BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

05-09-2015, 12:12 AM   #1
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

Are Nitrogen Filled Tires Worth It?

Did everyone get nitrogen filled tires versus air filled ones with their i8s or with any of their recently delivered bimmers? Furthermore, do the benefits of nitrogen gas really outweigh the merits of air when it comes to tire performance or is it just hype? I also recognize nitrogen gas pumps are not as readily accesable as conventional air pumps.

I'm contemplating bleeding out the nitrogen from my tires and replacing it with air since I already have an air compressor. Would appreciate everyone's thoughts and actual experience on this matter before coming to a final decision.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 07:48 AM   #2
mu2002cs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8

An interesting question. First let's start with the basics. The air we breathe is 78% nitrogen. So what does this "extra" nitrogen do? Primarily, it eliminates the moisture content inside the tire. This is important if you plan on keeping the tires on the car for a long time, ie, the life of the tire. Now, if you are going to wear out the tires in 18-24months, the extra nitrogen is not all that helpful. Basically, it's better for the tire, but I wouldn't pay extra for a nitrogen fill.

As an aside - based on my driving habits, I suspect the original tires will last about 11-15k miles
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2015, 07:50 AM   #3
Nex
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

FWIW, I think one of the first cars to start this nitrogen trend was the GTR. At that time, Nissan said that nitrogen would resist tire pressure fluctuations better than just air under heavy track use. Also, because of the larger molecules of nitrogen, tire pressure would stay more consistent over longer periods of time because it would not leak out of the tire as easily. That's all theoretical to me.
However, after storing my GTR over winter months, I do notice that I never have to top up tire pressure in the spring. If that's due to nitrogen or due to tire construction and seating of the tire to the rim, I have no idea.
IMO, if you have easy access to nitrogen, then go for it. But I wouldn't go out of my way to pump nitrogen in. Regular air is good enough for me. Also, you don't need to bleed out the nitrogen before putting back regular air.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #4
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep

Thanks guy. Really appreciate the info. relating to your: knowledge, personal experience and the practical aspects pertaining to tire performance utilizing nitrogen gas. Glad to know Nex that I can still use my air compressor on the nitrogen filled tires whenever I'm in a pinch. Interesting point you raised, mu2002cs, about the overall life of the tires. Once the tread life on my stock i8 indicate the need for replacement, I'm wondering whether the Mich.PSS (Michelin Pilot SS), can fitted to the stock turbine wheels? Moreover, providing that they do, to what extent they may impact the intended performance of the i8 juxtapose to the Bridgestone tires specially designed for the i8. In the past, I found Bridgestone tires to be generous on the tread, however stiffer and less performance than the Mich.PSS. (had them as a replacement tire on a MB CL63, Porsche 911T, Lambo G, Ferrari F430 - by the way, much better driving experience than the stock Pzero that came with them -except for the MB, which had the Conti).
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 09:24 PM   #5
Big Fred
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i and i8

I have gone to putting 100% helium in my tires. Helium molecules are among the tiniest in the universe so my tires do go flat every few days, but when I corner sharply and make the tires squeal, they sound like the Chipmunks (the famous band) so I got that going for me!
Appreciate 4
      05-12-2015, 03:14 PM   #6
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yw View Post
Did everyone get nitrogen filled tires versus air filled ones with their i8s or with any of their recently delivered bimmers? Furthermore, do the benefits of nitrogen gas really outweigh the merits of air when it comes to tire performance or is it just hype? I also recognize nitrogen gas pumps are not as readily accesable as conventional air pumps.

I'm contemplating bleeding out the nitrogen from my tires and replacing it with air since I already have an air compressor. Would appreciate everyone's thoughts and actual experience on this matter before coming to a final decision.
When I got my Porsche back on '06, my Chicago dealer convinced me to put Nitrogen in the tires. When I moved to Switzerland, I had to change to air, because they don't do Nitrogen over here. Did not notice the slightest bit of difference. Not in handling, not in road noise, not in pressure fluctuation. Maybe it was there and I wasn't paying attention. But that at least tells me the difference must have been minute, if anything.
Appreciate 2
      05-12-2015, 03:36 PM   #7
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fred View Post
I have gone to putting 100% helium in my tires. Helium molecules are among the tiniest in the universe so my tires do go flat every few days, but when I corner sharply and make the tires squeal, they sound like the Chipmunks (the famous band) so I got that going for me!
You forgot the weight savings and the hover function...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 04:38 PM   #8
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yw View Post
do the benefits of nitrogen gas really outweigh the merits of air when it comes to tire performance
Yes, Nitrogen is absolutely 100% worth it, and WILL make a difference, AND will be noticeable in performance....if you are an F1 driver in an F1 car
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 01:17 PM   #9
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Actually I use nitrogen in my wifes car. Excellent product. 2 resons:

1. Our temperature varies from 0- 35c in the winter. The change of pressure is much lower than in a oxygen filled tire.

2. The pressure seems to keep longer, so wife doesnt need to check pressures all the time.

Sadly my current dealer has no NO, so cant use it now...
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2015, 07:48 PM   #10
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip1 View Post

1. Our temperature varies from 0- 35c in the winter. The change of pressure is much lower than in a oxygen filled tire.

2. The pressure seems to keep longer, so wife doesnt need to check pressures all the time.

Makes sense where the ambient temperature can fluctuate to that extent. I do notice that the air filled tires' PSI increases by as much as 2-4 pounds when run hard in warm weather. However, Nitrogen (NO) or no NO, wife (Commander-in-Chief) makes me (Private-First-Class) check and refill the tire pressure routinely. It also gives me a chance to inspect the tread condition of her tires. Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2016, 12:34 AM   #11
Insanerb25
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGT3 View Post

There is only a negligible advantage, im not going to explain the whole thing the guy from engineering explained covers it well here http://www.bvmotorsports.com/nitrogen-filled-tires.html
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2016, 12:13 AM   #12
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
I just fill up with water. It's easier to spot a leak that way.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 08:09 PM   #13
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip1

same here on the winter tire.....never had any tire pressure issues vs. on the summer tired after storing.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 11:11 AM   #14
200mph
salaried tourist, BMWCCA, HMSA, NASA
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, M5, MGs, SpecE46racecar

(1) helps protect lazy owners from the effect of rarely (if ever) checking their tire pressures.

(2) Hugely profitable for the stealership. Local BMW dlr packs on $50 for nitro fill.
Appreciate 1