge, not, so much, 750HP. The i8 is a great start and a great car as is, but if I was BMW, I would spend time/money on usefulness refinement and not chase crazy HP. The looks are great, the doors and the materials and so much else is spot on.

Franny
Appreciate 1
Aye-eight508.50
      08-17-2016, 09:18 AM   #73
Amgeater2
Major
Rep
Drives: X6M, M8, Mc 600LT, 296GTB

Between AndreyATC and evanevery this Thread is NOW EV blah blah blah... dont reply just go the X Forum and the other one to the M4/3 forum !! we thank you for all your EV information..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 09:57 AM   #74
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Folks are talking about the i8 (and i3) and comparing them to other EV offerings. If YOU don't want to play, or are not interested, please feel free to go elsewhere or unsubscribe...

I watch the i8 forum because I am interested in BMW EV development. Sorry if that bothers folks. ...or maybe they just don't like to hear constructive criticism about the "i" brand.

Tesla is doing some really cool stuff. For the benefit of the ignorant: Its not just a laptop bolted onto the console. Its an automobile COMPLETELY integrated through a common computer (not just a collection of isolated systems). Everything talks with everything else. That's just one of the things that sets Tesla apart in their design. It lets them do a lot of really cool stuff that makes you wonder why no one has done this sooner.

I watch the i8 forum because maybe I'll buy one as a second EV when they release the Spyder (if that actually should happen) to replace my M6 convertible. The whole point here, IMHO, is that if people are wondering why BMW is not particularly competitive in the EV market, then maybe its because neither the i8 or the i3 make a good choice for a primary EV (most EV owners only have one). The i3 is just not compelling at any level, and the i8 is not a practical car by any means. So, BMW is having issues unloading the i3's, and the i8's are mostly being sold as an interesting niche vehicle. I believe that's why the "i" brand has never really achieved any market penetration.

Meanwhile, Tesla can't keep up with orders for their existing product lines (S and X). They also have about 400,000 ***PAID*** reservations for a car that doesn't even exist yet and won't be delivered until sometime in 2017 (the Model 3). Tesla's biggest challenge is expanding to keep up with their success. There are worse problems to have...

That's called a "Win" in anyone's book... (If you are honest). You can bury your head in the sand, anesthetize yourself with denial, or paint their accomplishments with petty analogies if it makes you feel better, but Tesla must be doing something right! I look to these forums to see what BMW is doing to try and catch up. Its a challenge and opportunity for BMW...

I'm pulling for BMW, not bashing them. I like EV's. I watch the "i" forums to see whats developing. I'm hopeful. They just don't have an EV product which competes well in the mass market. Yet...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 10:39 AM   #75
Amgeater2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Folks are talking about the i8 (and i3) and comparing them to other EV offerings. If YOU don't want to play, or are not interested, please feel free to go elsewhere or unsubscribe...

I watch the i8 forum because I am interested in BMW EV development. Sorry if that bothers folks. ...or maybe they just don't like to hear constructive criticism about the "i" brand.

Tesla is doing some really cool stuff. For the benefit of the ignorant: Its not just a laptop bolted onto the console. Its an automobile COMPLETELY integrated through a common computer (not just a collection of isolated systems). Everything talks with everything else. That's just one of the things that sets Tesla apart in their design. It lets them do a lot of really cool stuff that makes you wonder why no one has done this sooner.

I watch the i8 forum because maybe I'll buy one as a second EV when they release the Spyder (if that actually should happen) to replace my M6 convertible. The whole point here, IMHO, is that if people are wondering why BMW is not particularly competitive in the EV market, then maybe its because neither the i8 or the i3 make a good choice for a primary EV (most EV owners only have one). The i3 is just not compelling at any level, and the i8 is not a practical car by any means. So, BMW is having issues unloading the i3's, and the i8's are mostly being sold as an interesting niche vehicle. I believe that's why the "i" brand has never really achieved any market penetration.

Meanwhile, Tesla can't keep up with orders for their existing product lines (S and X). They also have about 400,000 ***PAID*** reservations for a car that doesn't even exist yet and won't be delivered until sometime in 2017 (the Model 3). Tesla's biggest challenge is expanding to keep up with their success. There are worse problems to have...

That's called a "Win" in anyone's book... (If you are honest). You can bury your head in the sand, anesthetize yourself with denial, or paint their accomplishments with petty analogies if it makes you feel better, but Tesla must be doing something right! I look to these forums to see what BMW is doing to try and catch up. Its a challenge and opportunity for BMW...

I'm pulling for BMW, not bashing them. I like EV's. I watch the "i" forums to see whats developing. I'm hopeful. They just don't have an EV product which competes well in the mass market. Yet...
FOLKS here were NOT TALKING about EV and coparing the I3 or I8 until BOTH of you guys came in to a Thread that CLEARLY states up top

"Next Gen Full Electric BMW i8 May Feature 750 HP".... it doesn't state TESLA anywhere or EV Tesla comments here or why to buy one !!!

So again ITS an i8 FORUM SECTION !!! do you have one ? NO YOU dont so YES WE dont want to play your EV blah blah blah !!! we are NOT are not interested, YOU feel free to go elsewhere or unsubscribe...

