BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

12-21-2018, 10:08 AM   #67
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

We need to keep an eye on those sneeky buggers
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 10:09 AM   #68
Real Dodger
Field Marshal of the Cosmos
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Quote:
What you do is stop making deals with bad regimes. You stop acting like the worlds police because the majority of the time you end up making the least worst decision.

A classic example was our fight against the spread of communism. The amount of blowback from this fight is tremendous and to this day we're still paying for it. Just about every "deal"/coup/war/military action we've been involved in since the end of WW2 was over the fear of communism.
How does this at all relate to our discussion about pulling out of Afghanistan? Or what we should've done there in the first place?
We shouldn't have started a proxy war with the Russians by arming the Mujahideen (aka Taliban) back in the 1980's, and we shouldn't have gotten involved in Iraq/Iran War, and we shouldn't have "saved" Kuwait and placed military bases in the Persian Gulf. We sure as hell shouldn't have conducted a coup in Iran and we shouldn't have closed the gold window because we wouldn't have had to make a deal with the Saudi's to price oil in USD.

Afghanistan 2.0 was simply the next domino of a long line to fall. You have to cut bait at some point.
I'll bet you voted libertarian. I've never agreed with libertarian foreign policy.

12-21-2018, 10:16 AM   #69
Jockey
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SS M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What you do is stop making deals with bad regimes. You stop acting like the worlds police because the majority of the time you end up making the least worst decision.

A classic example was our fight against the spread of communism. The amount of blowback from this fight is tremendous and to this day we're still paying for it. Just about every "deal"/coup/war/military action we've been involved in since the end of WW2 was over the fear of communism.
How does this at all relate to our discussion about pulling out of Afghanistan? Or what we should've done there in the first place?
We shouldn't have started a proxy war with the Russians by arming the Mujahideen (aka Taliban) back in the 1980's, and we shouldn't have gotten involved in Iraq/Iran War, and we shouldn't have "saved" Kuwait and placed military bases in the Persian Gulf. We sure as hell shouldn't have conducted a coup in Iran and we shouldn't have closed the gold window because we wouldn't have had to make a deal with the Saudi's to price oil in USD.

Afghanistan 2.0 was simply the next domino of a long line to fall. You have to cut bait at some point.
Our mistake in Afghanistan wasn't arming the mujahideen, it was the end game. We didn't want to spend the money to build up what little in Afghanistan was destroyed by the Soviets. That allowed the Taliban to take over.

The mujahideen was not the Taliban. The Taliban actually fought the Mujahideen for
control of Kabul and pushed the militias out. The majority of the militias that were part of the Mujahideen were against Taliban rule and the stronger ones were the ones we aligned with after we invaded in 2001.

The failure of the Soviet invasion in Afghanistan is pointed out as one of the key contributing factors to the fall of the Soviet Union and the end of the Cold War. So to call our intervention in Afghanistan in the 80s as a failure or misguided is in contrast to history.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent6255.00

12-21-2018, 10:17 AM   #70
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:

You can't just lump everything into one basket and pretend that the policies of Ross Perot, or Ron & Rand Paul are always going to be the right answer.

We knew the Mujahideen were not the best dudes, but we didn't have a choice in helping them. During those times, we simply couldn't let the USSR gain yet another satellite state. Especially one so close to the oil fields of the middle east and to our allies in India. In addition, the Mujahideen and the Taliban are not the same groups of people or the same tribes. Finally, aiding them allowed the USSR to get bogged down in that country, effectively collapsing their military due to funding.

I agree we should have stayed out of the Iran/Iraq war and should have avoided aiding in the Iranian coup. Those were dumb moves.

To say we shouldn't have come to the rescue of the Kuwait people when they were invaded by a despot as evil as Hussein is foolish and cold hearted. That would be akin to walking by a grandmother getting beaten to death by a thug teenager and just shrugging your shoulders and carrying on. That is simply not the right thing to do.

There is much more, especially behind the scenes, of our military intervention than you might believe.

Not sure what you do/did for a living, but I spent a large swath of my life working first in the military and later with the US Government in many of these theaters. There is much more to this than whatever you are being spoon fed by a few random websites and skeezy politicians.
minn194518.00
MKSixer10068.50

12-21-2018, 10:20 AM   #71
MGM135is
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is #399

Quote:
Yes. There's no winning. Empires die in Afghanistan. Didn't they teach that to you in school?

Hell, we supplied these same people with weapons when the Russians invaded back in the 1980's.

