BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

01-13-2019, 08:02 PM   #1
NormanConquest
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i

Half of France Camera destroyed

https://www.foxnews.com/world/yellow...-speed-cameras

As much as I hate vandalism hopefully the EU gets the hint that the public at large don't like speed or red light cameras. This has been proven time and time again, and in my local state the installation of red light camera actually increase accidents which resulted in it abolishment for the time being.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 08:08 PM   #2
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Sure speedcams are a nuisance sometimes, but the 'reason' behind the 'yellow vests' destroying the cameras is bullshit, like the yellow vests themselves.
Theyre just a bunch of hooligans grabbing every oppertunity to plunder when they can hide in the masses. If it was up to me they would be all behind bars paying for all the damage. Only a fool sympatizes with these morons.

I dont have a problem with red light cameras though. I dont see any situation that would call for a safe situation to drive through a red light, in contrast to the speed limit.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs performance clutch
Appreciate 2
MrRoboto1731.50

01-13-2019, 08:14 PM   #3
NormanConquest
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Sure speedcams are a nuisance sometimes, but the 'reason' behind the 'yellow vests' destroying the cameras is bullshit, like the yellow vests themselves.
Theyre just a bunch of hooligans grabbing every oppertunity to plunder when they can hide in the masses. If it was up to me they would be all behind bars paying for all the damage. Only a fool sympatizes with these morons.

I dont have a problem with red light cameras though. I dont see any situation that would call for a safe situation to drive through a red light, in contrast to the speed limit.
Avoiding the car behind you suddenly hitting your rear because the light wasn't program correctly to purposely increase fines such as what happen in NJ.

Also legal right turns on red which many people got dinged with in NJ as well

Trying to move your car out of the way for emergency vehicals is another reason which also occured in NJ.

Shall I go on.

I agree to a certain extent that vandalism and lotting is terrible but the general public wouldn't be reacting like this if they felt represented and judging by Macron 20% approval rating apparently he not representing a super majority of his nation. Heck even the police force is starting to turn on the French government because they seem to be of the mindset of let them eat cake.
Appreciate 3
MKSixer14033.00
Zugzwang1048.00

01-13-2019, 08:23 PM   #4
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan Turbo

I hate traffic cameras since they are not really there to deter speeding. Time and time I read that municipalities shorten yellow light times to get more red light runners and reduce speed limits to ridiculously lower speeds to catch more speeders. They are about money, not safety.

I also think Iíd feel a little differently on speed cameras if they didnít impact your car insurance and was just a simple fine. I could speed all the time and just pay the money. No muss, no fuss.
Appreciate 4
MKSixer14033.00
xander_g685.00

01-13-2019, 08:25 PM   #5
NormanConquest
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
I hate traffic cameras since they are not really there to deter speeding. Time and time I read that municipalities shorten yellow light times to get more red light runners and reduce speed limits to ridiculously lower speeds to catch more speeders. They are about money, not safety.

I also think Iíd feel a little differently on speed cameras if they didnít impact your car insurance and was just a simple fine. I could speed all the time and just pay the money. No muss, no fuss.
My thoughts are the same if it was about safety the punishment will be suspension or jail not a fine.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer14033.00

01-13-2019, 08:29 PM   #6
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
My thoughts are the same if it was about safety the punishment will be suspension or jail not a fine.
I would like to know how many speeders actually caused or were in an accident. I speed all the time and the last accident I was back in 1994. And that was more due to following too closely, not due to speed.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer14033.00

01-13-2019, 08:41 PM   #7
NormanConquest
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I would like to know how many speeders actually caused or were in an accident. I speed all the time and the last accident I was back in 1994. And that was more due to following too closely, not due to speed.
Ditto, I treat the speed signs as a suggestion not a requirement and have been in a total of 0 accident in the 15 years I've driven.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer14033.00

01-13-2019, 08:49 PM   #8
Eriphill
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ditto, I treat the speed signs as a suggestion not a requirement and have been in a total of 0 accident in the 15 years I've driven.
I have never seen an accident or even a near miss due to speeding. Distracted driving on the other hand. The number of accidents or near misses I have personally witnessed due to idiots looking at their cell phones while driving I can't even count.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer14033.00

01-13-2019, 10:26 PM   #9
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Avoiding the car behind you suddenly hitting your rear because the light wasn't program correctly to purposely increase fines such as what happen in NJ.

Trying to move your car out of the way for emergency vehicals is another reason which also occured in NJ.

Shall I go on.
Wait what? the things you describe can only be the consequence of drivers that have no ability to think. Make sense that that happended in the USA though

As for sympathizing with the yellow vests, read the reason in your link and start thinking....why that reason makes no sense at all....
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs performance clutch
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 11:06 PM   #10
NormanConquest
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Wait what? the things you describe can only be the consequence of drivers that have no ability to think. Make sense that that happended in the USA though

As for sympathizing with the yellow vests, read the reason in your link and start thinking....why that reason makes no sense at all....
Being tax to obvilion and then the government finding more creative ways to bleed you further sounds like a good reason to revolt. The American sort of establish their own nation because of that
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 11:14 PM   #11
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

You apparantly didnt read.
They say its 'aimed at the middle and lower class'
I've never seen a speedcamera that flashed a middle or lower class person while speeding and not flashing a higher class person speeding....

And its not a tax. Its a fine. For breaking the law. Only people who arent man enough to pay up for what they do have a problem with that. Are you accountable for your actions or are you a yellow vest?
Are you sure the Americans established their nation on that?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 12:20 AM   #12
Eriphill
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I've never seen a speedcamera that flashed a middle or lower class person while speeding and not flashing a higher class person speeding....

And its not a tax. Its a fine. For breaking the law. Only people who arent man enough to pay up for what they do have a problem with that. Are you accountable for your actions or are you a yellow vest?
Man enough? I don't believe in living in a police state where cameras monitor people's every move and automatically fine you for every minor infraction. F that shit.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 03:16 AM   #13
NormanConquest
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Someone who is wealthy generally don't drive and if they did the fine would not bother them.

In America we believe in facing our accuser and a camera isn't an accuser nor has the ability to have judgement as too all the various other factors. In NJ the parkway speed is between 55 to 65 but the vast majority of the population are going 80 and a real life living person takes that into account which is why the cops aim at people going 90 or higher. The officer have the judgement to understand the speed limit setup is improper for the roadway and determine that trying to enforce it is not a good used of his time or the state resources which is why he pursue the individual that are not going with the flow of traffic and that he deems as actually being a safety risk.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 06:36 AM   #14
zx10guy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:

Let me first state I'm with you all about the hatred of photo enforcement. Washington DC is an example of how a government has now integrated the revenue generated by such enforcement as a regular part of their budget. Everyone knows with how DC is using photo enforcement, it's not about safety and all about revenue. When you compare how places such as nearby Montgomery County, MD is doing their photo enforcement, it's a night and day difference particularly with speed cameras. Montgomery county has a policy where tickets are only issued if you're 12 MPH over the posted speed limit. DC won't say at what speed you have to be over before a ticket is issued.

But I have to say, it's incorrect about these tickets affecting your insurance rates. Because the cameras cannot identify who the driver is at the time of the violation, the ticket goes to the registered owner and doesn't get reported to the registered owner's driving record. If you don't pay the fine, eventually, the local government can go after revoking your vehicle's registration. I also think neighboring jurisdictions have reciprocity where they can report unpaid tickets to your home state.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 07:55 AM   #15
NormanConquest
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Let me first state I'm with you all about the hatred of photo enforcement. Washington DC is an example of how a government has now integrated the revenue generated by such enforcement as a regular part of their budget. Everyone knows with how DC is using photo enforcement, it's not about safety and all about revenue. When you compare how places such as nearby Montgomery County, MD is doing their photo enforcement, it's a night and day difference particularly with speed cameras. Montgomery county has a policy where tickets are only issued if you're 12 MPH over the posted speed limit. DC won't say at what speed you have to be over before a ticket is issued.

But I have to say, it's incorrect about these tickets affecting your insurance rates. Because the cameras cannot identify who the driver is at the time of the violation, the ticket goes to the registered owner and doesn't get reported to the registered owner's driving record. If you don't pay the fine, eventually, the local government can go after revoking your vehicle's registration. I also think neighboring jurisdictions have reciprocity where they can report unpaid tickets to your home state.
It effects your insurance if you fight it and the court treats you as guilty until you prove yourself innocent. I spent six month fighting a red light camera which I had camera evidence and a witness clearly showing i cross the intersection when the light turn yellow and only won the case when I threaten the court in violating my right to a speedy trail.

Last edited by NormanConquest; 01-14-2019 at 08:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 10:58 AM   #16
zx10guy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It effects your insurance if you fight it and the court treats you as guilty until you prove yourself innocent. I spent six month fighting a red light camera which I had camera evidence and a witness clearly showing i cross the intersection when the light turn yellow and only won the case when I threaten the court in violating my right to a speedy trail.
No it doesn't. You are only fighting the fine when you go to court. Read up on it. It may be different where you are. But this is the case in Washington DC and Maryland. It does not get reported on your driver's record as the state can't prove definitively you were in fact the one driving the car at the time. This is why it's only a fine penalty with no points or such associated with it. And DC is counting on this because most people will not fight the ticket because it's not a regular moving violation which will affect your driving record.

I got busted by a speed camera in DC and it wasn't reported on my driving record and my insurance rates did not go up.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 11:00 AM   #17
zx10guy
Colonel
Rep

And if you don't believe me....straight from the District of Columbia's website:

https://mpdc.dc.gov/page/automated-s...nforcement-faq

"What are the penalties for speeding?
Fines for speeding range up to $250, depending on how many miles per hour over the posted speed limit the vehicle was traveling. No points are assessed for photo-enforced violations in the District."
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 11:07 AM   #18
zx10guy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Also not sure why you were cited if you crossed the intersection during a yellow. Red light cameras are set up to take two pictures. One is when the light turns red and you trip the sensor. The second is showing the light still red when you crossed the intersection. Part of the information that is collected is how fast you were going through the intersection during the violation and how long the light was red when you crossed.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 11:39 AM   #19
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And if you don't believe me....straight from the District of Columbia's website:

https://mpdc.dc.gov/page/automated-s...nforcement-faq

"What are the penalties for speeding?
Fines for speeding range up to $250, depending on how many miles per hour over the posted speed limit the vehicle was traveling. No points are assessed for photo-enforced violations in the District."
Maybe I don't understand the difference, but no points is related to driver's license, if you get a ticket, it's still on your driving record, is it not, and when insurance pulls your record, they can see it can't they? Maybe I've been wrong all this time lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 11:44 AM   #20
TheWatchGuy
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:

Shall I go on.

I agree to a certain extent that vandalism and lotting is terrible but the general public wouldn't be reacting like this if they felt represented and judging by Macron 20% approval rating apparently he not representing a super majority of his nation. Heck even the police force is starting to turn on the French government because they seem to be of the mindset of let them eat cake.
you know that in all these cases, you can get the fine thrown out right?

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 11:49 AM   #21
NormanConquest
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
you know that in all these cases, you can get the fine thrown out right?
You know in all these cases you have to take time off of work to fight an automatic system that lack human judgement.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 11:52 AM   #22
TheWatchGuy
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
No it doesn't. You are only fighting the fine when you go to court. Read up on it. It may be different where you are. But this is the case in Washington DC and Maryland. It does not get reported on your driver's record as the state can't prove definitively you were in fact the one driving the car at the time. This is why it's only a fine penalty with no points or such associated with it. And DC is counting on this because most people will not fight the ticket because it's not a regular moving violation which will affect your driving record.

I got busted by a speed camera in DC and it wasn't reported on my driving record and my insurance rates did not go up.
theres only a couple states where camera tickets go on your driving record. IIRC new jersey is not one of them.

What probably happened, was, instead of paying the ticket like a normal person, he was a dick in court and the judge decided to stick it to him. Based on this thread, im 99% sure this happened.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0