NO MORE TESLA NONSENSE !!!
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2016, 01:22 PM   #76
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Nope... Not gonna happen... I'm not going anywhere... You don't have to own a specific vehicle to participate in a specific forum. Hell, you don't even have to own a BMW.

"Extreme Vetting"! I get it! You just don't want to deal with anyone not exactly like you. Too "effing" bad!

Why are you so afraid of of comparing the i3/i8 to Tesla vehicles? Its a relevant discussion. I'm here because I'm trying to keep up with changes in the i8. Folks talk about Porsche Cayman vs M4, or maybe Mercedes vs BMW all the time in other forums. No one seems to have any issues elsewhere. Some people learn things and some agree to disagree...

Maybe you're happier with your head in the sand... That's OK. But you have no right to tell folks they can't participate in a discussion...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 01:42 PM   #77
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgeater2 View Post
FOLKS here were NOT TALKING about EV and coparing the I3 or I8 until BOTH of you guys came in to a Thread that CLEARLY states up top "Next Gen Full Electric BMW i8 May Feature 750 HP"....
WRONG AGAIN!

Out of curiosity, I looked through the thread and here are the other folks IN THIS THREAD who were ALREADY DISCUSSING and comparing Tesla vehicles before ANDREYATC spoke up in post #42:

Mo #8
MileHighM3 #21
MotorsportEnterprise #28
yousefnjy #30
e92miami #31
mfnatik #39
A1PericoM3 #41
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 02:39 PM   #78
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgeater2 View Post
FOLKS here were NOT TALKING about EV and coparing the I3 or I8 until BOTH of you guys came in to a Thread that CLEARLY states up top

"Next Gen Full Electric BMW i8 May Feature 750 HP".... it doesn't state TESLA anywhere or EV Tesla comments here or why to buy one !!!

So again ITS an i8 FORUM SECTION !!! do you have one ? NO YOU dont so YES WE dont want to play your EV blah blah blah !!! we are NOT are not interested, YOU feel free to go elsewhere or unsubscribe...

NO MORE TESLA NONSENSE !!!
This guys mad, lol
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 03:15 PM   #79
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

More insecure than mad, I think...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 03:28 PM   #80
Amgeater2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery
More insecure than mad, I think...
Now I am insecure, the level of maturity here is just too high... I am on my way to find my security back at a tesla dealership... I bet they have that there inside the car just waiting.

As you wish continue your EV and mambo Jumbo crap...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 04:49 PM   #81
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

The. i8. Is. Not. An. EV.

And that's what won me over vs. a Tesla. 0-60 means next to nothing in 99.9% of driving situations. What's your range when you lead-foot it? How long does it take you to actually travel 500 miles flat-out incl. recharging (and considering that the wonderful quoted recharge times are usually for 80% recharge, so even less range)?

In the i8, it takes about four hours, including three 10-minute fuel stops and allowing for some traffic (okay, in Germany at least). You'd need at least three recharges as well, maybe four, if they're 80% each. At 45 minutes for each of them, you'd already be about two hours behind. If you want to do less charging, you'll have to signiicantly cut your speed. And while your charges may be free, how much do you spend on capucchinos while you're waiting? And once you're off the highways, you're mostly off the supercharger grid. Now, we're talking about finding a place to stay for the night ...

Maybe in your country, it's all about drag strip bragging rights. Over here, we actually drive our cars. And most of the wonderful "integrated" things that your Tesla does is Google stuff that can be done with any cell phone or by adding an IFTTT recipe to the car. I don't buy into the marketing, thanks.

But I do appreciate that Musk has shaken up the car industry and got them off their butts. I am thankful for that.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 08:56 PM   #82
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I cannot see which country you're from, app is not showing this info
However, in US, you cannot cover 500m distance in 4 hours without going to jail.
Typical speed limit is about 65mph
I would have to stop once to charge to cover 500 miles. And yes, it takes longer than filling up gas, unless there is a long line on gas station.
So, I spend 40min you spend 30, or whatever
Bottom line is, my car has full tank every day, when i leave my house
I don't spend my time throughout the year to go to gas station to fill up
With 52 weeks that could add up!!
And trust me I'm fully charged before I even get my kids together after the restroom and snack while supercharging

P.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight View Post
The. i8. Is. Not. An. EV.
you should read the title of the thread

Last edited by AndreyATC; 08-17-2016 at 09:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 10:15 PM   #83
Godchild14
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
Attachment 1475320The BMW i8 is still due a facelift next year, but the rumor mill for the second generation i8 is already churning.

We previously reported that the next gen i8 should be going fully electric. Now, Automobile has put a potential power figure on the full electric drivetrain -- 750 HP (compared to the current 357 HP). Three electric motors will combine to output this figure and a far more substantial battery will be good for 300 miles per charge. Power will be sent to all four wheels.

