BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

01-17-2019, 03:10 PM   #551
Delta0311
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I understand what they are trying to do, but no, I'm not a fan.
Ok so you can agree that sanctuary cities are a bad idea.
You can detect right away those that are going to be shaky, and that will fall behind and those that are very hungry, and that hunger you will have to develop. You gotta create a goal for yourself whatever that may be, a short term goal and a long term goal and you gotta go after that. And if you donít see it, and if you donít believe it, who else will?
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 03:21 PM   #552
cjb762
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is, MG 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
My ideal plan would be close up all those cold war bases in Europe that are no longer needed and relocate the troops to our boarder
This is literally the worst idea ever. If you do that, troops won't be able to get stationed anywhere cool. I also won't be able to fulfill my life-long dream of taking space available flights to Europe whenever I want now that I am retired...
Appreciate 1
Jockey1477.00

01-17-2019, 03:25 PM   #553
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3, 16 F150,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Ok so you can agree that sanctuary cities are a bad idea.
In theory and some practice yes, but I also think it is a bad idea for zero tolerance in regards to deportating people.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 03:27 PM   #554
cjb762
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The whole purpose of the wall is to slow illegal crossings down to a trickle. Control the bleeding then you can go after the other problems, like sanctuary cities. What is your stance on sanctuary cities?

"Another person getting distracted by illegal immigration when the goal is border security. 🤦🏻*♂️

The challenge of illegal immigration is a subset of border security. Border security encompasses a larger goal than just curbing illegal immigration."

-glennQNYC

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 03:36 PM   #555
Delta0311
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb762 View Post
"Another person getting distracted by illegal immigration when the goal is border security. ����*♂️

The challenge of illegal immigration is a subset of border security. Border security encompasses a larger goal than just curbing illegal immigration."

-glennQNYC

I don't know if you noticed but the conversation I had was related TO ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION via the Southern border.. I already covered drug smuggling, people smuggling, etc to death. So nice try.
You can detect right away those that are going to be shaky, and that will fall behind and those that are very hungry, and that hunger you will have to develop. You gotta create a goal for yourself whatever that may be, a short term goal and a long term goal and you gotta go after that. And if you donít see it, and if you donít believe it, who else will?
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 03:38 PM   #556
Delta0311
Major General
Rep

Quote:
In theory and some practice yes, but I also think it is a bad idea for zero tolerance in regards to deportating people.
So we enforce immigration laws or just do it selectively?
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 03:42 PM   #557
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So we enforce immigration laws or just do it selectively?
It's not an easy question, I'd say fix them, but that isn't going to happen so yes enforce them.

I still hate seeing families split up that have been here for a long time that are law abiding and working/contributing to their communities. I think it causes more problems in the long run when you do the zero tolerance thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 03:45 PM   #558
cjb762
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't know if you noticed but the conversation I had was related TO ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION via the Southern border.. I already covered drug smuggling, people smuggling, etc to death. So nice try.
Hey, I'm with you man... That's glenn's quote. Talk to glenn.
Appreciate 1
Delta03115740.00

01-17-2019, 03:52 PM   #559
Delta0311
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It's not an easy question, I'd say fix them, but that isn't going to happen so yes enforce them.

I still hate seeing families split up that have been here for a long time that are law abiding and working/contributing to their communities. I think it causes more problems in the long run when you do the zero tolerance thing.
I get what are you are saying BUT if we gives amnesty then it will send a message around the world that "hey come to the US after a few years the government will bend over and grant you a green card". We went with the amnesty option a few times before but it DOES not work with having immigration policies they way they are now and not having secured borders. Secure the borders, deport all illegals that are criminals, show zero tolerance to those who over stay their visas, ban sanctuary cities, put an end to anchor babies, and then we can begin to sort out the rest.
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Appreciate 2
Law4040.00
arkie6175.50

