BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

08-16-2020, 10:24 PM   #1
thesubmitter
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 BMW i8 Acura MDX

Brake Upgrade for lapping/street

I’m not going to lap the car that often (it will be my first time at the end of the month), but I’m wondering if I should bother changing the new brake pads to something else - since I will be taking off the wheels and what not? Looking for something would be a significant improvement for lapping and as good for daily driving at a reasonable price. My friend is bring his RS3 , need to bring my A game!!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 10:45 AM   #2
P.K.
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Grey BMW i8

Garage List
brake pads

Last year I went through this ordeal. You will find many manufacturers that will supply front pads but all roads lead to EBC for the rears.I think it is foolish to mix brake pad compounds- it only leads to back front inconsistency? I eventually went for the EBC yellow and for me they seem to perform as advertised. At the track they give confidence inspiring bite and are easy to modulate. Fade is simply not an issue. The Ridge has a 1 Km straight followed by a slight turn then a 50 Kph left hander.
My end speed approaches 200Kph and the EBCs performed with repeated confidence every lap. Further research led me to discover that the rear brake pads are the same as many BMW with exception of 1.5 mm in thickness- Why is a mystery? I will go for a set of the Hawk Street track wide heat range pads next time- I might have to gently mill that thickness away or simply not install the pad piston shim? Cheers
Appreciate 0