BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

01-05-2023, 01:57 PM   #1
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
So has anyone been able to successfully activate the eSIM with AT&T yet? I just canceled the Connected Car line on my M550 since I’m about to trade it in, but I would like to know what to expect when I take delivery of my iX in a few days. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 08:32 PM   #2
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
I've seen a report of same, but I haven't been able to get it to operate with T-Mobile (several months between BMW and T-Mobile). Next stop is dealer to see if they have any luck - my Genius and I are going to slap diagnostics on it and check out the TCU. The entire process of setting it up and getting it to work has been problematic with multiple users - good luck!
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2023, 08:47 PM   #3
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
I've seen a report of same, but I haven't been able to get it to operate with T-Mobile (several months between BMW and T-Mobile). Next stop is dealer to see if they have any luck - my Genius and I are going to slap diagnostics on it and check out the TCU. The entire process of setting it up and getting it to work has been problematic with multiple users - good luck!
I played around with the app and AT&T and T-Mobile are both listed. You have to have a phone number available to grab before you try to set it up through the app. I’ll let you know my experience after I get my iX tomorrow!
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA1363.00
      01-06-2023, 09:21 PM   #4
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Yeah it seems AT&T capable but it requires an existing account. Kind of a bummer because with my Volvo I signed up for a year prepaid AT&T a la carte. Would have loved to do the same on the iX but AT&T is treating it differently.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2023, 09:42 PM   #5
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Yeah it seems AT&T capable but it requires an existing account. Kind of a bummer because with my Volvo I signed up for a year prepaid AT&T a la carte. Would have loved to do the same on the iX but AT&T is treating it differently.
Found this on the AT&T site. Here is the “Getting Started” link:

https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1494540

By the way, AT&T NumberSync is their call forwarding feature for your existing mobile service. This is how the Apple Watch cellular models work with AT&T. This might be an issue if you don’t already have them for mobile service.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Paladin15569.50
SkykingUSA1363.00
      01-06-2023, 09:55 PM   #6
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
I played around with the app and AT&T and T-Mobile are both listed. You have to have a phone number available to grab before you try to set it up through the app. I’ll let you know my experience after I get my iX tomorrow!
You bet. Have a T-Mobile account - T-Mobile actually has a special Magenta Drive team (called NumberSync with AT&T), but they are as randomly (as in, not very) knowledgeable at the same level as most of the special BMW EV Genius team. Between my not inconsiderable IT skills, T-Mobile and BMW, none of us have been able to get the eSIM to work properly ("properly" as in everything it's supposed to do). I DID get it activated - several times - and was able to receive calls and text - just not send calls or make an Internet connection. It shows as an additional drive on my T-Mobile account, it's linked to my mobile number (Android), but no joy in getting it to work. Troubleshooting (multiple attempts at all of these): deleted MyBMW app, reinstalled app. Deleted my profile, reinstalled profile. Deleted eSIM, reinstalled eSIM (it's a "software" SIM). Deactivated, reactivated eSIM. Uninstalled from T-Mobile account, reinstalled. Removed phone from car, re-added. Set car back to factory. Rebooted car in every configuration. Meantime, MyBMW app has been updated at least twice, and iD8 has been updated once. Still inop. To all appearances, the Magenta Drive line is active in my T-Mobile account and linked to my phone. Current status is "activated" in MyBMW, but the car says it's blocked in the app. The app says it's not. It has been literally man-weeks of effort and frustration, and no closer to working. BMW has alternately said it's T-Mobile's problem, T-Mobile swears it's BMW's problem, and the single thing I'm confident of is that neither of them know a) as much as I do, and b) what they're talking about. So there we are, more to follow after I visit with my Genius (who actually is pretty good at what he does, and has spent many man-hours in their dealer demo, but still learning like me). My strong suspicion is that it's a MyBMW issue, a BMW server issue, an iD8 issue (connected with Android phone integration), and/or perhaps a TCU issue, or all of them combined. Results TBD.

