BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

  BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-09-2018, 09:18 AM   #45
dsad1
Lieutenant Colonel
557
Rep
1,623
Posts

Drives: car
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Who is Israel to decide whether or not Iranian people could buy smartphones from Huawei or not and who is Israel to say whether or not Chinese people can sell Huawei smartphones to Iran Last but not least who is America to decide what other manufacturers in other countries can sell to others
I have no clue what my quote or any of this has to do with Israel. But if you want to know what my gut assumption is about stopping Huawei in general... I think it's being brought on by Apple/Samsung lobbyists. I highly doubt they are much more of a security risk than other manufacturers, but they are a risk to taking a big part of other manufacturers shares globally.

Last edited by dsad1; 12-09-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 11:44 AM   #46
stylinexpat
Major
stylinexpat's Avatar
260
Rep
1,294
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2008

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
I have no clue what my quote or any of this has to do with Israel. But if you want to know what my gut assumption is about stopping Huawei in general... I think it's being brought on my Apple/Samsung lobbyists. I highly doubt they are much more of a security risk than other manufacturers, but they are a risk to taking a big part of other manufacturers shares globally.
There are political reasons behind her arrest. Just imagine though were China to do what the US does by creating and passing a new law that any company or person that does business with Taiwan to be in violation Chinese sanctions. Imagine China applying sanctions on its own to bar and forbid US companies from doing business with Taiwan then arresting those involved for violations sanctions. They could claim that sales of high tech chips to Taiwan would be a violation of local Sanctions lists for national security.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 11:56 AM   #47
stylinexpat
Major
stylinexpat's Avatar
260
Rep
1,294
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2008

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyBuzzard View Post
Any idea what state sponsor corporate espionage is? There is much more to this than meets the public eye.
You may become objective when you put down the anti Semitic and anti US pipe. Hate affects logic. :
You say this like the US and and Israel have never committed State Sponsored espionage. If there is a particular item or product that is known to for Espionage by Huawei then I support making that product being known for that and being free to ban that particular product. Google my friend is also not any better and neither is Facebook. The Pixel smartphones and apps like Facebook are not much different. Your anti-is and anti-Semitic pipe line statement is BS. If I mentioned something that was false feel free to debate but donít pull that anti Semitic and anti US BS line..

If you read the links I posted it did not state that she was arrested for selling corporate espionage equipment or products to Iran which resulted in her arrest. I donít recall Iran requesting for Canada and the US to assist them by placing an international arrest warrrant for her arrest because she sold them equipment which were meant for corporate espionage against them
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 12:01 PM   #48
Real Dodger
Field Marshal of the Cosmos
Real Dodger's Avatar
United_States
5271
Rep
6,311
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: McKinney TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]


The U.S. alleges that Huawei used a Hong Kong shell company to sell equipment in Iran in violation of U.S. sanctions. It also says that Meng and Huawei misled American banks about its business dealings in Iran.

https://apnews.com/2ff443d73b044fe9a617f70d6a7ff925

It's not the export of anything to a Iran that's the problem here, the fact that is she lied to the US about it. Apparently she's been evading and avoiding the US for a number of years about this.
__________________
Renegade of Funk
Appreciate 1
glennQNYC3266.50

      12-09-2018, 12:38 PM   #49
dsad1
Lieutenant Colonel
557
Rep
1,623
Posts

Drives: car
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post


The U.S. alleges that Huawei used a Hong Kong shell company to sell equipment in Iran in violation of U.S. sanctions. It also says that Meng and Huawei misled American banks about its business dealings in Iran.

https://apnews.com/2ff443d73b044fe9a617f70d6a7ff925

It's not the export of anything to a Iran that's the problem here, the fact that is she lied to the US about it. Apparently she's been evading and avoiding the US for a number of years about this.

I do think this whole thing is a little convoluted, and I am confused by why the U.S is taking these steps.

We have told our stores and carriers to stop selling Hauwei products a while ago because of a supposed security risk, so we are already treating them as a foe.

If we think Hauewei is now also going against the sanctions, then why don't we full out ban them from selling in the U.S.? I understand legally we can arrest her for lying, but how does that hurt more than just banning them all together?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 04:41 PM   #50
glennQNYC
Benelli M4 Speed Loader
glennQNYC's Avatar
United_States
3267
Rep
3,932
Posts

Drives: M Sport 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post


The U.S. alleges that Huawei used a Hong Kong shell company to sell equipment in Iran in violation of U.S. sanctions. It also says that Meng and Huawei misled American banks about its business dealings in Iran.

https://apnews.com/2ff443d73b044fe9a617f70d6a7ff925

It's not the export of anything to a Iran that's the problem here, the fact that is she lied to the US about it. Apparently she's been evading and avoiding the US for a number of years about this.
Thoughts:

Seems pretty stupid to allow yourself to be on record traveling to a country with an extradition treaty with the US when you're wanted by the FBI.

