BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

  BMW i Forums > BMW i8 Forums > BMW i8 General Discussion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-08-2018, 02:07 PM   #45
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
evanevery's Avatar
923
Rep
1,637
Posts

Drives: i8 Roadster, M4, Tesla MX
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

Fugly is fugly...

Thanks for the character summary though!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 02:13 PM   #46
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
evanevery's Avatar
923
Rep
1,637
Posts

Drives: i8 Roadster, M4, Tesla MX
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
That's beyond salvaging
That's OK, We have a guy here...

We'll put him in a fresh "nappy" and send him right over to sort things out. Be careful though, he bites, shits all over everybody, cries about everything, and is cranky all the time. I'm sure he'll give himself an "A" for performance when he's done with your Brexit thingy...

Just feed him cheeseburgers and keep the plastic-wrap on the mattress.

Last edited by evanevery; 12-08-2018 at 07:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
JasH522.50

      12-08-2018, 03:12 PM   #47
Maxxsirrah
Private First Class
Maxxsirrah's Avatar
63
Rep
195
Posts

Drives: BMW i8 Crystal White
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Leicestershire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Fugly is fugly...

Thanks for the character summary though!
But I quite like those wheels, very 70s retro concept cool...
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 04:17 PM   #48
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
evanevery's Avatar
923
Rep
1,637
Posts

Drives: i8 Roadster, M4, Tesla MX
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

To me, they just look like the cheap plastic hubcaps they used to snap onto 1970's Chrysler econo-boxes.

Retro isn't always good...

(I'm talking about the ones linked in Message #25, not the ones shown in message #29)

Hey, but what do I know, I used to drive a VW Thing! Anyway, to each their own...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 09:41 AM   #49
Msizzle
Lieutenant
159
Rep
402
Posts

Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

guys i know the I8 is awd drive but I'm from the just because you can doesnt mean you should camp. I gotta imagine that most that can afford an I8 can afford a winter beater, I just don't see the reason to try and force feed this car to battle snow. More accidents, more fender benders, ground clearance issues, and then obviously the salt and muck inside and outside the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #50
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
evanevery's Avatar
923
Rep
1,637
Posts

Drives: i8 Roadster, M4, Tesla MX
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msizzle View Post
guys i know the I8 is awd drive but I'm from the just because you can doesnt mean you should camp. I gotta imagine that most that can afford an I8 can afford a winter beater, I just don't see the reason to try and force feed this car to battle snow. More accidents, more fender benders, ground clearance issues, and then obviously the salt and muck inside and outside the car.
I completely agree with you. But the i8 is likely a very good performer in the snow with a proper set of winter tires. I think that was the original question.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 08:16 PM   #51
Msizzle
Lieutenant
159
Rep
402
Posts

Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
I completely agree with you. But the i8 is likely a very good performer in the snow with a proper set of winter tires. I think that was the original question.
Now that so many sports cars are awd with a set of snow tires you really can get around no problem. Plenty of 911's, R8's, and GTR's have done it. I just personally don't see the reason to put unnecessary wear and tare on cars that are more expensive to maintain than common cars and very expensive replacement parts.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 09:28 AM   #52
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
evanevery's Avatar
923
Rep
1,637
Posts

Drives: i8 Roadster, M4, Tesla MX
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msizzle View Post
Now that so many sports cars are awd with a set of snow tires you really can get around no problem. Plenty of 911's, R8's, and GTR's have done it. I just personally don't see the reason to put unnecessary wear and tare on cars that are more expensive to maintain than common cars and very expensive replacement parts.
Yeah, but that's NOT what the OP asked...
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 03:30 PM   #53
RDSChicago
New Member
5
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

DONT DRIVE IN ANY SNOW OR ICE WITHOUT SNOW TIRES! I did last January and even at 10 mph could not gain traction. Went out and purchased OEM wheels and snow tires the next week.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 04:33 PM   #54
Aye-eight
Major
Aye-eight's Avatar
Switzerland
499
Rep
1,178
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: My garage

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by relinquish View Post
I was hoping the AWD would handle better in light snow than a typical RWD? I know tires make all the difference but I was hoping AWD isn't just a placebo effect!

I was contemplating on an R8 as well but heard it didn't do as well compared to the i8. Anyone with any experience?
First off, I’m quite happy with the car in the winter. I’m just not expecting Land Rover-level traction.

Maybe I should have been a bit more clear about the reasons for my assessment. The AWD in the i8 comes in many different flavors and they are not always entirely predictable.

In full eDrive, obviously, you have the front wheels only. I find they get fairly easily overwhelmed with traction and cornering.

In “normal” drive mode, depending on how fast you’re going and how hard you press on the pedal, the engine in the rear may cut in or out unexpectedly, which is not great if you’re on the edge of traction and road holding. The engine will kick in if the front wheels are spinning. But the problem with that is, they must first have lost grip and then it still takes a moment. Not perfect for control.

