Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

02-24-2020, 11:29 PM   #1
i8beemz
Rep
Drives: bmw i8

I8 coolant refill?

I had a low coolant warning come on so I watched a video on youtube on how to locate the coolant tank. I foolishly proceeded and added the coolant myself. I had no idea the system was under a vacuum. My engine overheated on the freeway but I made it back home alright.
What do I do now? How can I repressurize my high temperature cooling circuit?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 02:13 AM   #2
Swiss tone
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ionic silver I8

Not sure how adding some coolant would cause that? Never needed to add coolant.

Like one of Pat's youtube videos, a low coolant warning light could be the sensor under the vessel as long as the coolant is around the line.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 02:47 AM   #3
i8beemz
Rep

The low coolant warning went off after I added coolant so the sensor is good. Wasn't until I drove for 10 minutes that it overheated ): To add the coolant all I did was open the cap and pour to the line then close it. I don't know if I was supposed to use a special tool or what.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 07:07 AM   #4
Swiss tone
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I doubt it's anything that you have done? First i've heard of a special way to add coolant!
Maybe someone else on here can advise but sounds like a co-incidence to me, was it really low to start with to need topping up?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 10:42 AM   #5
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
If coolant is disappearing from your coolant tank then you have a leak somewhere or a blown head gasket from overheating the engine.
You need to check for continuity of the system to hold pressure. If pressure bleeds down then there is a leak and air is in the system causing overheating.
The leak must be fixed and the system vacuum bled.
Just adding coolant to the tank is not a problem.... but if you need to add more than a few ounces of distilled water for normal minuscule evaporation over a period of years then there is a problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 03:32 PM   #6
Strikerxt
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Coolant tanks have been under pressure for many years and the i8 is no different. Should only top up with a cold engine. Coolant cap is a known problem and needed changing on my i8 as it was evaporating coolant when hot and under pressure.
Was topping up my coolant once a month because of low coolant warning.
Been over 3 months since cap was changed and no warning as yet. Haven't checked the coolant but 90% sure my issue is gone.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 08:08 PM   #7
i8beemz
Rep

Looking like a leak as a result from the pressure tank sensor they changed a few months back. When I opened the coolant tank I did hear the sound of an air vacuum filling up as air rushed into the tank to equalize, not sure it that means anything. It's so odd to me that my engine decides to overheat after I add coolant and not when it was low on coolant.

So I will try cleaning up the tank cap and see if that does anything. I remember it was filthy with dry solids, that could possibly be the area of the leak.

I may have to just bring it in to the dealership. I'm wondering does bmw warranty cover this problem if I bring it in? Low coolant warning and engine overheating.

Does what I did by adding coolant void the warranty in any way?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 02:09 AM   #8
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by i8beemz View Post
Looking like a leak as a result from the pressure tank sensor they changed a few months back. When I opened the coolant tank I did hear the sound of an air vacuum filling up as air rushed into the tank to equalize, not sure it that means anything. It's so odd to me that my engine decides to overheat after I add coolant and not when it was low on coolant.

So I will try cleaning up the tank cap and see if that does anything. I remember it was filthy with dry solids, that could possibly be the area of the leak.

I may have to just bring it in to the dealership. I'm wondering does bmw warranty cover this problem if I bring it in? Low coolant warning and engine overheating.

Does what I did by adding coolant void the warranty in any way?
I am sure you though about this but could you have added bad quality coolant, fake coolant from the internet that is colored water for a lot of money, etc.? Water in the coolant would explain the overheating after the refill.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 05:32 AM   #9
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep

According to the service manual, there is no special procedure to add coolant to the expansion tank. Merely topping it off with coolant is what is recommended:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/i...nce/1VnYI7MiDv

It's very strange that the coolant system would be under vacuum when you released the cap on the expansion tank. Typically, a vacuum would be induced in order to bleed air off the system and then coolant added to replace air that was drawn out under vacuum. However, final adjustment to the coolant level would occur without any vacuum on the system because the expansion tank is a positive pressure device.

