BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

01-30-2018, 03:37 AM   #1
Amr_d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport

Charge point access

Hi Guys, I am looking at purchasing a 2015-2016 i8 in the next few months. I am from the UK so my steering will be on the opposite side of my charging point. I wish to install the charger inside my garage on the front wall. Only issue is if I drive the car into the garage I will struggle to gain access to the car socket as it will be close to a wall.

Will I be able to plug the lead into the car before driving into the garage, then connect to the charger? Or will the car not drive with a lead connected?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 09:33 AM   #2
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amr_d View Post
Hi Guys, I am looking at purchasing a 2015-2016 i8 in the next few months. I am from the UK so my steering will be on the opposite side of my charging point. I wish to install the charger inside my garage on the front wall. Only issue is if I drive the car into the garage I will struggle to gain access to the car socket as it will be close to a wall.

Will I be able to plug the lead into the car before driving into the garage, then connect to the charger? Or will the car not drive with a lead connected?
You can't drive with the lead plugged in - computer says "no".

In my garage, I've got a couple of chargers (an EV and the i8), sometimes I park the i8 close to the wall with the charge port facing the wall (and I mean close - wing mirrors within an inch of the wall so I can park my X5 or Zoe in next to the i8). Even this close, I can lean over the front of the i8 and pop the charge cable in no problems. As long as you can get to the front of the car, you'll be fine as the port isn't too far back.
      01-30-2018, 06:19 PM   #3
Groundhog
Private
Rep
Drives: R-compounded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amr_d View Post

Might want to back in?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 03:29 AM   #4
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Might want to back in?
That would guarantee access to the front of the car!
      01-31-2018, 10:33 AM   #5
Amr_d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Might want to back in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGR View Post
That would guarantee access to the front of the car!

If i back it in I won’t be able to get out of the drivers side due to the garage wall.

I also checked last night, my current car F30 has around 8 inch clearance from the front wall. I think the i8 is a longer car.
Appreciate 0