If you activate “hold charge”, the engine stays on, but the electric motor goes dormant, except for quick high-power demands, like overtaking (I believe).

In Sports mode, both the engine and the e-motor are supposed to be on, of course. But the throttle response is sharper, which isn’t always what you want on a slippery surface. And I can’t quite tell how the front wheel drive behaves. There’s the “boost” of course, but it’s hard to tell how much you’re getting there and when.

Long story short, the AWD on the i8 is helpful, for sure. But it’s not the same thing as, say, quattro on an Audi or a proper offroad AWD. On snow, I find myself in Sports mode with the traction control off. That seems to be the most predictable setup in terms of telling the car what to do vs. the other way around.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 12:07 PM   #55
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
evanevery's Avatar
923
Rep
1,637
Posts

Drives: i8 Roadster, M4, Tesla MX
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

Nonsense. The i8 is quite a capable car in winter snow IF you have the proper tires. BMW even uses them for winter driving training.

https://www.bmw-i-pure-impulse.com/u...-experience-i/

Last edited by evanevery; 01-14-2019 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 03:19 PM   #56
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
196
Rep
579
Posts

Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Maryland, USA

iTrader: (0)

Ok so I finally put on winter tires and wheels and now have actual experience with the car in snow/ice and heavy rain. And it is very very stable. Yes there is no clearance, but with winter tires I can easily drive this in snow whenever the roads are not too high with snow. I went with -1 rims and same size tires front and back (just so it is easier to rotate etc). The funny part is the cheap black wheels I got actually look damn good on the car!

The wheels were 19X8 MSW TYPE 71 GLS BLACK. The tires were PIRELLI WINTER SOTTOZERO 3 XL. Highly recommend. Set of 4 $1,900 and $100 for BMW dealer to put on and register with the included TPMS.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 01:06 AM   #57
relinquish
N/A
11
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: N/A
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epirali View Post
Ok so I finally put on winter tires and wheels and now have actual experience with the car in snow/ice and heavy rain. And it is very very stable. Yes there is no clearance, but with winter tires I can easily drive this in snow whenever the roads are not too high with snow. I went with -1 rims and same size tires front and back (just so it is easier to rotate etc). The funny part is the cheap black wheels I got actually look damn good on the car!

The wheels were 19X8 MSW TYPE 71 GLS BLACK. The tires were PIRELLI WINTER SOTTOZERO 3 XL. Highly recommend. Set of 4 $1,900 and $100 for BMW dealer to put on and register with the included TPMS.
Glad to know it works with winters! I didn't realize how bad the clearance is - even a huracan is better, and it has that lift feature...

Pics?! Would like to see these wheels! I love the stealth look haha
What is your full set up? I know you said same size tires, but what width on your 19s?
Stock is 215/45/20 and 245/40/20
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 02:56 PM   #58
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
98
Rep
409
Posts

Drives: i8
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Four wheel drive or not, if you get a proper winter (i.e. snow or freezing temps), get winter rubber - no question.

I tried my i8 on a hill in snow last year and got nowhere on standard rubber - this was just an experiment on a quiet local road near my house. I had to add snow socks on the back wheels to the get the car back home.

My old X5 is my winter machine and I have a set of winters for that despite it being a "proper" 4x4. My other FWD cars have winter rubber fitted as well - it makes a huge difference.

Winter rubber gives you much enhanced braking and cornering as well as traction, well worth the relatively small spend.
__________________
2014 i8
2002 x5 4.6is
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 04:30 PM   #59
Maxxsirrah
Private First Class
Maxxsirrah's Avatar
63
Rep
195
Posts

Drives: BMW i8 Crystal White
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Leicestershire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGR View Post
Four wheel drive or not, if you get a proper winter (i.e. snow or freezing temps), get winter rubber - no question.

I tried my i8 on a hill in snow last year and got nowhere on standard rubber - this was just an experiment on a quiet local road near my house. I had to add snow socks on the back wheels to the get the car back home.

My old X5 is my winter machine and I have a set of winters for that despite it being a "proper" 4x4. My other FWD cars have winter rubber fitted as well - it makes a huge difference.

Winter rubber gives you much enhanced braking and cornering as well as traction, well worth the relatively small spend.
yup!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 01:58 PM   #60
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
196
Rep
579
Posts

Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Maryland, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by relinquish View Post
Pics?! Would like to see these wheels! I love the stealth look haha
What is your full set up? I know you said same size tires, but what width on your 19s?
Stock is 215/45/20 and 245/40/20
Original wheels are the black ones, they look very good on ecopper color scheme imho, I had originally speced the star wheels which are pretty but stick out with this color.

I am sure this is covered elsewhere but can’t find it is there any way on this forum to put up pictures without linking to external site?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 AM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST