BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

12-20-2018, 03:03 PM   #89
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Actually, I did go to the page now. And I have a question:

Why under the Donate Now link does it give details of this Brian being in Miramar, FL BUT then, the cheques are supposed to be made out to him with an address in Castle Rock, CO? Which, upon looking it up, is a UPS mailbox site.

Am I just being overly skeptical?
Their winter home (a gift from the Gary Sinise Foundation and Veterans United last year) is in Miramar Beach. Their main residences are in CO and AZ. For the past few years, both he and his wife have been very active in social media fundraising, including her Maxim Mag Cover Entry.

None of this is reason to be skeptical though. $1B is not a significant amount for this proposal (that's basically one day's worth of border operating expense or 10mi of wall construction), no means of applying the funds exists, and it cannot be constructed without congressional and state approval, so a private venture is off limits.

12-20-2018, 03:04 PM   #90
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Over $6M raised now.
500 days to go till the goal is reached, at this rate.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 03:11 PM   #91
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Federal law, which was enacted in 2013, states that no merchant can generate a majority of their total revenue from credit card transaction fees that is not a credit card company or bank.

In addition, many states in which large companies reside (can be physical residence or incorporation) prevent any company from passing on or charging the customer any transaction fees imposed by the card issuer. As of now, credit card surcharges are illegal in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma, Maine and Texas.

For those states where it is allowed, another interesting point is that if a merchant adds surcharges for Visa and MasterCard transactions, they must apply it to American Express cards, too. This, however, puts merchants in violation with their agreements with Amex.
I understand what you are referring to. Typically called consumer pay whereby some or all of the merchant fees are passed on to the consumer. The CC companies view this model as anti competitive as the consumer is often forced to a cheaper payment option at the point of purchase. I built a business on this very model in Canada.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent6356.00

12-20-2018, 03:34 PM   #92
Law
Global Moderator
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
Did a little research on a few things this morning...

...You all may continue you’re debate, but this is all I have to say about it.

Very well thought-out and fact-based argument.

I would fathom to guess that this is where most people stand on this issue, where they recognize illegal immigration is a problem and a solution is needed. Since the answer is somewhere between completely open-borders and completely closing the US from immigration, that means the answer is controlled population flow.
So how can that be achieved?

Well, what the US really needs is a 21st Century Wall.
More specifically and ideally, this wall should be a network and security apparatus that is highly modernized, efficient, and tough to get around.
Technology and the efficiency of intelligence is key.
Of course, that apparatus should also include a series of fortifications, including walls, fences, etc., but not the type that some people imagine (i.e., not a great big concrete wall).

So while we do need a wall, but like mentioned many times before, a replica of the Great Wall of China in the United States isn't going to be cost effective in alleviating the problem.

A strengthening of border security and its security apparatus (i.e, technology & manpower), closing loopholes that make visa-fraud easy, strengthening (through legislation or incentives) cooperation/collaboration between local, state, and federal agencies to adopt a more uniform approach of enforcement.
And then, a sort of auditing sub-department/arm needs to be established to investigate corruption among US CBP Officers.
You'd be surprised at the prevalence of US CBP officers along the border crossings whose salaries are paid by people south of the border.

So we need a wall, but we need a smart wall, a wall that works today and tomorrow, not one that might've worked last century.
We need:
A wall that will prevent a pregnant mother who is a foreign national from obtaining a travel visa, when she intends to overstay her visa and use a loophole in US Citizenship laws to give birth to a child.
A wall that will prevent mules from bribing CBP Officers to smuggle humans (i.e., illegal immigrants) and contraband (i.e., drugs, weapons) into the US.
A wall that will see cooperation between local, state, and federal governments to enforce laws together, share intelligence, and to put an end to local governments welcoming further illegal immigrants.

Last of all, it is all too easy to overstay a visa in the United States and not get penalized for it.
In any other sovereign country, overstaying a visa is subject to deportation, fines, and/or other penalties.
In the case of the US, someone can just obtain a travel visa, student visa, etc., and overstay. Instead of penalties, local governments, such as California, shower them with benefits & privileges that should only be entitled to US Citizens (i.e., public education, subsidized insurance programs, driver's license, etc.)
I'm not saying deport those who are already here, but we really shouldn't be enabling/encouraging further illegal immigration through stuff like this (i.e., come here illegally and we'll take care of you attitude).

Close the stupid loopholes, strengthen the security apparatus, make sure CBP officers are clean.

