BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

11-16-2021, 07:28 PM   #1
thesubmitter
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 BMW i8 Acura MDX

Water in trunk

So the stupid rubber seal issue happened on my 2019 i8. It was like that for a while and I informed the dealer about condensation in the trunk a few months ago anyways my appointment came yesterday for my trunk which has been stuck close for 3 weeks. As I am driving it to the dealer , I hear a massive pop and then this loud static and my audio stops playing. I get a drivetrain malfunction error take my car to the dealer.

They inform me there was water in the trunk and they are replacing modules and the seal. I am concerned now about long term issues.

On top of it they had to disassemble the back seat to access the trunk and they think the trunk isn’t opening for the same reason. I am so pissed off , because I mentioned the condensation in the trunk during a previous visit and they ignored me. on top of it they gave me a 2 series as a loaner……
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 03:29 PM   #2
thesubmitter
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

They swapped out the modules
Fixed the Trunk
They need to replace the stereo amp which has a 20 day back order
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 01:08 PM   #3
thesubmitter
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

got my car back, interesting without the sound system "amplifying" the engine noise of the car. It isn't a massive difference. You hear a bit more subtle noises like the shifting sounds slight more aggressive.

In any case, the car still has "condensation" in the trunk. Not Sure if this is normal.

I am annoyed that the water in the trunk will have had some long term impacts on the electronics and wiring or something. The technician there won't be any long term impacts because the car is carbon fibre....
Appreciate 0