01-17-2019, 04:15 PM   #560
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I get what are you are saying BUT if we gives amnesty then it will send a message around the world that "hey come to the US after a few years the government will bend over and grant you a green card". We went with the amnesty option a few times before but it DOES not work with having immigration policies they way they are now and not having secured borders. Secure the borders, deport all illegals that are criminals, show zero tolerance to those who over stay their visas, ban sanctuary cities, put an end to anchor babies, and then we can begin to sort out the rest.
Yah, I get that, but I just can't get there in my heart or my head. Call me bleeding heart or whatever you want, but I think there is a practical side to it as well. I think there should be a mechanism to help people get citizenship that is mutually beneficial for the US and the family. Kicking out a hard working/law abiding person and splitting them up from their family doesn't do anybody any good. People that weren't costing the system money or creating any problems might now because we kicked out one of the breadwinners. Now they may need food stamps etc or turn to criminal activity to make ends meet.

Also, I can't get by that these are not just numbers, but actual people that we are separating. I can't imagine being seperated from my family and the pain that must cause. Not to mention the problems it causes.

Also, the US birth rate is falling and we are going to need these workers (a lot of studies show we already do).

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...o-a-record-low

I know all of this is falling on mostly deaf ears, but I see a mutually beneficial compromise for all involved. But, it'll never happen because our political system is to screwed up and polarized.

A very technologically advanced wall or whatever unless patrolled heavily by the CBP/military is not going to stem the flow of drugs or illegal immigrants if the place they are coming from is so bad that they are willing to try and make the journey. Also, as long as the demand for drugs remains what it is in the US the flow will not stop either.

That is about all of my thoughts on the matter, I'm out, call me whatever you want etc.
Appreciate 4
Law4040.00
D_M41.00
Jockey1477.00

01-17-2019, 04:27 PM   #561
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Yah, I get that, but I just can't get there in my heart or my head. Call me bleeding heart or whatever you want, but I think there is a practical side to it as well. I think there should be a mechanism to help people get citizenship that is mutually beneficial for the US and the family. Kicking out a hard working/law abiding person and splitting them up from their family doesn't do anybody any good. People that weren't costing the system money or creating any problems might now because we kicked out one of the breadwinners. Now they may need food stamps etc or turn to criminal activity to make ends meet.

Also, I can't get by that these are not just numbers, but actual people that we are separating. I can't imagine being seperated from my family and the pain that must cause. Not to mention the problems it causes.

Also, the US birth rate is falling and we are going to need these workers (a lot of studies show we already do).

I know all of this is falling on mostly deaf ears, but I see a mutually beneficial compromise for all involved. But, it'll never happen because our political system is to screwed up and polarized.

A very technologically advanced wall or whatever unless patrolled heavily by the CBP/military is not going to stem the flow of drugs or illegal immigrants if the place they are coming from is so bad that they are willing to try and make the journey. Also, as long as the demand for drugs remains what it is in the US the flow will not stop either.

That is about all of my thoughts on the matter, I'm out, call me whatever you want etc.
I 100% understand your heartache for those who are here and doing things right, but didn't come here the right way. There are just a few points to point out.

1) I hate it when people say 'break up families'. The government isn't doing that. It is deporting someone here illegally. If the parents decide to leave the child here instead of taking him/her with them back to where ever they originated from, then the parent is breaking up the family - not the US Government.

2) I am simply not okay with granting straight amnesty to anyone here illegally, because it effects my family directly - with my wife being an immigrant and currently on a green card. I just cannot get past the fact that she has waited all these years and spent all this money and then someone else just gets to jump in front of her who came in the back way.

3) Overall, I think the country would benefit from making most of those here illegally, legal - but it has to be done the right way, by securing the borders and other entry points first, followed by making sure those who came here legally and are in process for citizenship get top priority. I have mentioned this many times in my '4-part plan'.
xQx665.50
arkie6175.50

01-17-2019, 04:31 PM   #562
Delta0311
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Right of the bat dude I don't like a lot of your views.. I really don't have anything against you personally.. Obviously we were raised differently and probably in very different environments. I think you are soft on a lot of the issue but I guess we need people like you to put the ying into the yang. At the end of the day the only option is to find some common ground and build from it. I think we can at least all agree that the current immigration model is a failure.
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Appreciate 3
Law4040.00
Run Silent6341.00

01-17-2019, 05:39 PM   #563
adc100
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Forester XT

Pretty much every country south of the border is a "Shithole Country". One of the things that does help us is the panama canal.

