BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

01-08-2019, 10:14 PM   #23
Jockey
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SS M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyBuzzard View Post
I don't understand. I heard them say on TV that they wanted better border security, including a barrier. Does fact check deny that?

Regardless, Chuck and Nancy did not score any points tonight.

I'm not surprised you don't understand. Border security does not equal a wall. Once you understand that, we can move on.

Tonight was nothing more than pandering to each of the bases. Nothing changed.
Appreciate 1
mbanks21920.00

01-08-2019, 10:14 PM   #24
glennQNYC
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
The Democrat rebuttal sure feels like a net negative for them. They probably would have been better off without it.
      01-08-2019, 10:17 PM   #25
UglyBuzzard
Baba Booey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Use to be a X5 50i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Quote:
I don't understand. I heard them say on TV that they wanted better border security, including a barrier. Does fact check deny that?

Regardless, Chuck and Nancy did not score any points tonight.

I'm not surprised you don't understand. Border security does not equal a wall. Once you understand that, we can move on.

Tonight was nothing more than pandering to each of the bases. Nothing changed.
Keep believing I don't understand. you are not on your game tonight and getting played in multiple threads, sorry
Appreciate 1
SakhirM49421.00

01-08-2019, 10:21 PM   #26
Jockey
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Keep believing I don't understand. you are not on your game tonight and getting played in multiple threads, sorry
Try this. Even Republicans think the wall is a dumb idea. A Republican with plenty of skin the game.

Quote:
Rep. Will Hurd, a Texas Republican who represents more of the southern border than any other member of Congress, was one of a handful of Republicans to side with Democrats last week on the funding bill.

Hurd, who is the only black Republican in the 116th House of Representatives, won a second term in Congress during the midterms while campaigning against the wall, narrowly winning his re-election. Political strategists have said that Mr. Trump's last-minute, hardline rhetoric around what he called the "border crisis" nearly cost Hurd his seat in Congress.

Prior to the government shutdown, Hurd — a former undercover CIA agent — had introduced another idea: legislation for a "smart border wall," a technology-focused initiative that he claimed would cost less than $1 billion.
But keep believing this is all the Democrat's fault.

PS: I got called a liar in the other thread with nothing to back it up. You should really be careful who you associate with.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 10:30 PM   #27
UglyBuzzard
Baba Booey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Try this. Even Republicans think the wall is a dumb idea. A Republican with plenty of skin the game.

Quote:
Rep. Will Hurd, a Texas Republican who represents more of the southern border than any other member of Congress, was one of a handful of Republicans to side with Democrats last week on the funding bill.

Hurd, who is the only black Republican in the 116th House of Representatives, won a second term in Congress during the midterms while campaigning against the wall, narrowly winning his re-election. Political strategists have said that Mr. Trump's last-minute, hardline rhetoric around what he called the "border crisis" nearly cost Hurd his seat in Congress.

Prior to the government shutdown, Hurd — a former undercover CIA agent — had introduced another idea: legislation for a "smart border wall," a technology-focused initiative that he claimed would cost less than $1 billion.

PS: I got called a liar in the other thread with nothing to back it up. You should really be careful who you associate with.
Was the $1B offered up by Dems in the recent legislation.

All I saw was an argument over your typos. He must have been playing around. You both called each other liars though. You have to admit, your typos were comical and anomalous. You seem a little out of sorts tonight.
Appreciate 1

01-08-2019, 10:37 PM   #28
Jockey
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Was the $1B offered up by Dems in the recent legislation.

All I saw was an argument over your typos. He must have been playing around. You both called each other liars though. You have to admit, your typos were comical and anomalous. You seem a little out of sorts tonight.
Actually, it was one typo that I admitted to and he said I attempted to cover up.

So he accused me of lying. That makes him a liar. He attacked my integrity. That makes him a piece of shit. I don't have time for people like him.

While I don't agree with you, so far about anything in this forum , you haven't attacked my integrity so I'm perfectly ok with continuing to have an adult debate with you.

