BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

12-20-2018, 09:40 AM   #23
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
I understand what you are saying, but in general wouldn't you want your opposition to have a weapon you built over a weapon you don't know everything about?

Pretty sure this is the same reason Israel sells weapons to Turkey and Saudi Arabia. At the very least they know everything about that plane, missile, etc...And they would rather go up against something they know from head to toe than not.
Actually it would be great if Turkey bought the s-4000. Maybe we could take a nice close look at it. I still think its overrated.

12-20-2018, 09:44 AM   #24
Delta0311
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
I understand what you are saying, but in general wouldn't you want your opposition to have a weapon you built over a weapon you don't know everything about?

Pretty sure this is the same reason Israel sells weapons to Turkey and Saudi Arabia. At the very least they know everything about that plane, missile, etc...And they would rather go up against something they know from head to toe than not.
Damn you pretty much nailed it.
You can detect right away those that are going to be shaky, and that will fall behind and those that are very hungry, and that hunger you will have to develop. You gotta create a goal for yourself whatever that may be, a short term goal and a long term goal and you gotta go after that. And if you donít see it, and if you donít believe it, who else will?
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 09:45 AM   #25
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M4 CS, 16 F150, 19 M550

Quote:

I actually think this has less to do about weapons and more about Russia/Putin sniping a key ally away from us in the region such as Turkey.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 09:49 AM   #26
dsad1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I actually think this has less to do about weapons and more about Russia/Putin sniping a key ally away from us in the region such as Turkey.
I think it has less to do with Russia and more to do with Iran. I think it is Iran that is trying to recruit Erdogan, but they are still far from succeeding.

What Erdogan says in public and what he actually does is usually very different.
Appreciate 2
minn195518.50
Run Silent11003.50

12-20-2018, 09:56 AM   #27
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think it has less to do with Russia and more to do with Iran. I think it is Iran that is trying to recruit Erdogan, but they are still far from succeeding.

What Erdogan says in public and what he actually does is usually very different.
I'm sure there are very complex political negotiations going on between many parties.

Speaking of complicated. Here is the whole S-400, Patriot, F-35 deal explained in a nice article. Apparently Erdogan wanted a technology transfer as part of the deal to buy the Patriot system, which the US told him no twice. He tried to bluff by buying a Chinese system and then backed out. Then announced the purchase of the S-400 system, which may or may not still be delivered. If it is apparently they are frozen out of F-35 sales. Unless Trump has acquiesced to their demands and pushes to allow the sale of the F-35 to them anyway. All sorts of crap going on.

https://www.defensenews.com/smr/spac...s-perspective/

But, that is a my main point. We are abandoning an ally that has helped us in innumerable ways over the better part of three decades in the region for supposed allies like Erdogan?

Last edited by minn19; 12-20-2018 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 2
Run Silent11003.50
dsad1661.50

12-20-2018, 10:00 AM   #28
Sassicaia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

Seems like the happiest person out of this whole thing is Putin.

The biggest question is why is Trumps own party so split on this? Why does the military not agree with Trump? Makes tons of sense that common people really have no idea about behind the scenes reasons, negations etc, but it makes no sense to have so many people "in the know" say WTF?
Appreciate 2
minn195518.50

12-20-2018, 10:01 AM   #29
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Big difference between having FOB's throughout the world and actively participating in the civil war of a country. I've been in Bahrain many times whilst in the military and understand the rational for it's location. How many times have you been there?

When it comes to intervening in internal disputes of other countries, my general policy is that the USA should for the most part, act like the big friendly guy in high school. If he sees two assholes fighting, he will generally leave them alone (Iran vs Iraq). He sees some innocent little kid getting picked on by a bully, then he comes to the rescue (think Bosnia). Of course, the USA doesn't typically adhere to my way of thought. In addition, it gets more complicated when there are third party actors out there. Syria is a good example. Bashar is a despot. The bulk of those who started the civil war were ISIL and other terrorist groups and arguably worse than Bashar. The problem is that millions of honest and decent civilians got caught in the crossfire.

It actually has less to do about knowledge and more to do about the ability to withdraw repair parts, maintenance crews, and ongoing training. Most weapons systems need an enormous amount of upkeep. Take that away, and they systems become useless. This is the key.

But yes, overall - your thinking is correct.
This is how I feel about the Kurds and they are getting fucked over royally after helping the US in every way possible for nearly three decades (possibly more). I think it is a huge mistake by Trump as he ramps up against Iran. The Kurds will be very useful in that fight for a number of reasons. They are not an asset from a practical matter that we want to lose even if people don't care about the humanity aspect of it.

The F-14 sale to Iran is a great example as to what you are talking about in regards to complex weapons systems. They became unflyable pretty quickly when they were cut off from spare parts. They kept some flying for awhile by cannibalizing other plans, but even that didn't last long.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent11003.50
dsad1661.50

12-20-2018, 10:04 AM   #30
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
Seems like the happiest person out of this whole thing is Putin.

The biggest question is why is Trumps own party so split on this? Why does the military not agree with Trump? Makes tons of sense that common people really have no idea about behind the scenes reasons, negations etc, but it makes no sense to have so many people "in the know" say WTF?
I wonder what the master negotiator got from Putin for leaving Syria alone now. Such as leaving our allies alone........somehow I doubt it.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 10:09 AM   #31
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
This is how I feel about the Kurds and they are getting fucked over royally after helping the US in every way possible for nearly three decades (possibly more). I think it is a huge mistake by Trump as he ramps up against Iran. The Kurds will be very useful in that fight for a number of reasons. They are not an asset from a practical matter that we want to lose even if people don't care about the humanity aspect of it.