When you first reached out, I had assumed a leak somewhere, but after hearing that you had the sensor replacement done, it sounds like the technician did not perform the bleeding procedure properly and that there was an air pocket in the system. If there is air in the system this would draw fluid out of the expansion tank. There are auxiliary coolant pumps at several locations on this car and one of them may have been trying to fight an air pocket. When you relieved the vacuum of the system to top up the coolant, that air pocket probably wandered through the system and found it's high point in the water jacket of the top of the engine.

My assumption is that you did nothing wrong, based on the service manual link, above. I'd assume that the technician did not complete the bleeding procedure correctly or that all indications were that the system was fully bled down. A fully hot system, with the heater running, and cycling per the BMW diagnostic tool should have worked. However, I've read that others have had multiple visits to the dealer to bleed the system after receiving a high temp warning. They had major coolant system components replaced and that still didn't correct the issue. I don't know if the issue was ever resolved because the original poster never followed up on the thread:

https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/s....php?t=1494518
      02-27-2020, 04:19 PM   #10
i8beemz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leto1701 View Post
I am sure you though about this but could you have added bad quality coolant, fake coolant from the internet that is colored water for a lot of money, etc.? Water in the coolant would explain the overheating after the refill.
I purchased some BMW 82141467704 Coolant / Antifreeze on Amazon from BMA auto parts in Glendale. I'm pretty sure it is legit. Maybe I mixed it incorrectly but I don't think so, It was very close to 50/50. I just emptied a water bottle half way then added coolant to the second half. I did use filtered bottle water instead of the recommended distilled but read it should be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsgarageonline View Post
According to the service manual, there is no special procedure to add coolant to the expansion tank. Merely topping it off with coolant is what is recommended:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/i...nce/1VnYI7MiDv

It's very strange that the coolant system would be under vacuum when you released the cap on the expansion tank. Typically, a vacuum would be induced in order to bleed air off the system and then coolant added to replace air that was drawn out under vacuum. However, final adjustment to the coolant level would occur without any vacuum on the system because the expansion tank is a positive pressure device.

When you first reached out, I had assumed a leak somewhere, but after hearing that you had the sensor replacement done, it sounds like the technician did not perform the bleeding procedure properly and that there was an air pocket in the system. If there is air in the system this would draw fluid out of the expansion tank. There are auxiliary coolant pumps at several locations on this car and one of them may have been trying to fight an air pocket. When you relieved the vacuum of the system to top up the coolant, that air pocket probably wandered through the system and found it's high point in the water jacket of the top of the engine.

My assumption is that you did nothing wrong, based on the service manual link, above. I'd assume that the technician did not complete the bleeding procedure correctly or that all indications were that the system was fully bled down. A fully hot system, with the heater running, and cycling per the BMW diagnostic tool should have worked. However, I've read that others have had multiple visits to the dealer to bleed the system after receiving a high temp warning. They had major coolant system components replaced and that still didn't correct the issue. I don't know if the issue was ever resolved because the original poster never followed up on the thread:

https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/s....php?t=1494518
Thanks a bunch for helping me out with this and clearing up that there is no special procedure to add coolant. After looking through some of the manuals I got confused and thought that I needed a tool to add coolant under pressure but that was just for bleeding/draining the system. Wow looks like you hit the nail right on the head with your analysis. What you said makes perfect sense about the air now being trapped in the high point in the water jacket after relieving some pressure. I suppose I have no other option but to bring it into the dealer now and have them correct it. Probably should have done that as soon as I got the low coolant warning but DIY is so much more fun and I learned a lot. I see why everyone calls you the i8 king! Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 04:26 PM   #11
i8beemz
Rep

One thing that has me worried is that I opened up the hood. Does the dealer care if I went through there? I'm not fully sure what to tell them. I don't want them telling me they won't fix it since I opened up the hood and that it is my problem now.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 01:22 AM   #12
Swiss tone
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

No, opening up the hood will not make a scrap of difference! Don't even mention it. Good luck, sure you will get it sorted.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 04:20 PM   #13
i8beemz
Rep

BMW service advisor told me they are replacing the coolant reservoir, sensor, and hardware tubes. Should be getting it back today (: So glad it is still under warranty until November. Renewing the warranty cost $5,800 they said, very hesitant on paying that much but looks like I may have to
Appreciate 0