BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-04-2017, 08:33 AM   #1
mojobmw_e90
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S

Ups claims

Long story short, shipper shipped package, had insurance on it. Arrived to me in 5 days. Item is damaged, no signature was needed for delivery, I filed a claim 2.5hrs after receiving the item. Got them all the necessary pictures, including one where it shows how it was delivered to me. Shipper also has pictures of it being properly packed and not damaged since it's a brand new item. Anyone ever do a claim and if so, how long did it take ups to pay out?
      05-04-2017, 08:44 AM   #2
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

The way I understand it is the insurance covers the shipper as they're the ones that paid for and initiated the shipment. So I would work with the shipper on what concessions they can provide for you.

I had a situation with an item I bought online. But it was shipped USPS. I was waiting on the product to be delivered and actually saw the postman put it in my mailbox. I went out to get it and no product in the soft pack shipping envelop. Someone had cut open the side of the envelop and taped it back together. By the time I was able to discover this, the postman was already gone. I immediately called my local post office and explained the situation. Ended up going in to show them the package. They gave me a form to fill out. Because the shipper was the one who shipped it, the shipper would be the recipient of any claims pay out. I told the shipper what had happened and they wanted to see a copy of the claims form I filled out sent to them. When they received the form, they resent the item to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 10:13 AM   #3
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

They reimburse the seller. The seller gives you a refund.
      05-04-2017, 10:51 AM   #4
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

^ yes.

I shipped an OEM CSL boot to a guy on this forum. UPS damaged it. Was insured for $2500. Took them about a month to pay me out on the claim.
      05-04-2017, 12:02 PM   #5
fbsm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 4wheels

Yea, as stated the shipper has to file the claim unfortunately

One advantage of requiring sig is that you can refuse a damaged package....which provides you a marginally better case/argument if you have an uncooperative vendor
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      05-04-2017, 12:09 PM   #6
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

I don't know if there is a qualifying dollar amount, but mine was handled through UPS' insurance company. Didn't deal with UPS at all.
      05-04-2017, 12:26 PM   #7
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

Did you pay with a credit card? Call your credit card company as well

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 1
fbsm743.00
      05-04-2017, 12:34 PM   #8
mojobmw_e90
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz24 View Post
Did you pay with a credit card? Call your credit card company as well
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I payed via PayPal credit. Talked to shipper and he did get contacted by ups and is pending a approval. I called him before I called ups and he told me that I have to contact ups and they would issue him a check and then he would send it to me
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 04:43 AM   #9
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

nonsense, he just haven't dealt with this yet. i sold a set of spacers and shipped them via ups. their standard insurance was $100 (i'm pretty sure) so i didn't buy any additional. i think i sold the spacers for $115 shipped. paypal transaction. once the spacers didn't show up, i looked at the tracking number and they seemed to disappear at a particular location. i called ups and they advised me that i had to file the claim. i asked the seller if he wanted to wait and see if they showed up or a refund. he opted to wait another five days just in case. i ultimately gave him a paypal refund after the five days (spacers still lost) and ups basically confirmed they weren't delivered and were lost. took me about two weeks to get a check, but it was made out to me for the insured amount, plus the little box i had to buy (which i thought was nice of them).
so that is how it works.