That's better than any thousand-mile stone barrier.

| E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread |
Appreciate 5
Now_Rudi3554.50
Run Silent6356.00
lakefront126.00
Z K1283.50
DieselOG1164.50

12-20-2018, 03:49 PM   #93
Now_Rudi
I go by many names
Rep
Drives: Magic Carpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post

I would fathom to guess that this is where most people stand on this issue, where they recognize illegal immigration is a problem and a solution is needed. Since the answer is somewhere between completely open-borders and completely closing the US from immigration, that means the answer is controlled population flow.

More specifically and ideally, this wall should be a network and security apparatus that is highly modernized, efficient, and tough to get around.
Of course, that apparatus should also include a series of fortifications, including walls, fences, etc., but not the type that some people imagine (i.e., not a great big concrete wall).

So while we do need a wall, but like mentioned many times before, a replica of the Great Wall of China in the United States isn't going to be cost effective in alleviating the problem.

A strengthening of border security and its security apparatus (i.e, technology & manpower), closing loopholes that make visa-fraud easy, strengthening (through legislation or incentives) cooperation/collaboration between local, state, and federal agencies to adopt a more uniform approach of enforcement.
And then, a sort of auditing sub-department/arm needs to be established to investigate corruption among US CBP Officers.
You'd be surprised at the prevalence of US CBP officers along the border crossings whose salaries are paid by people south of the border.

So we need a wall, but we need a smart wall, a wall that works today and tomorrow, not one that might've worked last century.
We need:
A wall that will prevent a pregnant mother who is a foreign national from obtaining a travel visa, when she intends to overstay her visa and use a loophole in US Citizenship laws to give birth to a child.
A wall that will prevent mules from bribing CBP Officers to smuggle humans (i.e., illegal immigrants) and contraband (i.e., drugs, weapons) into the US.
A wall that will see cooperation between local, state, and federal governments to enforce laws together, share intelligence, and to put an end to local governments welcoming further illegal immigrants.

Last of all, it is all too easy to overstay a visa in the United States and not get penalized for it.
In any other sovereign country, overstaying a visa is subject to deportation, fines, and/or other penalties.
In the case of the US, someone can just obtain a travel visa, student visa, etc., and overstay. Instead of penalties, local governments, such as California, shower them with benefits & privileges that should only be entitled to US Citizens (i.e., public education, subsidized insurance programs, driver's license, etc.)
I'm not saying deport those who are already here, but we really shouldn't be enabling/encouraging further illegal immigration through stuff like this (i.e., come here illegally and we'll take care of you attitude).

Close the stupid loopholes, strengthen the security apparatus, make sure CBP officers are clean.

This. Law for prez!
Appreciate 2
Law4040.00
Run Silent6356.00

12-20-2018, 03:52 PM   #94
3.0L
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
500 days to go till the goal is reached, at this rate.
Just prior to this ^, I read $4,000,000.00 in 3 days. I believe it takes 1250 4-millions to equal $5-billion? That equates to 3750 days. If so, wouldn't it take 10+ years at the current donation rate?

Help me out. Did I get this wrong?

Want a Cookie?.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2018, 03:53 PM   #95
Law
Global Moderator
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
Quote:

We need:

This. Law for prez!
First BMW enthusiast President?
I'm in!
Get me a GoFundMe page started and let's get the ball rollin'

| E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread |
Appreciate 3
Now_Rudi3554.50
Run Silent6356.00
DieselOG1164.50

12-20-2018, 03:55 PM   #96
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Wait, I was watching The Curse of Oak Island and they are driving these 40' steel sheets into the ground, and when they go in they are somehow water barriers. If they can do it to investigate a treasure room that may or may not even exist, why can't we do the same to protect both above and below ground????
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 03:59 PM   #97
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
Just prior to this ^, I read $4,000,000.00 in 3 days. I believe it takes 1250 4-millions to equal $5-billion? That equates to 3750 days. If so, wouldn't it take 10+ years at the current donation rate?

Help me out. Did I get this wrong?
It's up to $6M raised in 3 days. The "goal" of the campaign is to raise just $1B, not $5B. So we are only 3 days in and it's too early to call this a success, but I'm confident in saying we are on track to raise $1B in 500 days to build 1/5th of a wall. Hot damn.
Appreciate 1
3.0L1259.00

12-20-2018, 04:01 PM   #98
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Wait, I was watching The Curse of Oak Island and they are driving these 40' steel sheets into the ground, and when they go in they are somehow water barriers. If they can do it to investigate a treasure room that may or may not even exist, why can't we do the same to protect both above and below ground????
Good grief, I thought I was the only dumb ass that watches that show. I've been meaning to post in the "Confess here" thread that 6 F'ing seasons of my miserable life have been dedicate to watching those dumbasses sink millions into the ground, only to find, well, nothing.

