BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

11-19-2016, 07:58 PM   #1
buddenfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: i8

BMW I8 tire went flat what should I do?

I thought bmw cars had run flats??

I was driving home and on one street half the road was lower due to construction and when the car drove over it and back onto normal road there was a load bop sound then I started hearing the left front tire making a sound and the tire pressure monitor went off showing 0 psi on the front left tire.

I was next to a tire shop and the guy took a look, the tire had a hole. This shop didnt have a replacement tire like it so he plugged the hole to his best ability just so I can get home on it and put the car in the garage.

What should I do? Should I call concierge on Monday and have them tow the car to a local BMW service center and change the tire for me?

I use the car daily and hope this wont be a long process.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 08:13 PM   #2
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
As far as I know, the i8 doesn't have run flats.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 02:36 AM   #3
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Sorry to hear that , I thought BMW i8s came with run flat tires anyhow there's a slightly misconception that run flat tires can be driven no matter what . Run flat makes you enable to drive the car at a known distance before leaving you stranded
      11-20-2016, 02:41 AM   #4
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
Sorry to hear that , I thought BMW i8s came with run flat tires anyhow there's a slightly misconception that run flat tires can be driven no matter what . Run flat makes you enable to drive the car at a known distance before leaving you stranded
I hope folks don't think you can drive forever if they are damaged. The idea is that even with no pressure, the sidewall is stiff enough to support the load.

The i8 actually comes with the mobility kit to do quick repairs yourself, and it's not for run flats.
Appreciate 1
Aye-eight508.50
      11-20-2016, 02:48 AM   #5
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock View Post
I hope folks don't think you can drive forever if they are damaged. The idea is that even with no pressure, the sidewall is stiff enough to support the load.

The i8 actually comes with the mobility kit to do quick repairs yourself, and it's not for run flats.

I will check that out , I think you're right .I remember something sitting in the trunk .I drove G12 BMW 7 series , that car came with the run flats
Thanks for correction
      11-20-2016, 03:34 AM   #6
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock View Post

This is a key point. "Run flat" (even if the i8 had them) doesn't mean "will withstand anything".

Any broken tire should be replaced *immediately*. At the load they have to bear and the rpms they spin at, they can easily disintegrate at the next sopportunity. Ever notice all the truck tire shrapnel on US highways? You don't want your tire to end up like that in full stride. The tires are the only contact between all the car's mass and energy, and the road. Keep them healthy!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 07:53 AM   #7
363ny
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddenfan View Post
I thought bmw cars had run flats??

I was driving home and on one street half the road was lower due to construction and when the car drove over it and back onto normal road there was a load bop sound then I started hearing the left front tire making a sound and the tire pressure monitor went off showing 0 psi on the front left tire.

I was next to a tire shop and the guy took a look, the tire had a hole. This shop didnt have a replacement tire like it so he plugged the hole to his best ability just so I can get home on it and put the car in the garage.

What should I do? Should I call concierge on Monday and have them tow the car to a local BMW service center and change the tire for me?

I use the car daily and hope this wont be a long process.

Sorry to hear about the flat, darn NYC roads. As people mentioned the i8 has regular tires. A bit more of a headache when you get a flat but a munch better ride than 20" run flats. There is a reason why the i8 and M cars don't come with run flats. You can either have a dealer replace the tire or an independent shop that you like will be able to do it as well.

Should be a quick fix.

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 10:02 AM   #8
Mikegg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8, RR SVR, Maserati Ghibli

I got a nail in the tire last week. I had to get a whole new tire mounted.

I was able to drive it to the dealer though, as it was only losing air very slowly. I went to AAA and they wouldn't drill into it, because it is a safety issue for these tires.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 11:41 AM   #9
hytek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, 335i

Mine has run-flats. I got a nail and had to replace one of them, but I drove an entire week while waiting for the order to come through.
The manual says you should stay below 50mph. So, I did have to avoid highways.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 03:10 PM   #10
buddenfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: i8

I called 8 tire shops no one has the tires. They were all surprised when I gave them the tire numbers.

Is my option to call sos and they them tow the car to a service center and change the tire there? Seems like my only option. Any feedback or help would be appreciated.

Cant believe this all happened due to road construction in the middle of a street.

Also whats the reason they chose to not use run flats? Runflats were life savers for me on all my bmw cars previously because I would pump the tire and have enough air to rravel to bmw/tireshops etc
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 02:51 AM   #11
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep

You can also check out Tirerack , they have a very large inventory . They don't use run flats is that run flat tires make more noise and provide a degraded comfort in terms of riding quality .Some G11/12 Owners and W222 Mercedes-Benz Owners , may be because of it's hype or not , seem to go thru trouble ending up replacing their tires to conventional ones .
However ,latest gen run flat tires provide an optimizing comfort .I drove G11 7 Series , it felt bumpy at first but as the road conditions improved so did the ride quality
      11-21-2016, 02:11 PM   #12
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Very early i8 cars had run flats - perhaps just the initial dealer cars. These tyres were not as good in terms of noise, comfort, handling and grip as the new tyres on customer cars.
Appreciate 0