BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

05-24-2022, 05:12 PM   #1
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E 2017

Roaring noise

Anyone experienced a roaring bass noise only on the driver side when above 50 on motorway.

Seems to come and go depending on surface but the weird thing is when I move my head lower and towards the passenger it completely disappears.

Passenger can't hear it at all only heard high in cabin in around drivers head area.

I'm thinking possible window seal not sealing properly on driver side only and letting tyre noise in on noise surfaces or a bad tyre or alignment on the drivers side.

We just purchased the car 2021 model 3000km.

Maybe previous owner kept closing the door by the windows which I know can cause issues on frameless door BMWs with sealing.

Still under warranty what do you all think.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 06:09 PM   #2
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Alignment was off bad toe angle one side so now it's corrected much quieter but wind noise is high.

Think the window positions need adjustment as they are very loose. With them being frameless this is letting in noise will try get BMW to adjust them under the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 07:09 PM   #3
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Fixed the windows by adjusting the doors in tighter and cleaning seals with silicone remover.

Roaring still evident so back to BMW think it's a. Bearing or top mount that's bad. Wheels seems to click when pulling at 12 o'clock.

Will advise outcome.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 03:36 AM   #4
bitmanEV
Rep
Drives: BMW i3

Garage List
I had my drivers door realligned by the dealer (warrantie) as it rattled a bit
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 12:20 PM   #5
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Assume your kidding there! Electric car and exhausts?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 08:31 PM   #6
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CnSky View Post
Assume your kidding there! Electric car and exhausts?
It's an SEO spambot or scammer, making jibberish posts all over the forums and having two "friends" follow it around liking every post. Feel free to click the warning triangle to report it as spam.....
      03-04-2023, 03:47 PM   #7
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Solve this today- new top mounts fitted under warranty no more knocking and no booming noisy interior.

BMW first changed the front shock which made no change a few months ago, note the manual states if they change a shock for possible damage they must change the top mount at same time (aux mount in manual) don’t let them not change it.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 06:42 AM   #8
Dlanod
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW i3S

Garage List
2022 BMW i3S  [0.00]
I have excess wind noise at motorway speeds from high up on drivers side too. Been like this from new. 2022 i3 S.

It’s a lease via my employer and the local BMW dealers are not great - very real chance that if I put it in it’ll come back with a fresh issue.

Which is why I’m also not doing anything about a slightly off centre steering wheel. And also why when the drivers door handle came off in my hand shortly after delivery, I reinstalled it properly myself rather than return it to the dealer.

They managed to damage the door of my Mini countryman a few years back and scrape the bumpers with dragging a hose around thr car to wash it.

I do like driving BMWs though.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 10:04 AM   #9
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

I adjusted the doors myself you can easily move the rear door top latch in a little by taking the plastic cover off (pops off by hand) and using a torx bit to loosen then move inward the latch and do same to the lower latches then do a test drive, if you still hear wind noise then adjust front door latches inwards also as the rear doors control how tight the front doors are before adjusting the rear. Then clean the seals with silicone remover to stop squeaking. It made a huge difference, we have possible the quietest I3S interior.

I also had my BMW garage adjust the door glass, if you look on the glass there is a strange horizontal line marking near the bottom of the glass pane, the top line on that marking should line up with the lower rubber door seal when the door is open, if it’s too low then the windows are not going up high enough to properly seal seal out air, you can feel air sneaking in by putting your hand in the rear seal area if the window.

If your hearing a roaring that isn’t clearly wind noise it could be the top mounts they make a reverb through the car that makes it hard to talk to anyone in the rear seat, rear passenger just can’t hear you without the driver raising their voice if that’s the problem, also any uneven surface causes knocking when the top mounts are bad.
Appreciate 0