The report also claims that the next gen i8 will feature rear wheel steering, torque vectoring, and a prescient active suspension which will constantly adjust and preset the suspension based on a scan of the road ahead.
That's very exciting and jumping for joy kind of news hopefully it's true. Recently I drove to Canada Quebec City and that's about 371 miles and that was about 5 hours of driving in those mountains and I had fun driving my M3 even tough I didn't want to put miles on my M3 I had no choice because my 535Xi needed tires and pulleys and it wasn't going to be ready in time but it was fun finally reach 40k miles on my M on my way back when I reached Albany
      08-18-2016, 12:47 AM   #84
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyATC View Post
I cannot see which country you're from, app is not showing this info
However, in US, you cannot cover 500m distance in 4 hours without going to jail.
Typical speed limit is about 65mph
I would have to stop once to charge to cover 500 miles. And yes, it takes longer than filling up gas, unless there is a long line on gas station.
So, I spend 40min you spend 30, or whatever
Bottom line is, my car has full tank every day, when i leave my house
I don't spend my time throughout the year to go to gas station to fill up
With 52 weeks that could add up!!
And trust me I'm fully charged before I even get my kids together after the restroom and snack while supercharging

P.S.

you should read the title of the thread
I shouldn't expect everyone to let simple math get in the way of their preconceptions. At 65 mph, the i8 needs one 10 minute stop, and the range afterwards is 100% again, not 75 or 80.

And if you read the headline and the thread carefully, you'd see that the headline is a out a possible future EV i8, while most of the discussion has been around the current i8 vs. Teslas. Hence my statement.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 01:23 AM   #85
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
P.S.: I have lived in the US for six years. Nobody religiously follows the speed limit. If you got a long way to go, you'll be doing 75. That's why you all buy radar detectors, is it not?

So, what's your range at 75 mph? 180 miles, maybe 150? Especially if you get 80% only. The website doesn't let you select 75 mph, but the range drops 20-25 miles from 65 to 70, depending on the model. And that's the marketing-enhanced version of the numbers. As wind resistance grows exponentially with speed, you'll be losing at least another 30 miles going from 70 mph to 75.

So now, you're having to stop twice at least. I still need only one fill-up. You're over an hour behind now. And your 0-60 means nothing.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 08:26 AM   #86
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight View Post
P.S.: I have lived in the US for six years. Nobody religiously follows the speed limit. If you got a long way to go, you'll be doing 75. That's why you all buy radar detectors, is it not?

So, what's your range at 75 mph? 180 miles, maybe 150? Especially if you get 80% only. The website doesn't let you select 75 mph, but the range drops 20-25 miles from 65 to 70, depending on the model. And that's the marketing-enhanced version of the numbers. As wind resistance grows exponentially with speed, you'll be losing at least another 30 miles going from 70 mph to 75.

So now, you're having to stop twice at least. I still need only one fill-up. You're over an hour behind now. And your 0-60 means nothing.
Ok, the only reason i stop twice on 500-mile trip is if i have to use bathroom twice. EPA rating as about 270, but i always beat it by good margin once on a freeway and taking advantage of dual-motor torque sleep feature. At 65mph steady speed i can easily cover close to 300 miles.
70 will drop me to about 275, and 75 to about 250+
Tesla has the best drag coefficient of any production car
While the speed has affect on range, it's not as bad below 80
Not sure where your figures come from, mine are from 3 years of experience driving Teslas.
So, in case i do plan to stop twice, it will improve my charging speed and i only will charge 20min on each stop
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 12:22 PM   #87
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I got to disagree with AndreyATC on this...

I'm not gonna take a road trip and stop every 3 hours for 30 min at a time. I might try it just for fun sometime (running the Supercharger network), but its just not an efficient way to move about. I'll trade my time and flexibility for the cost of gas on a long trip anytime... So I don't see a pure EV as a good choice for long trips. But that's just me... Maybe when they start getting 500 miles/charge (in 30 minutes) that might change my mind.

I have a 900 mile road trip coming up on Saturday (going to the BMW Advanced M school in Charlotte), and I really wish I could take my Tesla! In fact, I wouldn't have taken my Volt either (even with the ICE backup) - its just not the right tool for the job.

And yes, the i8 is NOT an EV, but it is competing in that space. I had a Volt for 4 years (which was also technically a hybrid) but we never ran it on gas either. I guess it was OK to have an ICE backup in the car, but then you also have to haul around an engine, transmission or generator, and all the support equipment that goes along with it. ...you also have all the routine maintenance requirements that come with an ICE but are virtually non-existent on a pure EV.

I think its far better to have a pure EV which can easily meets your needs than a Hybrid just because it has an ICE backup. On the other hand, a plug-in hybrid might be OK for a single vehicle owner, but that might be a more serious consideration for a pure EV.

EV's aren't the answer for everything. That's not a fair appraisal either. But they really do make a very nice daily driver if you have a second car for longer trips.

250 miles per day is a lot of miles though....
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 12:42 PM   #88
Mightymousemighty
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: i8(16) RangeR (15) TeslaX (17)

I've got an i8 and I'm gonna get a model X in the next few months.

Both great cars, cutting edge and individual in their own way.

No need to compare, they complement different needs. No car does everything well but in my view they both do a hell of a lot better than most!
Appreciate 1