We can't afford it anyways.
If you think about it, the sudden turn about is probably so he can divert cash from Syria and Afghanistan to wall building at home. Resolves his $5B shortfall fairly quickly.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 10:22 AM   #72
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Quote:

I agree that yes those may have been mistakes, but again we are where we are now. So how would of responded right after 9/11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
And what will the fall out be? Wasnt it a mistake for obama to pull out early in his first term ? Led to another rise of terror and isis?
As they say you and I rarely agree, but I mostly agree with this.
Waited it out and attempt to apprehended Bin Laden rather than become a recruiting poster for Jihad Inc.

It would only be a matter of time and we have all the time in the world.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 10:24 AM   #73
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i MT e88

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
And what will the fall out be? Wasnt it a mistake for obama to pull out early in his first term ? Led to another rise of terror and isis?
You have been misled that Obama pulled out early. Bush made the plan and signed the Iraq legislation for withdrawing after Obama was President-elect. Bush and Cheney controlled it and if Obama stayed in the liabilities of the military would have been a disaster. Facts matter

https://georgewbush-whitehouse.archi...0081214-2.html
Appreciate 1
minn194518.00

12-21-2018, 10:26 AM   #74
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
Quote:
Yes. There's no winning. Empires die in Afghanistan. Didn't they teach that to you in school?

Hell, we supplied these same people with weapons when the Russians invaded back in the 1980's.

We can't afford it anyways.
If you think about it, the sudden turn about is probably so he can divert cash from Syria and Afghanistan to wall building at home. Resolves his $5B shortfall fairly quickly.
Good point, but there are legal reasons why that might not be possible because IIRC border security is under DHS not DoD. IIRC the Exec Branch can't unilaterally divert money across Department's. Congress has control over the purse.

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 10:29 AM   #75
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo View Post
You have been misled that Obama pulled out early. Bush made the plan and signed the Iraq legislation for withdrawing after Obama was President-elect. Bush and Cheney controlled it and if Obama stayed in the liabilities of the military would have been a disaster. Facts matter

Thats fine dont care who, seemed to be a mistake.
Appreciate 1
minn194518.00

12-21-2018, 10:30 AM   #76
Jockey
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Quote:

You can't just lump everything into one basket and pretend that the policies of Ross Perot, or Ron & Rand Paul are always going to be the right answer.

We knew the Mujahideen were not the best dudes, but we didn't have a choice in helping them. During those times, we simply couldn't let the USSR gain yet another satellite state. Especially one so close to the oil fields of the middle east and to our allies in India. In addition, the Mujahideen and the Taliban are not the same groups of people or the same tribes. Finally, aiding them allowed the USSR to get bogged down in that country, effectively collapsing their military due to funding.

I agree we should have stayed out of the Iran/Iraq war and should have avoided aiding in the Iranian coup. Those were dumb moves.

To say we shouldn't have come to the rescue of the Kuwait people when they were invaded by a despot as evil as Hussein is foolish and cold hearted. That would be akin to walking by a grandmother getting beaten to death by a thug teenager and just shrugging your shoulders and carrying on. That is simply not the right thing to do.

There is much more, especially behind the scenes, of our military intervention than you might believe.

Not sure what you do/did for a living, but I spent a large swath of my life working first in the military and later with the US Government in many of these theaters. There is much more to this than whatever you are being spoon fed by a few random websites and skeezy politicians.
Well said and my thoughts exactly.

I always thought our support of Saddam in the Iran/Iraq War was nothing more than being petty and trying to "payback" Iran for their revolution.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent6255.00

12-21-2018, 10:33 AM   #77
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Our mistake in Afghanistan wasn't arming the mujahideen, it was the end game. We didn't want to spend the money to build up what little in Afghanistan was destroyed by the Soviets. That allowed the Taliban to take over.

The mujahideen was not the Taliban. The Taliban actually fought the Mujahideen for
control of Kabul and pushed the militias out. The majority of the militias that were part of the Mujahideen were against Taliban rule and the stronger ones were the ones we aligned with after we invaded in 2001.

The failure of the Soviet invasion in Afghanistan is pointed out as one of the key contributing factors to the fall of the Soviet Union and the end of the Cold War. So to call our intervention in Afghanistan in the 80s as a failure or misguided is in contrast to history.
The Taliban and Mujahideen were cut from the same cloth. I didn't mean to imply they were the same. After all it was the Taliban who gave OBL refuge.

Russia was already breaking in the 1970's. Oil prices were papering over the cracks.

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 10:34 AM   #78
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3, 16 F150,

Quote:
Waited it out and attempt to apprehended Bin Laden rather than become a recruiting poster for Jihad Inc.

It would only be a matter of time and we have all the time in the world.
I agree with you that we shouldn't of gotten ourselves into the place where we needed to go into Afghanistan etc. But, I disagree with your wait them out game. But, we will never know how it would've gone had we not invaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo View Post

I place the blame on both administrations. If the Bush 2 administration thought it was so important to stay they should've got the forces agreement done before the next President came in. But, it might not of mattered because Obama campaigned on pulling out by a certain date, which I disagreed with.