Last edited by Paladin1; 01-06-2023 at 10:00 PM..
Appreciate 2
      01-06-2023, 09:58 PM   #7
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You bet. Have a T-Mobile account - T-Mobile actually has a special Magenta Drive team (called NumberSync with AT&T), but they are as randomly (as in, not very) knowledgeable at the same level as most of the special BMW EV Genius team. Between my not inconsiderable IT skills, T-Mobile and BMW, none of us have been able to get the eSIM to work properly ("properly" as in everything it's supposed to do). I DID get it activated - several times - and was able to receive calls and text - just not send calls or make an Internet connection. It shows as an additional drive on my T-Mobile account, it's linked to my mobile number (Android), but no joy in getting it to work. Troubleshooting (multiple attempts at all of these): deleted MyBMW app, reinstalled app. Deleted my profile, reinstalled profile. Deleted eSIM, reinstalled eSIM (it's a "software" SIM). Deactivated, reactivated eSIM. Uninstalled from T-Mobile account, reinstalled. Removed phone from car, re-added. Set car back to factory. Rebooted car in every configuration. Meantime, MyBMW app has been updated at least twice, and iD8 has been updated once. Still inop. To all appearances, the Magenta Drive line is active in my T-Mobile account and linked to my phone. Current status is "activated" in MyBMW, but the car says it's blocked in the app. The app says it's not. It has been literally man-days of effort and frustration, and no closer to working. BMW has alternately said it's T-Mobile's problem, T-Mobile swears it's BMW's problem, and the single thing I'm confident of is that neither of them know [...]
I’ve had AT&T for over 20 years and have used NumerSync on every Apple Watch I’ve had. Unlike my connected car service in my M550, it’s not a separate line. It uses your existing mobile number for data and adds hotspot capability to the vehicle. The benefit of this is you’ll be able to take calls, even if your phone is not with you. I didn’t realize until just now that they are doing these new BMWs just like the Apple Watch cellular models. I actually prefer this way and will activate it tomorrow once I get the vehicle. Wish me luck!
Appreciate 2
Paladin15569.50
SkykingUSA1363.00
      01-06-2023, 10:12 PM   #8
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I’ve had AT&T for over 20 years and have used NumerSync on every Apple Watch I’ve had. Unlike my connected car service in my M550, it’s not a separate line. It uses your existing mobile number for data and adds hotspot capability to the vehicle. The benefit of this is you’ll be able to take calls, even if your phone is not with you. I didn’t realize until just now that they are doing these new BMWs just like the Apple Watch cellular models. I actually prefer this way and will activate it tomorrow once I get the vehicle. Wish me luck!
Indeed, best of luck! I actually have a physical SIM in my remaining x5 that's connected to a separate AT&T account and it works fabulously (even through a Sprint to T-Mobile swap). Final act in the play for me (assuming all the hardware checks out) is to have AT&T pull the T-Mobile chips from the phones and switch to AT&T (they actually have a better network locally, just not as good nationally for 5G). I wouldn't be worse off if it didn't work, and their mobile plans are about the same rate.
Appreciate 2
      01-06-2023, 10:15 PM   #9
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Indeed, best of luck! I actually have a physical SIM in my remaining x5 that's connected to a separate AT&T account and it works fabulously (even through a Sprint to T-Mobile swap). Final act in the play for me (assuming all the hardware checks out) is to have AT&T pull the T-Mobile chips from the phones and switch to AT&T (they actually have a better network locally, just not as good nationally for 5G). I wouldn't be worse off if it didn't work, and their mobile plans are about the same rate.
AT&T is usually the first carrier to adopt these newest technologies. I’ve never had any technical issues with connected car. And this will be my third or fourth vehicle. Being that it works just like my Apple Watch cellular model, I’m confident it’s going to work fine. I’ll report back tomorrow morning! I’ll have this thing activated before I leave the dealership, so my radar detector gets over the air updates!
Appreciate 2
Paladin15569.50
SkykingUSA1363.00
      01-06-2023, 10:21 PM   #10
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
AT&T is usually the first carrier to adopt these newest technologies. I’ve never had any technical issues with connected car. And this will be my third or fourth vehicle. Being that it works just like my Apple Watch cellular model, I’m confident it’s going to work fine. I’ll report back tomorrow morning! I’ll have this thing activated before I leave the dealership, so my radar detector gets over the air updates!
I'm guessing you'll be successful, because - Apple. BMW just can't seem to get their collective heads around getting Android to work seamlessly or reliably in any BMW I've owned (and for years it was an Apple-only desert). Will be interested to hear your experience!
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2023, 05:31 AM   #11
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

I’ve got a Cadillac that I get standalone data from AT&T via OnStar subscription.

Would love an arrangement like that. Hotspot through a cellular provider, and then my existing phone for calls.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA1363.00
      01-07-2023, 06:05 AM   #12
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
I’ve got a Cadillac that I get standalone data from AT&T via OnStar subscription.

Would love an arrangement like that. Hotspot through a cellular provider, and then my existing phone for calls.
I used to work for General Motors corporate, so I’m familiar with what you have. This is actually a much better solution because whenever your phone rings, your vehicle will ring at the same time even if your phone is left at home. Any calls you make will come from your number despite the number that’s assigned to the eSIM. This is exactly how the Apple Watch cellular models work with AT&T.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 11:49 AM   #13
Electric Sloth
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW iX

Quote:
I used to work for General Motors corporate, so I’m familiar with what you have. This is actually a much better solution because whenever your phone rings, your vehicle will ring at the same time even if your phone is left at home. Any calls you make will come from your number despite the number that’s assigned to the eSIM. This is exactly how the Apple Watch cellular models work with AT&T.
The downside to the new system is if you get to your destination and want to get out of the car, you can't just take the call with you. You have to hang up and restart the call. You don't have to worry about that with Apple Watch since it goes with you regardless.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA1363.00
      01-07-2023, 12:04 PM   #14
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
I’m with ya, totally get the benefits. The thing I like about the caddy system is I don’t need to be an existing att wireless customer for it
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA1363.00
      01-07-2023, 12:27 PM   #15
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
I have both T-Mobile and AT&T. I primarily use T-Mobile 5G on the boat and AT&T for my phone. This actually works pretty well since there are coverage gaps for one carrier that will have service from the other carrier. I like the redundancy.

With AT&T using the same virtual number across multiple device there is a separation that no longer exists. This is good for the scenario of forgetting your phone at home but how often does that really happen? I either have my phone or watch or both at all times. I guess it depends on the user. I do sometimes let a family member use my car and I don't think I want them getting my phone calls if I lend them the car. Forget about taking your car into service or for folks who valet their car. I think I would rather have the car on it's own line.
      01-07-2023, 02:36 PM   #16
xueju1121
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Google Fi user crying in the corner here.

I would love to have a stand-alone option.
      01-07-2023, 03:05 PM   #17
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Activated with AT&T on the first try. The wizard was super easy to use. You do have to have an existing mobile phone with AT&T and this just mirrors your existing number, just like an Apple Watch cellular model. Any calls made from the car, even if your phone is not in it, will appear to come from your main phone number. Works great so far.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-07-2023, 03:15 PM   #18
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Activated with AT&T on the first try. The wizard was super easy to use. You do have to have an existing mobile phone with AT&T and this just mirrors your existing number, just like an Apple Watch cellular model. Any calls made from the car, even if your phone is not in it, will appear to come from your main phone number. Works great so far.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2023, 03:04 AM   #19
jvelos3
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw ix xdrive50

Does this only apply to 23 models?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 06:52 AM   #20
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvelos3 View Post
Does this only apply to 23 models?
Basically any vehicle with iDrive 8. So the 2022-2023 electric models so far plus the new 7-Series lineup.

https://about.att.com/story/2022/numbersync-bmw.html

“Have you ever left your home without your smartphone and had to go back to get it? That won’t be the case anymore for owners of the BMW i4, iX, and select 2023 BMW vehicles equipped with BMW Personal eSIM.”
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2023, 08:57 AM   #21
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Eh, with my car keys, credit cards, and drivers license on my smartphone I’m definitely going back to get it
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2023, 09:04 AM   #22
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Eh, with my car keys, credit cards, and drivers license on my smartphone I’m definitely going back to get it
You start the process in the BMW app. When it asks you for your phone number, put in your primary cell phone no that your have with AT&T. That’s the number that will NumberSync to your car. Upon completion you will see the additional line with a new phone number in your AT&T account. Like like an Apple Watch cellular model, this new phone number is just an identity no. It will not be what people see when you make outbound calls from the car.
Appreciate 0