I guess there is a FBI computer someplace looking to match wanted people's plane tickets with countries with extradition agreements?
__________________
Appreciate 3
      12-09-2018, 05:05 PM   #51
stylinexpat
Major
stylinexpat's Avatar
260
Rep
1,294
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2008

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Thoughts:

Seems pretty stupid to allow yourself to be on record traveling to a country with an extradition treaty with the US when you're wanted by the FBI.

I guess there is a FBI computer someplace looking to match wanted people's plane tickets with countries with extradition agreements?
To the best of my knowledge there was no international arrest warrant issued for her in advance where she was notified of. I believe they surprised her at the airport. Had she known in advance that there was an international arrest warrant pending for her I really doubt she would have boarded that flight to Canada.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 05:15 PM   #52
Grumpy Old Man
Captain
Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
Canada
2446
Rep
879
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Niagara on the Lake

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
To the best of my knowledge there was no international arrest warrant issued for her in advance where she was notified of. I believe they surprised her at the airport. Had she known in advance that there was an international arrest warrant pending for her I really doubt she would have boarded that flight to Canada.
It's not a general practice to let someone know that you've taken a warrant out for them especially if they are from another jurisdiction and you believe that they are likely to avoid coming to court and have the means to avoid prosecution.
Appreciate 1
glennQNYC3266.50

      12-09-2018, 05:20 PM   #53
glennQNYC
Benelli M4 Speed Loader
glennQNYC's Avatar
United_States
3267
Rep
3,932
Posts

Drives: M Sport 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
To the best of my knowledge there was no international arrest warrant issued for her in advance where she was notified of. I believe they surprised her at the airport. Had she known in advance that there was an international arrest warrant pending for her I really doubt she would have boarded that flight to Canada.
Read the article Real Dodger linked to above and you'll find the following:

Quote:
Canadian prosecutor John Gibb-Carsley said in a court hearing Friday that a warrant had been issued for Meng's arrest in New York on Aug. 22. He said Meng, arrested en route to Mexico from Hong Kong, was aware of the investigation and had been avoiding the United States for months, even though her teenage son goes to school in Boston.
That's why I said it sounds pretty stupid of her to allow herself to step foot in Canada.
__________________
Appreciate 2
      12-09-2018, 05:23 PM   #54
Grumpy Old Man
Captain
Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
Canada
2446
Rep
879
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Niagara on the Lake

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Read the article Real Dodger linked to above and you'll find the following:



That's why I said it sounds pretty stupid of her to allow herself to step foot in Canada.
Or arrogant, perhaps she thought the Chinese government would protect her against arrest in Canada. Reading the Canadian news and posts in the paper it seems a lot of Canadians sadly think she should be sent on her way with an apology. Kind of short sighted when you think how big our boarder is with the US and how porous it is, if not for extradition we'd have a lot more folks crossing to avoid prosecution.
Appreciate 2
glennQNYC3266.50

      12-09-2018, 11:14 PM   #55
stylinexpat
Major
stylinexpat's Avatar
260
Rep
1,294
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2008

iTrader: (0)

So if the UK and others do these things then it is ok..?

https://gizmodo.com/uk-intelligence-...ase-1830973272

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/02/w...srael.amp.html
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 11:18 PM   #56
stylinexpat
Major
stylinexpat's Avatar
260
Rep
1,294
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2008

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
Or arrogant, perhaps she thought the Chinese government would protect her against arrest in Canada. Reading the Canadian news and posts in the paper it seems a lot of Canadians sadly think she should be sent on her way with an apology. Kind of short sighted when you think how big our boarder is with the US and how porous it is, if not for extradition we'd have a lot more folks crossing to avoid prosecution.
She must have known of an investigation against the company taking place but I doubt she would have boarded that flight had she known there was an arrest warrant waiting for her upon arrival to be extradited to the US. I doubt she would have boarded had she known.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 11:55 PM   #57
stylinexpat
Major
stylinexpat's Avatar
260
Rep
1,294
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2008

iTrader: (0)

This is one of the reasons China is working on its own banking system with Europe,Russia and other countries so it will not have to worry about money going through US Banking system. About time they did this.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/china-...rrest-warrant/

Companies are barred from using the US financial system to funnel goods and services to sanctioned entities.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 12:16 PM   #58
Real Dodger
Field Marshal of the Cosmos
Real Dodger's Avatar
United_States
5271
Rep
6,311
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: McKinney TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
This is one of the reasons China is working on its own banking system with Europe,Russia and other countries so it will not have to worry about money going through US Banking system. About time they did this.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/china-...rrest-warrant/

Companies are barred from using the US financial system to funnel goods and services to sanctioned entities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
This is one of the reasons China is working on its own banking system with Europe,Russia and other countries so it will not have to worry about money going through US Banking system. About time they did this.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/china-...rrest-warrant/