I disagreed with the initial invasion of Gulf War 2. But as they say if you break you own it and we should've stayed until it was much more stable. This is my view on both Syria and Afghanistan. Except I thought we (US0 was right to go into Afghanistan out of all of these places to take out OBL and AQ.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 10:43 AM   #79
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Kuwait was accused of stealing oil from Iraq via slant drilling.
Kuwait was also accused of overproducing which depressed oil prices and made it difficult for Iraq to pay the billions($) owed to the US for material support in their war with Iran.

What a tangled mess. More blowback.

As for taking a noninterventionist view point. How can you say it won't work when we've never tried it?

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 10:44 AM   #80
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well said and my thoughts exactly.

I always thought our support of Saddam in the Iran/Iraq War was nothing more than being petty and trying to "payback" Iran for their revolution.
Payback for the payback for the payback....and round and around we go!

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #81
Jockey
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The Taliban and Mujahideen were cut from the same cloth. I didn't mean to imply they were the same. After all it was the Taliban who gave OBL refuge.

Russia was already breaking in the 1970's. Oil prices were papering over the cracks.
Yes, Taliban gave OBL refuge. If you want to lay blame somewhere, blame the Soviets. Again, our intervention in Afghanistan didn't create the Taliban.

Gulf War I gave OBL his platform to stand on for jihad against the West. But blaming the US for that because we came to aid of Saudi and Kuwait is also horribly shortsighted. We went in with clear objectives that we satisfied and when we met those, we stopped. We didn't go after regime change.

Now Gulf War II will go down as one of the worst foreign policy mistakes in modern times. But like what minn19 said, if we break the egg, we gotta clean up the mess.

Lastly, to keep inferring that US intervention overall is a bad thing, I will continue to point out type rise of China. There will be some other power that will step in and try to influence the region if we don't. I'd rather have troops overseas (myself included) then watch Russia or China become the dominant power.
Appreciate 2
minn194518.00

12-21-2018, 10:59 AM   #82
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3, 16 F150,

Quote:
Yes, Taliban gave OBL refuge. If you want to lay blame somewhere, blame the Soviets. Again, our intervention in Afghanistan didn't create the Taliban.

Gulf War I gave OBL his platform to stand on for jihad against the West. But blaming the US for that because we came to aid of Saudi and Kuwait is also horribly shortsighted. We went in with clear objectives that we satisfied and when we met those, we stopped. We didn't go after regime change.

Now Gulf War II will go down as one of the worst foreign policy mistakes in modern times. But like what minn19 said, if we break the egg, we gotta clean up the mess.

Lastly, to keep inferring that US intervention overall is a bad thing, I will continue to point out type rise of China. There will be some other power that will step in and try to influence the region if we don't. I'd rather have troops overseas (myself included) then watch Russia or China become the dominant power.
I still can't believe they didn't go after Iran instead. We had Saddam bottled up and if they wanted to attack somebody because of terrorism/WMDs (nuke program), Iran was the far better choice. Plus you wouldn't of had to rely on Pakistan and others so much to get supplies etc to the troops in Afghanistan.

I'm not saying that would've been the right thing to do either, but it made a whole lot more sense than going after Iraq for a second time. They wanted to go after somebody, they might as well of gone after somebody that would've possibly helped stabilize the region better by taking out their regime instead.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 11:05 AM   #83
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So let them. China is already getting a taste in Pakistan. They'll learn.

I wouldn't worry about the Russians. Last I heard they can't even sail a carrier without a tug escort.

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 11:13 AM   #84
Jockey
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Sounds like you're campaigning for the fall of the US as the lone superpower.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent6255.00

12-21-2018, 11:36 AM   #85
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Kuwait was also accused of overproducing which depressed oil prices and made it difficult for Iraq to pay the billions($) owed to the US for material support in their war with Iran.
"accused". Again, you are woefully missing so many other details here. Even assuming you are correct (which you arn't), what you are saying is that it would have been okay to let a mass murderer and rapist invade a soverign nation and murder thousands of women and children because said soverign nation was making oil cheap and it hindered the mass murderer's ability to give the USA money. That is a very poor argument.

Quote:
As for taking a noninterventionist view point. How can you say it won't work when we've never tried it?
How'd that work out for us in WW2?

Quote:
The Taliban and Mujahideen were cut from the same cloth.
Nope. Not even close. How many Afghani people have you had dinner with in Kabul and other locals? Because I have, and can assure you that your sources are incorrect.