The F-14 sale to Iran is a great example as to what you are talking about in regards to complex weapons systems. They became unflyable pretty quickly when they were cut off from spare parts. They kept some flying for awhile by cannibalizing other plans, but even that didn't last long.
We don't typically agree on many things, but I agree with you this. The only issue, is that the YPG is really stepping beyond where they should have on this by declaring the northern part of Syria their own country. I know that Turkey makes threats against the Kurds, but I don't believe they will initiate an all out assault once the few American troops that are there depart.

You are correct, though, in that it is likely a demoralizing issue for the Kurds, and one that they will probably not forget. One can also argue, however, that the main reason we had troops there (to combat ISIL) has been concluded. As such, there really isn't a reason for America to risk the lives of our citizens anymore.

Also - you are 100% correct about the F-14's and Iran. That was one of the instances I was referring to when responding to the other post.
dsad1661.50

12-20-2018, 10:33 AM   #32
dsad1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Regretfully for the Kurds, we and the Israelis are the only ones that side with them. So when we need them again they will have no choice but to work with us.

I never understood why Europe is in such an uproar about a country for the Palestinians, but never mentions the Kurds.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent11003.50
minn195518.50

12-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #33
Delta0311
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Regime changes in the Middle East always seem to work out so well.
You can detect right away those that are going to be shaky, and that will fall behind and those that are very hungry, and that hunger you will have to develop. You gotta create a goal for yourself whatever that may be, a short term goal and a long term goal and you gotta go after that. And if you donít see it, and if you donít believe it, who else will?
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Appreciate 2
Run Silent11003.50
F32Fleet1295.50

12-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #34
Jockey
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SS M3

I'm mixed about this. On one hand, not sure what more we can accomplish in Syria. If we've met our objectives, it's time to leave.

On the other hand, throwing the Kurds under the bus because of Turkey is sickening. One of the reasons we were able to defeat ISIS so completely was because of the Kurds. I even got to meet the Kurdish war council on Erbil in 2016. They are the some of the best allies we have in the region.

Now with that said, I don't agree with the way this went down. This seemed to be abrupt without any approval from the Pentagon which is leading me to believe this is short sighted and not based on any real assessment. Trump is not exactly a military mastermind and needs to listen to the people who are professionals at this.
Appreciate 2
minn195518.50

12-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #35
Now_Rudi
I go by many names
Rep
Drives: Magic Carpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
This whole thing reminds me of this.

I thought the exact same thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 12:16 PM   #36
dsad1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
I'm mixed about this. On one hand, not sure what more we can accomplish in Syria. If we've met our objectives, it's time to leave.

On the other hand, throwing the Kurds under the bus because of Turkey is sickening. One of the reasons we were able to defeat ISIS so completely was because of the Kurds. I even got to meet the Kurdish war council on Erbil in 2016. They are the some of the best allies we have in the region.

Now with that said, I don't agree with the way this went down. This seemed to be abrupt without any approval from the Pentagon which is leading me to believe this is short sighted and not based on any real assessment. Trump is not exactly a military mastermind and needs to listen to the people who are professionals at this.
He seems to be treating this as a business deal. He was probably told that this is the only way he can stop the Russia/Turkey deal. The withdrawal favors Turkey the most.

I don't know if this is the right move or not, we are for sure throwing the Kurds under the bus. But at the same time it does make sense for us to want to stop the Russia/Turkey Deal.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 12:18 PM   #37
Jockey
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SS M3

There are better ways to do it though instead of giving the Kurds up in Syria.

I flew CAS for the YPG and our SOF in Syria. We don't do this to our allies. This will make it even harder to get groups on our side when we need them.
Appreciate 2
minn195518.50
dsad1661.50

12-20-2018, 01:06 PM   #38
dsad1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I guess there is the hope of Trump saying this publicly to get the U.S. deal signed and then never actually following through.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 05:24 PM   #39
stbm5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 DG

the pull out is a gimme to russia.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 05:44 PM   #40
adc100
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Forester XT

Here's an idea. Get rid of most of the problem which we did. Then let them fight for their own country.

I have two Grandsons in the military. If they have to die fighting...let it be for defending the U.S. directly instead of propping up a shithole country where these peoples have been fighting each other for the dawn of time.

I assume none of you have no loved ones stationed in Syria..didn't think so.
Appreciate 2
F32Fleet1295.50
glennQNYC5130.50

12-20-2018, 05:52 PM   #41
XutvJet
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
I have two Grandsons in the military. If they have to die fighting...let it be for defending the U.S. directly instead of propping up a shithole country where these peoples have been fighting each other for the dawn of time.

I assume none of you have no loved ones stationed in Syria..didn't think so.
They signed up, thus they do and go where they're told. Part of the deal being the military, ya know?

Lastly, most military strategists would say you don't wait for the fight to come to you.
      12-20-2018, 06:54 PM   #42
Eriphill
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i

Busy day. First withdrawing from Syria and now Afghanistan draw down https://www.marketwatch.com/story/tr...tan-2018-12-20
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 07:52 PM   #43
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post

A analogy would be Latinos in California wanting to create Mexicali by merging California with Sonora (Mex.) and Baja California (Mex).

Of course the right to self-determination isn't necessarily a bad thing.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 07:55 PM   #44
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriphill View Post
Busy day. First withdrawing from Syria and now Afghanistan draw down https://www.marketwatch.com/story/tr...tan-2018-12-20
And SecDef has resigned.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0