And to answer your $1 billion question, since it was passed via a bipartisan bill, Democrats by definition had to vote for it. I'll see if I can found the vote count.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 10:42 PM   #29
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i (coming)

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [4.38]
Quote:
So he accused me of lying. That makes him a liar. He attacked my integrity. That makes him a piece of shit. I don't have time for people like him.
Accusing someone of being a liar, even if wrong does not make them a liar. They could be wrong or mistaken.

That's one of the major problems today - everything is a lie, if not totally accurate. Wrong!
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
2015 ///M4, SO/full black, 6MT, HK, light 19"
Appreciate 2
glennQNYC5417.50
Now_Rudi6000.00

01-08-2019, 10:47 PM   #30
Jockey
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Quote:
Accusing someone of being a liar, even if wrong does not make them a liar. They could be wrong or mistaken.

That's one of the major problems today - everything is a lie, if not totally accurate. Wrong!
He said I edited my post to cover up my mistake, a typo. I did not. That makes him a liar.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 10:50 PM   #31
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [4.38]
Quote:
He said I edited my post to cover up my mistake. I did not. That makes him a liar.
That doesn't make him a liar. He could just be mistaken/wrong.
Appreciate 1
Now_Rudi6000.00

01-08-2019, 10:52 PM   #32
UglyBuzzard
Baba Booey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
He said I edited my post to cover up my mistake. I did not. That makes him a liar.
Wisdom, you share
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 10:52 PM   #33
Jockey
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Go read the thread and get back to me. I have him on ignore now so I can't read his posts.

He said I edited then re-edited my post after I got called out for it even after I admitted to my mistake.

He's a liar. It just goes to demonstrate the lack of integrity in this forum by certain posters. But hey, he's on your side so it's all good.

Actually it's all kinda perfect that it's a thread talking about hypocrisy.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 11:00 PM   #34
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [4.38]
Quote:
Go read the thread and get back to me. I have him on ignore now so I can't read his posts.

He said I edited then re-edited my post after I got called out for it even after I admitted to my mistake.

He's a liar. It just goes to demonstrate the lack of integrity in this forum by certain posters. But hey, he's on your side so it's all good.

You still don't understand the difference between being mistaken and being a liar. This is also NOT a thread about hypocrisy.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 11:03 PM   #35
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Does it really matter? Sorry I caused all this just thought it was funny doesnt need to be a talking point. The misspelling isnt really the issue the fact that you defined the two words incorrectly after was what made me laugh.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 11:08 PM   #36
Jockey
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You still don't understand the difference between being mistaken and being a liar. This is also NOT a thread about hypocrisy.
No, I perfectly understand the difference. You are missing the context. This all involved a thread with "hypocrisy" in the title.

He accused me of something I did not do. That's called being a liar.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 11:09 PM   #37
Jockey
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Does it really matter? Sorry I caused all this just thought it was funny doesnt need to be a talking point. The misspelling isnt really the issue the fact that you defined the two words incorrectly after was what made me laugh.
He attacked my integrity. That's something I'll defend to my last dying breath.

But I thought it was funny too, hence my response to you.

I do take issue with people trying to defend his actions though.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 11:10 PM   #38
Circuit Hunter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

San Diego resident checking in, no border concerns here. Those long lines waiting to get into the U.S. are filled with scary surfer dudes coming back from baja with 10 boards on top of their 95' Isuzu Trooper and hungry U.S. peeps who make a day trip to Puerto Nuevo for yummy lobster. Not to mention the thousands of Tijuana residents who cross the border daily to commute to their careers in the U.S., some of whom I work with.

Lets spend the dough beefing up the U.S. Coast Guard, current border entries, increase technology and resources to locate smuggling tunnels and repair the fence that already exists as needed.