Now I just record it and literally fast forward through the entire show, only stopping to watch any actual digging, diving, or Gary Drayton lookign for "top pocket finds." The rest of the show is rubbish.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 04:05 PM   #99
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good grief, I thought I was the only dumb ass that watches that show. I've been meaning to post in the "Confess here" thread that 6 F'ing seasons of my miserable life have been dedicate to watching those dumbasses sink millions into the ground, only to find, well, nothing.

Now I just record it and literally fast forward through the entire show, only stopping to watch any actual digging, diving, or Gary Drayton lookign for "top pocket finds." The rest of the show is rubbish.
The wife has it on record, so I sometimes glance up from my book when she watches. I keep asking her "Are they ever going to just dig and find this vault???"

I was this day -1 when I finally figured out where in the world is Oak Island.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 04:08 PM   #100
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
First BMW enthusiast President?
I'm in!
Get me a GoFundMe page started and let's get the ball rollin'

Only if you promise mandatory nap time.

12-20-2018, 04:12 PM   #101
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Im digging a moat around my house and gun turret on roof
Appreciate 1
Now_Rudi3554.50

12-20-2018, 04:15 PM   #102
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetrickerman View Post
Yep, all trumpers are teh dumb....

Just like all anti-trumpers are teh dumb....

Does people building the wall personally affect you? You sound like a moron.
Lol...you weren’t impressed with his “imminent” domain argument?
Appreciate 1
3798j273.00

12-20-2018, 04:18 PM   #103
TomHudson
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
The wife has it on record, so I sometimes glance up from my book when she watches. I keep asking her "Are they ever going to just dig and find this vault???"

I was this day -1 when I finally figured out where in the world is Oak Island.
Oak island...fascinated me as a kid, being from Nova Scotia.

Short distance from Halifax, which was a huge British Naval powerhouse. Not much done at Oak Island without the Brits knowing.

The construction timbers are very similar to old Welsh mining techniques.
people visited the region over thousands of years.

Whatever was there, is long gone.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 04:21 PM   #104
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHudson View Post
Oak island...fascinated me as a kid, being from Nova Scotia.

Short distance from Halifax, which was a huge British Naval powerhouse. Not much done at Oak Island without the Brits knowing.

The construction timbers are very similar to old Welsh mining techniques.
people visited the region over thousands of years.

Whatever was there, is long gone.
Are you cursed?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 04:50 PM   #105
XutvJet
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetrickerman View Post
Yep, all trumpers are teh dumb....
I wouldn't say all, but I'd say a solid majority are lower IQ and/or the lower educated part of the scale with a dash of white nationalism, racist, and sexist thrown in.

Quote:
Does people building the wall personally affect you? You sound like a moron.
No. I just find it amusing that some people think simple solutions can be applied to very complex issues.

It would be great to see them donate that money to a good cause BUT that's just "hopes and prayers" as many that support the wall would see something like donating the money to help the less fortunate out as socialism.
      12-20-2018, 05:06 PM   #106
3.0L
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
It's up to $6M raised in 3 days. The "goal" of the campaign is to raise just $1B, not $5B. So we are only 3 days in and it's too early to call this a success, but I'm confident in saying we are on track to raise $1B in 500 days to build 1/5th of a wall. Hot damn.
A possible headwind after collecting the bread might end up like some charities: how much cash ends doing any good and how much ends up in the administrators pockets.

Want a Cookie?.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 05:11 PM   #107
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Exactly so keeping govt out of most any program is a better idea. The cost to others never gets looked at by a certain group.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 05:20 PM   #108
Z K
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, B8.5 A4

Look at it this way... a giant wall didn't stop the whitewalkers from coming through from the north... Winter is coming!
      12-20-2018, 05:22 PM   #109
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Look at it this way... a giant wall didn't stop the whitewalkers from coming through from the north... Winter is coming!
It kept them out for hundreds of years, didn’t it? I think so. Hell, we might not even be around hundreds of years from now.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 05:31 PM   #110
Z K
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, B8.5 A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herdalum View Post
It kept them out for hundreds of years, didnít it? I think so. Hell, we might not even be around hundreds of years from now.
Yeah.. in a couple hundred years, maybe Americans will be trying to go over the wall into Mexico when it is more prosperous than the US.