Saw a pic yesterday of 250 migrants who crossed the boarder and were told where to go by the Coyotes who directed them in there. Many needed medical aid. Lovely. I guess a couple thousand cross illegally every day. And cn't send them back. Give them a bus ticket north. 40 years ago people wouldn't believe this shit.

Absorb enough of these people and you/we get closer to a shithole country. The days are gone when unskilled could come to the U.S.-work hard and help the U.S. grow...as die the Chinese and Irish that built the railroads and mined the coal etc.

Again it won't bother me bc I'm 72. Just hurts to see the Country going in the direction its going.
Appreciate 4
Delta03115740.00
SakhirM48163.50
MKSixer10121.50
arkie6175.50

01-17-2019, 06:15 PM   #564
glennQNYC
Benelli M4 Speed Loader
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
POTUS postpones Pelosi's trip via blocking use of military aircraft.

Letter to Leader Pelosi:

Due to the Shutdown, I am sorry to inform you that your trip to Brussels, Egypt, and Afghanistan has been postponed,We will reschedule this seven-day excursion when the Shutdown is over. In light of the 800,000 great American workers not receiving pay, I am sure you would agree that postponing this public relations event is totally appropriate. I also feel that, during this period, it would be better if you were in Washington negotiating with me and joining the Strong Border Security movement to end the Shutdown. Obviously, if you would like to make your journey by flying commercial, that would certainly be your prerogative.

I look forward to seeing you soon and even more forward to watching our open and dangerous Southern Border finally receive the attention, funding, and security it so desperately deserves!

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...letter-1108470

Last edited by glennQNYC; 01-17-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Appreciate 5
Delta03115740.00
SakhirM48163.50
MKSixer10121.50
cjb762420.50
arkie6175.50

01-17-2019, 06:31 PM   #565
Jockey
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SS M3

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
cjb762420.50

01-17-2019, 07:38 PM   #566
adc100
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Forester XT

Well Trump is president enough to deny Pelosi the use of a Military Plane..lol
Appreciate 1
Delta03115740.00

01-18-2019, 12:57 AM   #567
XutvJet
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235 6MT

Given all the recent developments regarding Trump in the past 24 hours, trying to get funding for a wall that a majority in this country don't want should be the least of his worries.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2019, 08:46 AM   #568
glennQNYC
Benelli M4 Speed Loader
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Given all the recent developments regarding Trump in the past 24 hours, trying to get funding for a wall that a majority in this country don't want should be the least of his worries.
The majority of his party wants effective border security. The numbers I've seen is 80% of Republicans support a barrier at the border, with 70% strongly supporting a barrier at the border.
arkie6175.50

01-18-2019, 10:01 AM   #569
Delta0311
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Dude has the Dems on lock so bad that they can't even go "wheels up" without his permission. And lets not even go into the joke of candidates they are putting against him for 2020.
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Appreciate 1
Run Silent6341.00

01-18-2019, 10:11 AM   #570
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
And lets not even go into the joke of candidates they are putting against him for 2020.
Apparently this is the actual photo of all the Democrats who are running for president in 2020. I'm unsure. I think they may have missed a few in the picture.

minn194518.00
dsad1591.50
glennQNYC3337.00
arkie6175.50

01-18-2019, 11:17 AM   #571
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Apparently this is the actual photo of all the Democrats who are running for president in 2020. I'm unsure. I think they may have missed a few in the picture.

Looks like more than were at Trump's inauguration.
Appreciate 5
dsad1591.50
wdb1185.50
cjb762420.50
3.0L1259.00
Jockey1477.00

01-18-2019, 11:56 AM   #572
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

The issue is it's the dems that will be trying to circumvent the wall once they have presidency again and easier to just shut off the security they would prefer.
Appreciate 0