Quote:
The USSR (Russia in 1970) was always struggling financially, but certainly wasn't breaking apart in the 1970's. Again, not sure where you get your sources, but they are very one sided and sometimes appear to be flat out wrong. You are cherry picking pieces of the puzzle that fit your agenda. This is not a sound way to come to logical conclusions on foreign policy or factual history.

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about the Russians. Last I heard they can't even sail a carrier without a tug escort.
Again, your sources are terrible. Kuznetsov class ships have always been perpetual problem children within the Russian Navy, so this isn't really news. Other than that, Russian doesn't really have any aircraft carries as they don't align with their strategic objectives and never have. Heck, over the last 50 years, they've only even ever built 4, 2 of which were eventually sold to China and India.

Currently in active service, The Navy of the Russian Federation has:

1 battlecruiser
3 cruisers
15 destroyers
10 frigates
81 corvettes
20 landing ship tanks
32 landing craft
15 special-purpose ships
1 patrol ships
42 patrol boats
46 mine countermeasures vessel
3 special-purpose submarines
64 submarines

Nothing to sneeze at.
minn194518.00
MKSixer10068.50

12-21-2018, 12:34 PM   #86
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
"accused". Again, you are woefully missing so many other details here. Even assuming you are correct (which you arn't), what you are saying is that it would have been okay to let a mass murderer and rapist invade a soverign nation and murder thousands of women and children because said soverign nation was making oil cheap and it hindered the mass murderer's ability to give the USA money. That is a very poor argument.

Quote:
How'd that work out for us in WW2?

Quote:
The Taliban and Mujahideen were cut from the same cloth.
Nope. Not even close. How many Afghani people have you had dinner with in Kabul and other locals? Because I have, and can assure you that your sources are incorrect.

Quote:
The USSR (Russia in 1970) was always struggling financially, but certainly wasn't breaking apart in the 1970's. Again, not sure where you get your sources, but they are very one sided and sometimes appear to be flat out wrong. You are cherry picking pieces of the puzzle that fit your agenda. This is not a sound way to come to logical conclusions on foreign policy or factual history.

Quote:
Again, your sources are terrible. Kuznetsov class ships have always been perpetual problem children within the Russian Navy, so this isn't really news. Other than that, Russian doesn't really have any aircraft carries as they don't align with their strategic objectives and never have. Heck, over the last 50 years, they've only even ever built 4, 2 of which were eventually sold to China and India.

Currently in active service, The Navy of the Russian Federation has:

1 battlecruiser
3 cruisers
15 destroyers
10 frigates
81 corvettes
20 landing ship tanks
32 landing craft
15 special-purpose ships
1 patrol ships
42 patrol boats
46 mine countermeasures vessel
3 special-purpose submarines
64 submarines

Nothing to sneeze at.
Perhaps, just perhaps, if we hadn't interfered in Iran in the 1950's, there may not have been a war with Iraq and possibly no disagreement with Kuwait which lead to an invasion.

As for the Taliban and Mujahideen, both had a belief in Jihad (although there are minor differences). That is their commonality.

As for USSR I never said they broke apart in the 1970s. I said they were beginning to and oil was covering up the cracks. As in as long as oil is high they can keep everything together. Think Venezuela today.

I don't know what you mean by WW2? The Treaty of Versailles bankrupted Germany and was the incubator which brought us Hitler.

What about Vietnam? Panama? Somalia? Iran-Contra?

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 12:34 PM   #87
MGM135is
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is #399

Quote:
Good point, but there are legal reasons why that might not be possible because IIRC border security is under DHS not DoD. IIRC the Exec Branch can't unilaterally divert money across Department's. Congress has control over the purse.
I'm assuming Trump brain logic is at work in this scenario.
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet1121.00

12-21-2018, 01:10 PM   #88
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Perhaps, just perhaps, if we hadn't interfered in Iran in the 1950's, there may not have been a war with Iraq and possibly no disagreement with Kuwait which lead to an invasion.

As for the Taliban and Mujahideen, both had a belief in Jihad (although there are minor differences). That is their commonality.

As for USSR I never said they broke apart in the 1970s. I said they were beginning to and oil was covering up the cracks. As in as long as oil is high they can keep everything together. Think Venezuela today.

I don't know what you mean by WW2? The Treaty of Versailles bankrupted Germany and was the incubator which brought us Hitler.

What about Vietnam? Panama? Somalia? Iran-Contra?
I'll take whataboutism for a thousand, Alex.

I believe I mentioned multiple times that some of our interference has been for the right reasons and some has not.

Panama = bad reasons
Vietnam = good reasons, but done the wrong way due to pussies in congress who wouldn't put both feet in the pool
Somalia = Right reasons, we should have been there. I was, were you?

I could spend all night writing about the reasons Iran-Contra was needed, mostly due to inept democrat congressional oversight that wouldn't do the right things, forcing the North's hand.