07-04-2019, 12:10 PM   #23
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barago View Post
Also some people I know around here are super Tesla fanboys etc.
Yes - there are indeed a few v defensive fanbois on this forum
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 02:43 PM   #24
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barago View Post
Should be an interesting battle....I think the Porsche will likely handle better.

The taycan will lease like sh*t for a while if Porsche history repeats itself.
No doubt about it that even if the Porker is poor, it will still handle better than any current Tesla.

I've no interest in either car currently anyway. Unless the Taycan surprises us all by being like the concept after all.

And the demand/numbers suggest it will be as common as most other Porkers on the road, hence nothing "special", and effectively invisible.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 04:12 PM   #25
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

FYI: The Taycan Configurator is now live.

https://www.porsche.com/usa/modelsta...elrange=taycan

My order (Turbo S) has been created and is now waiting for allocation! ...another wait begins...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 04:59 PM   #26
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Got to admit, it looks reasonably close to the concept, and pretty nice.

Pity about the low range (vs Tesla) and massive weight though.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 09:44 PM   #27
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

$200k. 5100 lbs. 10.8 1/4 mile.

Predictions for Nordschleife?

I still want a 2200 lbs. Z2M. for $50k.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 02:45 PM   #28
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
$200k. 5100 lbs. 10.8 1/4 mile.

Predictions for Nordschleife?

I still want a 2200 lbs. Z2M. for $50k.
It's already done the Nordschleife, 7:43

A Tesla Model S did it 20 seconds quicker apparently. But it sounds like it was heavily modified so an utterly pointless exercise.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 05:45 PM   #29
eswimm
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxsirrah View Post

A Tesla Model S did it 20 seconds quicker apparently. But it sounds like it was heavily modified so an utterly pointless exercise.
In theory, it was a prototype for a new plaid trim of the S and X, which has 3 drive motors instead of 2. In either case it wasn't an official time published by Tesla, but by a German auto mag.

I'd love to see 2 motors in the rear end with torque vectoring on a Model X. It would allow it to surpass everything my X6M offered with the exception of the HUD and 360 camera view.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 04:13 PM   #30
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxsirrah View Post

Its certainly NOT pointless as its got the Porsche guys all stirred up!

Neither of these cars (Taycan or Model S) were completely stock. (Tesla was using the new "PLAID" powertrain to be introduced in 2020)

I never expected them to even meet the Taycan lap time much less crush it by 20 seconds. ...and that wasn't even their final run! They are still running practice sessions...

The fact that Tesla smashed the record - even with a yet unreleased powertrain - is huge! Congrats to Elon. He's got the Porsche guys going absolutely crazy....and thats good for everyone! Very cool! The more competition the better!

Too bad BMW is nowhere to be found. They won't even make an EV with 200+ miles of range. I've been a very loyal customer of BMW for many years but they simply are not keeping up here. That's why Porsche is getting my money now. I would have bought another BMW if they simply offered something range-competitive...

I've signed the build order, have a commission number, but still waiting for Porsche to release the allocations: http://www.porsche-code.com/PLDS93N6

Tesla Model S (Plaid/Practice): 7:22
Porsche Taycan(Model unspecified): 7:42
BMW i8 (Modified): 8:19.8

Last edited by evanevery; 09-18-2019 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 04:49 PM   #31
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

IMO it is pointless. The Tesla was a special modified car with super sticky wider tyres, brake and body mods. Cooling mods also evident. Future 3 motor powertrain too.

The Porsche was the lower spec road version on road tyres.

Completely meaningless Tesla result.
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2019, 04:54 PM   #32
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
IMO it is pointless. The Tesla was a special modified car with super sticky wider tyres, brake and body mods. Cooling mods also evident. Future 3 motor powertrain too.

The Porsche was the lower spec road version on road tyres.

Completely meaningless Tesla result.
You should visit the Taycan forum and get better info. Lots of details there...

The Tesla was running their new Plaid powertrain which is supposed to be released in 2020. This includes the 3rd motor, a battery pack with greater cell spacing for better cooling, and the CCB's to be included next year.

