BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

  BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-02-2021, 06:21 PM   #1
chassis
Captain
chassis's Avatar
United_States
876
Rep
985
Posts

Drives: BMW G01 X3, M-B GLE350W4
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Clinical research on multivitamins - physician input?

I searched the site and found a lot of discussion about vitamins but nothing referring to clinical studies on their effects.

Does anyone have a source for clinical studies showing the effects of daily multivitamin supplements? I searched NIH and found one study of over 5,000 physicians over age 65, where daily multivitamin supplements did not affect cognitive level, or change of that level over time.

Is there anything that people can point to with peer reviewed studies? Thanks. I know there are some health professionals on this site, I hope they chime in.

Last edited by chassis; 03-03-2021 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 12:24 PM   #2
JP10
Captain
JP10's Avatar
1157
Rep
956
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...-multivitamins

I share the same opinion as the above link in regards to the multivitamins.

May I ask the reason why you are looking for clinical studies pertaining to them?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 12:39 PM   #3
chassis
Captain
chassis's Avatar
United_States
876
Rep
985
Posts

Drives: BMW G01 X3, M-B GLE350W4
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...-multivitamins

I share the same opinion as the above link in regards to the multivitamins.

May I ask the reason why you are looking for clinical studies pertaining to them?
Good article, thanks JP10

The article itself is not a clinical study, but rather mentions studies and research done by others. It seems to refer to the 5000+ male [physicians] studied I noted in the original post.

I think I am generally of the view in the article, that multivitamins generally have no effect for nearly all people. I remain interested to see more clinical studies surrounding this.

Why am I looking for clinical studies? Because I prefer to use information sources as close to first principles as possible.

A quote in the article that speaks to me:

“The total price tag [for multivitamins] exceeds $12 billion per year—money that Johns Hopkins nutrition experts say might be better spent on nutrient-packed foods like fruit, vegetables, whole grains and low-fat dairy products.”
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 12:47 PM   #4
omasou
Colonel
omasou's Avatar
United_States
1208
Rep
2,196
Posts

Drives: BMWs
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: US

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ght=supplement
Appreciate 1
chassis875.50

      03-03-2021, 02:23 PM   #5
chassis
Captain
chassis's Avatar
United_States
876
Rep
985
Posts

Drives: BMW G01 X3, M-B GLE350W4
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Thanks omasou A thread with opinions makes for interesting reading. I didn't see reference to randomized clinical studies. Were such studies included in the link?

Here is another article noting noting that multivitamins do not reduce the risk of any chronic disease: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/MV...hProfessional/

I consider NIH and John Hopkins to be credible sources, I'm sure there are others. I also consider randomized controlled clinical trials to be credible source material.

Hopefully others who are more knowledgeable than I am, and preferably are health care providers, can point the direction for information on this. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 04:53 PM   #6
JP10
Captain
JP10's Avatar
1157
Rep
956
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Good article, thanks JP10

The article itself is not a clinical study, but rather mentions studies and research done by others. It seems to refer to the 5000+ male [physicians] studied I noted in the original post.

I think I am generally of the view in the article, that multivitamins generally have no effect for nearly all people. I remain interested to see more clinical studies surrounding this.

Why am I looking for clinical studies? Because I prefer to use information sources as close to first principles as possible.

A quote in the article that speaks to me:

“The total price tag [for multivitamins] exceeds $12 billion per year—money that Johns Hopkins nutrition experts say might be better spent on nutrient-packed foods like fruit, vegetables, whole grains and low-fat dairy products.”
Oh I wasn't questioning the use of clinical studies, I agree 100%, best source of info. Rather was wondering what information you were hoping to find - is the question in general whether or not multivitamins are beneficial?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 05:10 PM   #7
omasou
Colonel
omasou's Avatar
United_States
1208
Rep
2,196
Posts

Drives: BMWs
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: US

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Thanks omasou A thread with opinions makes for interesting reading. I didn't see reference to randomized clinical studies. Were such studies included in the link?

Here is another article noting noting that multivitamins do not reduce the risk of any chronic disease: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/MV...hProfessional/

I consider NIH and John Hopkins to be credible sources, I'm sure there are others. I also consider randomized controlled clinical trials to be credible source material.

Hopefully others who are more knowledgeable than I am, and preferably are health care providers, can point the direction for information on this. Thanks!
Did you click on the ArsTech link. There was an observational study which is probably as close as you'll get.

Clinical trials are designed to prove the benefit of a medicine for a NDA approval. Vitamin's don't require approval. So that leaves research. No manufacturer is going to fund an academic or other type of study to prove their vitamins are effective b/c there isn't any ROI.

So like the ArsTech article said. There is no proven benefit to taking manufactured vitamins, they may be linked to cancers, and eating a balanced diet should provide all the vitamins needed.

Last edited by omasou; 03-03-2021 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 05:21 PM   #8
chassis
Captain
chassis's Avatar
United_States
876
Rep
985
Posts

Drives: BMW G01 X3, M-B GLE350W4
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Did you click on the ArsTech link. There was an observational study which is probably as close as you'll get.

Clinical trials are designed to prove the benefit of a medicine for a NDA approval. Vitamin's don't require approval. So that leaves research. No manufacturer is going to fund an academic or other type of study to prove their vitamins are effective b/c there isn't any ROI.

So like the ArsTech article said. There is no proven benefit to taking manufactured vitamins, they may be linked to cancers, and eating a balanced diet should provide all the vitamins needed.
omasou Yes, that’s my view. I’m attempting to be open minded that I may be wrong. If there are clinical randomized controlled studies that argue against my view, I’m willing to listen. Thanks for pointing out the link, I will have a look.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52 PM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST