BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

01-15-2019, 09:46 AM   #23
Delta0311
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
I thought they did a reasonable job actually.

At least Gillette still retain the tagline "The best a man can get". I don't actually see the link to gender identity. ... I thought the message was more about not encouraging their children to beat on women, or accepting bullying/voilent behavior just because "boys will be boys".

Personally, I don't think that's a difficult message to get behind.

I'll raise you one...
Not sure what masculinity has to do with beating on women or being a bully but OK.
You can detect right away those that are going to be shaky, and that will fall behind and those that are very hungry, and that hunger you will have to develop. You gotta create a goal for yourself whatever that may be, a short term goal and a long term goal and you gotta go after that. And if you donít see it, and if you donít believe it, who else will?
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 09:48 AM   #24
MKSixer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Meh. It's just a numbers game. Gillette is there to do one thing and one thing only. Sell razors. They made a well calculated move with that add. Risk losing a handful of men who can't adapt to a changing society and stave off an attack that was sure to come. In the process they also likely make gains with or at least solidify their base of female purchasers who are either buying one of their "female" brands or, buying the "male" brand for their husband.

Like it or not, the ladies account for 50% of society and they are changing it. I've been saying this for 3 years now. This sh*t is changing whether we like it, are ready for it, or not. It's here.
I get what you're saying. The challenge I have is that what is called toxic masculinity has been replaced with toxic feminism and lethal SJWism.

I believe the ultimate fallout will be a bunch of girly-men, as we see today and that women complain about though they've had their hands on the tiller in steering the ship in this direction. My daughter, 21 years old, tells me that the boys are so weak now that it's ridiculous. She's tougher than them. It's an epidemic.

How have you been?

@[Nyet. Not Russian Hacker](contact:368080)
Ask me hacker question. Hacker question I get answer.
Appreciate 3
      01-15-2019, 09:51 AM   #25
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3, 16 F150,

The Chevy commercials are still the worst.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer9935.50

01-15-2019, 09:53 AM   #26
NickyC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMatt View Post
Don't you bring the 2X into this!!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 10:23 AM   #27
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Quote:
Meh. It's just a numbers game. Gillette is there to do one thing and one thing only. Sell razors. They made a well calculated move with that add. Risk losing a handful of men who can't adapt to a changing society and stave off an attack that was sure to come. In the process they also likely make gains with or at least solidify their base of female purchasers who are either buying one of their "female" brands or, buying the "male" brand for their husband.

Like it or not, the ladies account for 50% of society and they are changing it. I've been saying this for 3 years now. This sh*t is changing whether we like it, are ready for it, or not. It's here.
I get what you're saying. The challenge I have is that what is called toxic masculinity has been replaced with toxic feminism and lethal SJWism.

I believe the ultimate fallout will be a bunch of girly-men, as we see today and that women complain about though they've had their hands on the tiller in steering the ship in this direction. My daughter, 21 years old, tells me that the boys are so weak now that it's ridiculous. She's tougher than them. It's an epidemic.

How have you been?
Oh I completely agree. I don't like the direction things are going in as I have very much enjoyed the perks of being a dude in our society, but, sometimes you gotta just point your toes downstream and ride the current.

I do think it's good to shine a light on a lot of the BS women experience. Rape and serious harassment are rampant in our society. But I do see the risk of the pendulum swinging too far to where all men and guilty simply for being men.

Your daughter is spot on and I feel bad for her and her generation. I've heard the same thing from women under 30.

It's a crazy time we live in. The power dynamic is shifting.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer9935.50

01-15-2019, 10:26 AM   #28
N54Yankee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

I'm done with any Gillette products
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Appreciate 1
Torgus1567.50

01-15-2019, 10:28 AM   #29
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
I'm done with any Gillette products
Their marketing and accounting teams factored you into their ad campaign. They are ok losing you as a customer.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2019, 10:29 AM   #30
N54Yankee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Their marketing and accounting teams factored you into their ad campaign. They are ok losing you as a customer.
Fine by me
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 10:34 AM   #31
NickyC
Brigadier General
Rep

LoL, they've been deleting downvotes and negative comments on that YT channel constantly since this whole shitshow started. There were close to 200k downvotes on that YT video late last night, now it's only 30k downvotes (with 2.5k upvotes lol).

Courage of their convictions eh? Deleting downvotes, deleting negative comments, yeah they're really doing the good work.

Fuck Gillette.
Appreciate 1
Delta03115705.00

01-15-2019, 10:37 AM   #32
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Fine by me
I'm really curious about this. Do you actually use their products now and will you discontinue use solely because of this ad campaign? If they have a superior product at the right price, will you either spend more or settle for a lesser product because they ran a TV ad that challenges your view of appropriate masculinity?
Appreciate 2
Now_Rudi3477.50

01-15-2019, 10:40 AM   #33
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

This will be forgotten in a few days lol
Appreciate 3
      01-15-2019, 10:49 AM   #34
Now_Rudi
I go by many names
Rep
Drives: Magic Carpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
This will be forgotten in a few days lol
You are exactly right. Seems like some other large company that manufactures shoes had an ad campaign not too long ago that left quite a few customers stating that they would boycott their product....if I could only remember who it was....
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 10:52 AM   #35
Now_Rudi
I go by many names
Rep

Quote:
I'm really curious about this. Do you actually use their products now and will you discontinue use solely because of this ad campaign? If they have a superior product at the right price, will you either spend more or settle for a lesser product because they ran a TV ad that challenges your view of appropriate masculinity?
To go a step further will their customers completely boycott all Proctor and Gamble products or just Gillette razors and accouterments.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2019, 10:59 AM   #36
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Quote:
To go a step further will their customers completely boycott all Proctor and Gamble products or just Gillette razors and accouterments.
My crystal ball says no.

Sure some dudes will see that ad and say "but you should let little kids get into fist fights and damn it it's my right to make lewd comments about teenage girls in swimsuits at the pool" but the bulk of guys won't care and the bulk of women will take note and be pleased. Very smart campaign.
Appreciate 1
Now_Rudi3477.50

01-15-2019, 11:07 AM   #37
Jockey
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SS M3

I can't believe people, men, are getting all bent out of shape over this ad.

All it's saying is a be a better man. Your son is watching, be the example.

If you have a problem with that message, you really need some introspection on why that offends you.
Appreciate 8
obert779.00
Now_Rudi3477.50
dbyrd128.00
Z K1266.50
vtown47.00

01-15-2019, 11:31 AM   #38
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

It just shows we don’t have much else going on in our life’s lol

If it wasn’t for this thread I would have no idea about the commercial.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 11:35 AM   #39
Jockey
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SS M3

Seriously, I wasn't even aware of the commercial until this thread
Appreciate 2
Now_Rudi3477.50
yousefnjr1250.50

01-15-2019, 11:39 AM   #40
Now_Rudi
I go by many names
Rep

Quote:
My crystal ball says no.

Sure some dudes will see that ad and say "but you should let little kids get into fist fights and damn it it's my right to make lewd comments about teenage girls in swimsuits at the pool" but the bulk of guys won't care and the bulk of women will take note and be pleased. Very smart campaign.
Agreed. I've tried to parent my boys with the mentality of using logic, a cool mind and integrity. At the same time they have been taught to stand their ground and let no one walk all over them but to understand, acknowledge and embrace humility when applicable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
I can't believe people, men, are getting all bent out of shape over this ad.

All it's saying is a be a better man. Your son is watching, be the example.

If you have a problem with that message, you really need some introspection on why that offends you.
This.
Appreciate 2
Jockey1446.00

01-15-2019, 12:04 PM   #41
N54Yankee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I use their sensor razors, been using it for years. Don't know if they have a superior product or not but I'm confident I can find a comparable product and price.
What I'm tired of is, way too many businesses want to branch out from selling a product and trying to sell a particular point of view they feel obligated to hammer America with. Usually done with a particular political agenda in mind. This 'ad' even takes it a step further and doesn't even mention any of their products, just an opinion PSA on what they want all of the male sex to be.

Maybe some like a company's board of directors trying to dictate their personal agendas using near subliminal commercials but I don't. My family and I are very capable of getting through life all while doing the right thing without unsolicited prods from a toiletry company's indoctrination. They're entitled to put out what they want and I'm entitled not to buy it or their products.
Appreciate 3
Delta03115705.00
3798j273.00

01-15-2019, 12:16 PM   #42
other_evolved
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

People are offended by this??
      01-15-2019, 12:23 PM   #43
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I use their sensor razors, been using it for years. Don't know if they have a superior product or not but I'm confident I can find a comparable product and price.
What I'm tired of is, way too many businesses want to branch out from selling a product and trying to sell a particular point of view they feel obligated to hammer America with. Usually done with a particular political agenda in mind. This 'ad' even takes it a step further and doesn't even mention any of their products, just an opinion PSA on what they want all of the male sex to be.

Maybe some like a company's board of directors trying to dictate their personal agendas using near subliminal commercials but I don't. My family and I are very capable of getting through life all while doing the right thing without unsolicited prods from a toiletry company's indoctrination. They're entitled to put out what they want and I'm entitled not to buy it or their products.
Valid points and I respect your opinion on the matter. Thanks for chiming in!
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee265.00

01-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #44
NickyC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
You are exactly right. Seems like some other large company that manufactures shoes had an ad campaign not too long ago that left quite a few customers stating that they would boycott their product....if I could only remember who it was....
Not sure you can compare the two ad campaigns really. The Nike/Kapernick deal was all about standing up for what you think is right (no matter how delusional it might be), so in a round about way it had a good message. I even posted in that thread here on this forum that the Nike stock would rebound quickly which it did.

This Gillette nonsense is more like EA/DICE with BFV for instance, interjecting this politically correct mindless drivel where it's not needed. EA/DICE paid a heavy price for their actions in sales of the game/stock price, so it will be interesting to see what happens here with Gillette.

If anything, it's given me an excuse to stop overpaying for razors and try something new like Harry's.
Appreciate 1
Delta03115705.00