The "Wall" is publicity stunt, nothing more. Amazing how many fall for this fear tactic...
      01-09-2019, 05:04 AM   #39
glennQNYC
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuit Hunter View Post
San Diego resident checking in, no border concerns here. Those long lines waiting to get into the U.S. are filled with scary surfer dudes coming back from baja with 10 boards on top of their 95' Isuzu Trooper and hungry U.S. peeps who make a day trip to Puerto Nuevo for yummy lobster. Not to mention the thousands of Tijuana residents who cross the border daily to commute to their careers in the U.S., some of whom I work with.

Lets spend the dough beefing up the U.S. Coast Guard, current border entries, increase technology and resources to locate smuggling tunnels and repair the fence that already exists as needed.

The "Wall" is publicity stunt, nothing more. Amazing how many fall for this fear tactic...
First, the American voters and the Border Patrol disagree with you. But hey it sounds like you have it all figured out. Perhaps you should run for office if you really think everyone agrees with you.
      01-09-2019, 05:26 AM   #40
glennQNYC
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Call the topic divided if you will, but to categorize this as a fabrication or delusion by POTUS is just not an accurate read on the feelings of American voters.

https://morningconsult.com/2019/01/0...at-the-border/

Plurality of Voters Think There's a Crisis at the Border

a new Morning Consult/Politico survey shows a lion's share of voters agree with him that the United States is facing a crisis over illegal immigration.

According to the poll, conducted Jan. 4-6 among 1,989 registered voters, a 42-percent plurality think there is an illegal immigration crisis at the U.S.-Mexico border,

Another 37 percent of voters said there's a problem but not a crisis, and 12 percent said there's neither a problem nor a crisis.

72 percent of Republicans said there's a crisis of illegal immigration, more than three times the share of Democrats (19 percent) who agreed. But Democrats are not writing off the issue entirely: More than half (52 percent) said there is a problem with illegal immigration across the U.S.-Mexico border.

Overall, voters were split when asked whether they support or oppose construction of a border wall along the southern U.S. border. Forty-seven percent — including 80 percent of Democrats — said they oppose building a wall, compared with 44 percent — including 83 percent of Republicans — who support it.

🗳
Attached Images

01-09-2019, 07:32 AM   #41
adc100
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Forester XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
The Democrat rebuttal sure feels like a net negative for them. They probably would have been better off without it.
I totally agree. I was concerned they might be effective. Nope. Yea is was a negative for them.
Appreciate 1
glennQNYC5417.50

01-09-2019, 07:45 AM   #42
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Same old fear mongering and misinformation we have grown to expect from Trump.

The Democrat rebuttal wasn't particularly strong although they did extend the olive branch to continue to negotiate but get the government back to business.

PS. Trump eyes looked like they were closed during the speech.
Appreciate 4
      01-09-2019, 08:14 AM   #43
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Yeah - it is hard to see where this was a win for the Democrats. I don't think that Trump swayed anyone over to his side that wasn't already in his corner, but I don't think the Democrats did either, and they were the ones that really needed to with this.

On a side note, I love how the Democrats commented that "the shutdown has furloughed 380,000 federal workers and forced an additional 420,000 to work without pay." Well, there are two salient points to that comment:

(1) The are not 'working without pay'. They will all be paid and are currently receiving interest free loans for paycheck advances by the federal credit unions. Lie.

(2) The fact that we currently have over a quarter million people who work for the federal government in a 'non-essential' role is a problem unto itself. How much is it costing taxpayers to have nearly a million people collecting paychecks that are forcibly paid by American workers who, by the governments' own admission, are non-essential?
Working without regular pay. Think of it as a federal government 0% saving plan.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 08:38 AM   #44
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
That doesn't make any sense.

Look - we all know that it is a pain in the ass for these workers to have to go and fill out the necessary paperwork to get paid through the credit unions rather than the typical direct deposit. There is some annoyance there and some additional stress in life.

It is important to note, however, that they are still currently receiving the same amount of pay they always do and on the same dates. In addition, the bulk of these folks (not all, but most) would be better served being employed in the private sector rather than receiving money from my paycheck for jobs that are probably redundant and not really needed at the federal government.
My first sentence is accurate. Second sentence was a poor attempt at a joke.
Appreciate 0