Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
So I've been more than impressed with my i8's performance and its efficiency. Despite my current mods (larger and wider wheels with wider and stickier tires and lowered suspension) I am still averaging over 40mpg in the car since taking ownership. I'm getting between 400-450 miles out of a full tank of gas. Mind-blowing considering the relatively small size of the gas tank. This has made me curious about tuning the car. I have seen/heard many claims regarding tuning the i8. I know Sales@Gintani.com is currently offering a tune alongside downpipes and a full exhaust system but I haven't been able to find any solid information on the actual benefits of these mods, nor can I find any dyno sheets. To be honest, the car doesn't necessarily need to be any faster to be enjoyed, that has become more than clear to me after approx 8 months of owning it, but I must admit I am most definitely curious as to wether or not there's more than can be squeezed out of the car and would not be opposed to tuning mine if doing so poses no serious threat to reliability and efficiency. I'm interested in hearing what you guys know about this topic and what your thoughts are. Please chime in, but please do not make this about trees, green agendas, or the amount of penguins that will starve if my i8's mpg drops by 1%...
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #2
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
I'll chime in.

I have been kicking this idea around myself. At the end of the day I believe that chassis tuning, improved brake pads, and better tires may be the order of the day.

With the engine stressed to it's current levels, I can't justify attempting to squeeze an extra 20 or so HP out of a 1.5L engine with an output of 228HP. It just doesn't seem wise. Due to the architecture and current limitations of the drivetrain, this will never be a 911 GT3 competitor so I see no point in trying to make it one. Just my .02.

Cheers-mk
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 03:14 PM   #3
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer
I'll chime in.

I have been kicking this idea around myself. At the end of the day I believe that chassis tuning, improved brake pads, and better tires may be the order of the day.

With the engine stressed to it's current levels, I can't justify attempting to squeeze an extra 20 or so HP out of a 1.5L engine with an output of 228HP. It just doesn't seem wise. Due to the architecture and current limitations of the drivetrain, this will never be a 911 GT3 competitor so I see no point in trying to make it one. Just my .02.

Cheers-mk
I think that despite its current high hp to liter ratio, the combustion engine may not be as high strung or close to its limits as we think. We need to also consider the fact that something may be done on the electric side of things as well. It certainly will never be a GT3 competitor for far more reasons than just raw power alone, but I'm still curious as to what might be achievable with this drivetrain if one could squeeze some more HP and torque from either the combustion or electric side or both.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 11:15 AM   #4
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre View Post
I think that despite its current high hp to liter ratio, the combustion engine may not be as high strung or close to its limits as we think. We need to also consider the fact that something may be done on the electric side of things as well. It certainly will never be a GT3 competitor for far more reasons than just raw power alone, but I'm still curious as to what might be achievable with this drivetrain if one could squeeze some more HP and torque from either the combustion or electric side or both.
I think that the best way would be the electric side of the equation. Currently, the 1.5L engine is putting out 152 bHP per liter. FI, yes but still pretty impressive. Taking it to 200 bHP per liter would be fantastic but probably kill reliability. I enjoy having a car that I can jump in and drive 500 miles without worrying. I'd take a higher output electric motor and lose some of the range for more power in a second in addition to another 50 lbs. worth of battery's.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 01:37 AM   #5
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
I think that the best way would be the electric side of the equation. Currently, the 1.5L engine is putting out 152 bHP per liter. FI, yes but still pretty impressive. Taking it to 200 bHP per liter would be fantastic but probably kill reliability. I enjoy having a car that I can jump in and drive 500 miles without worrying. I'd take a higher output electric motor and lose some of the range for more power in a second in addition to another 50 lbs. worth of battery's.
Tuning electric drivetrains is a pretty new topic. One has to think of spin limits for the motor (I understand the current i8 setup is already pretty much maxed out), overheating of cables and betteries from accelerated power drain, etc.

A replacement motor would have to be custom manufactured in order to fit.

And more power at the front would cause even more traction issues than we already have.

Doesn't sound like there would be many off-the-shelf options. But maybe there's someone on here who knows more about that stuff.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 03:25 PM   #6
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Tuning electric drivetrains is a pretty new topic. One has to think of spin limits for the motor (I understand the current i8 setup is already pretty much maxed out), overheating of cables and betteries from accelerated power drain, etc.

A replacement motor would have to be custom manufactured in order to fit.

And more power at the front would cause even more traction issues than we already have.

Doesn't sound like there would be many off-the-shelf options. But maybe there's someone on here who knows more about that stuff.
I'm surprised the Sales@Gintani.com people have yet to comment here. After all, they are advertising a tune and downpipes for i8s. They must not be very active on these forums. I've also heard word from my friend that the guy who tuned the ECU on his M5 running FBO+Meth with 750+whp says he can also tune the i8s ECU. He claims power gains are moderate because the tune he runs is conservative but that it makes a big difference since the car is so light and torquey.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 04:24 AM   #7
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm surprised the Sales@Gintani.com people have yet to comment here. After all, they are advertising a tune and downpipes for i8s.
There's nothing about the i8 on their website.

But there's an interesting - albeit somewhat shallow - article on the topic here: http://jalopnik.com/the-problem-with...ing-1590589246
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 08:24 AM   #8
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I'm surprised the Sales@Gintani.com people have yet to comment here. After all, they are advertising a tune and downpipes for i8s.
There's nothing about the i8 on their website.

But there's an interesting - albeit somewhat shallow - article on the topic here: http://jalopnik.com/the-problem-with...ing-1590589246
Yeah the DP and tuning has been advertised on their Social media a handful of times but it does not show up on their website. I did read that article before ordering the i8. Very interesting tidbit about the battery's lifespan and tuning.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 09:08 AM   #9
dnl2ba
Registered
Rep
Drives: i8

I noticed this tidbit a few months ago:

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2014-...n-first-drive/

Quote:
A small electric motor is mounted to the ancillary side of the engine. It’s used as a starter motor, generator to charge the batteries and to supplement engine power when the turbo isn’t producing boost. At the front, a 129 hp electric motor is mated to a 2-speed transmission. The lower gear is only used in full electric mode, while the taller gear is used during mixed power operation. An engineer happened to mention the electric motor has a 40 hp reserve that could be used later. The current output of the electric motor was chosen to optimize the grip available at the front tires.
So, you might be able to get more electric motor power, but you're going to need a lot more front grip.
Appreciate 2
      03-22-2016, 02:45 PM   #10
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnl2ba View Post

So, you might be able to get more electric motor power, but you're going to need a lot more front grip.
That's interesting. Especially since there's already been a whole bunch of discussions on alternative rims and wider tires. 40 hp would be more than 10% extra and take the a car into 400 hp territory.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 08:26 AM   #11
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnl2ba View Post

That's interesting. Especially since there's already been a whole bunch of discussions on alternative rims and wider tires. 40 hp would be more than 10% extra and take the a car into 400 hp territory.
I'm already on wider tires and light weight forged wheels, perhaps extra grip wouldn't be a problem.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0