Companies are barred from using the US financial system to funnel goods and services to sanctioned entities.
About time they did this? Because they were so much more righteous about the Palestinians than the US? Because they are such a law and order country? Don't forget, they derive their power over their citizens to the barrel of a gun. Not the power of the ballot box, like the US.
__________________
Renegade of Funk
Appreciate 1
Run Silent5976.00

      12-10-2018, 12:32 PM   #59
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
1682
Rep
4,775
Posts

Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

China slams Canada's 'inhumane' treatment of Huawei CFO

China lecturing Canada on human rights....surely you jest. The article even says that she was taken to hospital.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/...110550903.html
Appreciate 2
Run Silent5976.00

      12-10-2018, 01:00 PM   #60
stylinexpat
Major
stylinexpat's Avatar
260
Rep
1,294
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2008

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
About time they did this? Because they were so much more righteous about the Palestinians than the US? Because they are such a law and order country? Don't forget, they derive their power over their citizens to the barrel of a gun. Not the power of the ballot box, like the US.
I donít agree and support China with all their policies. Surely China just like other countries has issues that not everyone agrees with or upon. Many countries derive their power over their citizens but in different ways that is. About time because just like other countries they also need to have their own banking system that does not rely on others. Each country needs to have a free banking system to insure that they have freedom of trade and banking for their citizens and for their own national security. If you support Democracy and Freedom of Trade then you would support this policy. Some things are better in the US and some things are better in China. It really depends on what you wish to compare.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 01:02 PM   #61
stylinexpat
Major
stylinexpat's Avatar
260
Rep
1,294
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2008

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
China slams Canada's 'inhumane' treatment of Huawei CFO

China lecturing Canada on human rights....surely you jest. The article even says that she was taken to hospital.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/...110550903.html
China should not bring up human rights for this case as people will then laugh at them because they surely are not known for caring about human rights in China.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2018, 01:08 PM   #62
Real Dodger
Field Marshal of the Cosmos
Real Dodger's Avatar
United_States
5271
Rep
6,311
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: McKinney TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
A. I donít agree and support China with all their policies. Surely China just like other countries has issues that not everyone agrees with or upon. Many countries derive their power over their citizens but in different ways that is. About time because just like other countries they also need to have their own banking system that does not rely on others. Each country needs to have a free banking system to insure that they have freedom of trade and banking for their citizens and for their own national security. B. If you support Democracy and Freedom of Trade then you would support this policy. Some things are better in the US and some things are better in China. It really depends on what you wish to compare.

A. I don't support many, if any, chinese communist party policies. No freedom of religion. Their business market is not as free as you might think (Ask Lotte). NO freedom of thought or expression. Oppressive surveillance of its citizens. Taiwan is a much more legitimate government than the chinese communist party.

B. The opposite is true.

China: order and obedience.
US: Freedom and choice.

I'll take the US.
__________________
Renegade of Funk
Appreciate 1
Run Silent5976.00

      12-10-2018, 03:07 PM   #63
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
1682
Rep
4,775
Posts

Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Meng Wanzhou's Vancouver Home Broken Into.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/1...in_a_23614223/
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 07:50 PM   #64
stylinexpat
Major
stylinexpat's Avatar
260
Rep
1,294
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2008

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
A. I don't support many, if any, chinese communist party policies. No freedom of religion. Their business market is not as free as you might think (Ask Lotte). NO freedom of thought or expression. Oppressive surveillance of its citizens. Taiwan is a much more legitimate government than the chinese communist party.

B. The opposite is true.

China: order and obedience.
US: Freedom and choice.

I'll take the US.
I agree about the freedom of religion part in China. Xi being and Atheist and Communist at the same time is not so good. Taiwan if you ask me is one of the best when it comes to freedom. It is not perfect in Taiwan but quite good for business market and for freedom of religion. China is actually quite good for the business market (believe it or not). It is not as difficult there to run a business as it is in California.

In California you do have freedom and choice but it is not as free as many imagine it to be. Believe it or not you need less permits in communist China to run a business compared to California The same goes for Taiwan where running a business is by far easier when compared to California.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 09:38 AM   #65
BimmerBoomer
demoted
BimmerBoomer's Avatar
Canada
207
Rep
910
Posts

Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Sportback
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Grimsby, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

looks like the Chinese have retaliated against Canada...

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/canadian...says-1.1181557

Oh the tangled web we weave!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 10:33 AM   #66
Run Silent
Run Deep
Run Silent's Avatar
United_States
5976
Rep
1,937
Posts

Drives: Back and Forth To Work
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: The Mountains

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
I agree about the freedom of religion part in China.
You agree with a policy that says if you actively practice any religion then you can be arrested and imprisoned by the state, including being executed?

What the hell is wrong with you?
__________________
Вести себя? да, после дождя в четверг.
Appreciate 1
glennQNYC3266.50

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 AM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST