BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

07-03-2018, 09:49 AM   #67
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
The US has a recent history of simply opposing pipelines on the grounds that it promotes the use of fossil fuels.
<sarcasm> Because we are SO worried about global warming, amirite? </sarcasm>
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 10:13 AM   #68
Real Dodger
Field Marshal of the Cosmos
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
The US has a recent history of simply opposing pipelines on the grounds that it promotes the use of fossil fuels.
The US? Or the progressive/green left. A very small percentage of the population. Totally off point.
      07-03-2018, 11:59 AM   #69
glennQNYC
Benelli M4 Speed Loader
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
Quote:
The US? Or the progressive/green left. A very small percentage of the population. Totally off point.
Dare I argue to support the position of the environmental loons... It is safe to say it's inaccurate to claim only a "very small percentage of the [US] population" is against at least the Keystone XL pipeline. The Obama Administration, DNC, and much of the establishment press was quite vocal about their opposition. While this position was likely mainly a concession to Democrat special interest groups and donors; I'm assuming their internal polling showed this was a favorable position electorally.

A quick web search turns up a February 2017 Pew poll showing 48% of Americans opposing Keystone XL.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...inst-keystone/
      07-03-2018, 12:19 PM   #70
Ivan Ivanov
First Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: X1, X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
thats the ideology that your current regime has brainwashed you guys into believing.

irremovability of power gives way to leaders that are corrupt and only perform in their best interest. there is no incentive to help the people more than the absolute minimum to stop an uprising.
Of course, you're right - rotation of power should be. However, keep in mind that the recent history of Russia, its "democratic" history (somewhere RealDodger has rustled) is very young, in fact - less than 20 years.
And people, in the majority, all this time lived during an epoch of changes. Now people do not really want change - they want stability. They do not want to risk choosing someone unknown.
Moreover, they have a living example of "democracy" now before their eyes - Ukraine and the civil war there. God forbid from such a democracy.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 12:26 PM   #71
TheWatchGuy
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Ivanov View Post
Of course, you're right - rotation of power should be. However, keep in mind that the recent history of Russia, its "democratic" history (somewhere RealDodger has rustled) is very young, in fact - less than 20 years.
And people, in the majority, all this time lived during an epoch of changes. Now people do not really want change - they want stability. They do not want to risk choosing someone unknown.
Moreover, they have a living example of "democracy" now before their eyes - Ukraine and the civil war there. God forbid from such a democracy.
yeah...um... or you could just look to dam near all civilized nations and see how democracy is working...

and i think you should stop referencing countries that you guys keep trying to invade and claim..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 12:36 PM   #72
Real Dodger
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Quote:
thats the ideology that your current regime has brainwashed you guys into believing.

irremovability of power gives way to leaders that are corrupt and only perform in their best interest. there is no incentive to help the people more than the absolute minimum to stop an uprising.
Caused by the soviets.....er.....Russia. They didn't like the new government.
They applied pressure in many, many ways. Including jacking up natural gas prices.

Hence, my opposition to your pipeline
      07-03-2018, 12:55 PM   #73
TheWatchGuy
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Caused by the soviets.....er.....Russia. They didn't like the new government.
They applied pressure in many, many ways. Including jacking up natural gas prices.

Hence, my opposition to your pipeline
But thats not what Putin told him so you must be wrong...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 05:45 AM   #74
Ivan Ivanov
First Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
I was already difficult to understand you, my friend. Natural gas prices dictated by the market and not someone else. In addition, low gas prices are not profitable for you because you can not get shale gas.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 06:35 AM   #75
glennQNYC
Benelli M4 Speed Loader
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Quote:

As a NY-Metro sales executive, I have many Russian business partners. About three months ago one extremely successful Russian CEO made this exact point to me. His contention was that Russians view stability as paramount over democracy.
      07-11-2018, 07:05 PM   #76
Real Dodger
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
This is a great article. I didn't realize the implications for Ukraine in this deal.

Why Trump slammed Germany for gas pipeline deal with Russia - Fox News
https://apple.news/Ae4deXUWuRD61VBFfCHy7QA
      07-11-2018, 08:58 PM   #77
Genieman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive

Quote:
As you know, Russia, together with Europe, is starting the construction of an offshore natural gas pipeline from Russian Federation to Germany - Nord Stream 2.
This is the second phase of gas pipeline, project which would include two additional lines to increase the overall annual capacity up to 110 billion cubic metres.

The US wants to block this construction and say they will impose sanctions on companies participating in the project, but German side says this will not affect the building of a gas pipeline.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-russia-sanctions-nordstream/u-s-sanctions-will-not-affect-nord-stream-2-germany-idUSKBN1JP1CX
It would seem - where is Europe and where is the US and what does the US have to the gas pipeline to Europe?
Do you think the United States has a grateful goal? They want to explain to stupid Europe that she does not need this gas pipeline, or they have some other purpose?
Here is my attempt to give you an actual answer to your question:

The only other person who gave you a remotely valid reason was sea-tac. Everyone else's explanation about Russia being a "bad guy" is purely subjective. The truth is everyone thinks they are the good guy and the other side is the bad guy. In reality, if you were objective, you would have to concede that we shouldn't meddle in other's affairs any more than they should meddle in ours.

This situation is different though and this is why: NATO. We are in NATO, and so is Germany, which literally, legally requires us to participate in their disputes. We have to back them up per the NATO agreement. So in this incident it's more than just us meddling in affairs that dont concern us. Kind of like when your little brother wants to talk sh1t to a massive guy at a bar and you want to stop him because you don't want to have to get into a fight over it while backing him up.
Appreciate 3
      07-12-2018, 12:34 AM   #78
Ivan Ivanov
First Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep

A beautiful explanation.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2018, 05:19 AM   #79
Ivan Ivanov
First Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep

Denmark brakes with the answer? Ok, then Denmark will remain on sidelines.

https://www.nord-stream2.com/media-i...n-denmark-104/
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 03:26 AM   #80
Ivan Ivanov
First Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep

democracy in action again!

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-e...-idUSKCN1NI1FY

Addressing an audience at the European Policy Centre think-tank in Brussels, Sondland added: Were hoping that the opposition to the project works organically, because the EU and its member countries agree that dependence on Russian energy is not a good long-term geopolitical decision.
If that philosophy is not adopted and Nord Stream continues, then the president has many, many other tools at his disposal Im not going to go through the litany to try and curb and stop the project.

translate - Europeans are a bit stupid and do not understand much - but we will explain to them )))
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 03:58 PM   #81
Ivan Ivanov
First Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep

We do not interfere in the affairs of other countries

https://www.handelsblatt.com/today/p.../23862580.html

The US ambassador wrote to German companies involved in the Nord Stream 2 project threatening sanctions. The foreign ministry advised companies not to respond.
Appreciate 0