Both cars were running the same tires. Sport Cup 2's I believe...

The fact that everybody's so concerned and busy making up excuses (one way or another) is points enough!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 04:54 PM   #33
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Nobody really hates you if you have a crappy product. You're simply not a threat. No one cares...

If you REALLY want to be hated, you have to have a product that threatens the "natural order of things".

To be REALLY hated, you need to make people insecure. Challenge what they think they know.

If folks aren't shouting from the rooftops how crappy your product is then they really aren't threatened enough.

...and it appears pretty much EVERYONE hates Tesla!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 08:35 PM   #34
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
Why are they called Turbo and Turbo S? Don’t seem to have any turbos installed.
Why are they soooo heavy? Can’t see lugging around 1500-2000 pounds of batteries as being very efficient. I would think a hybrid would be a better choice like the Porsche 918 or a BMW i8 which does have a turbo.

Last edited by Coastali8; 09-18-2019 at 09:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 08:44 AM   #35
eswimm
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal i8 View Post
Why are they called Turbo and Turbo S? Don’t seem to have any turbos installed.
Why are they soooo heavy? Can’t see lugging around 1500-2000 pounds of batteries as being very efficient. I would think a hybrid would be a better choice like the Porsche 918 or a BMW i8 which does have a turbo.
Porsche considers Turbo and Turbo S to be trims I guess, independent of the actual power plant.

Electric with battery is not only far more efficient than even hybrid, but it has tremendously lower maintenance requirements.

My Model X P100D costs less than $0.035 per mile in fuel (electricity) and the Model 3 RWD costs me less than $0.025 and $0 in maintenance over 45k miles and 3 years combined, with the exception of tires. The i8 costs me about $0.10 per mile on gas or about $0.03 on electric, but with additional maintenance (although the i8 isn't that bad) and tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 10:32 AM   #36
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post

The Tesla was running their new Plaid powertrain which is supposed to be released in 2020. This includes the 3rd motor, a battery pack with greater cell spacing for better cooling, and the CCB's to be included next year.

Both cars were running the same tires. Sport Cup 2's I believe...
I've no skin in the game. I've no Tesla or Porsche, and neither on order.

Just calling it as it is. The Tesla was not even close to a road car, nor based on a car currently available. (I don't believe anything Musk says until it's delivered.)

Either way, if it's Top Trumps Elon wants to play, the electric Lotus Evija will destroy anything current or planned from Tesla. And the hybrid Aston Valkyrie will destroy that (due December).
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 10:33 AM   #37
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Agree with Coastal. Taycan is far too heavy.

And it has too little range. It also currently lacks Tesla's charging network. Not a practical proposition at all.
Appreciate 1
Coastali8125.50
      09-19-2019, 12:56 PM   #38
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Agree with Coastal. Taycan is far too heavy.

And it has too little range. It also currently lacks Tesla's charging network. Not a practical proposition at all.
All the reviews I've seen seem to note how light the car feels. If the car feels light and is engineered to perform similarly, it matters little what the actual weight is (unless you are crossing a weight limited wooden bridge).

EV haters always seem to say the Tesla's are too heavy as well. To what end, I'm not sure. The Teslas are still blindingly quick and get 250+ miles of range. So, in the scheme of things, it doesn't really matter. The important part is how the cars perform and how they feel...

...and Elon was running his new "Plaid" powertrain which is scheduled to be available/production in 2020 as a Model S option. The "plaid" powertrain has been in development/discussion for some time and Elon has a pretty good record of delivering on his promises...

I'm getting ready to move away from my Model-X and into the Taycan and I still think this is very cool.

All the Porsche fanbois are all spun up. If this REALLY didn't matter - then no one would be spending so much effort telling us exactly WHY it didn't matter...

Last edited by evanevery; 09-19-2019 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 04:07 PM   #39
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
If the car feels light and is engineered to perform similarly, it matters little what the actual weight is .
Newtonian physics would beg to differ with you

...as would every race car ever made.

Yes any Tesla is too heavy too, but it's a family saloon car, so it matters a lot less than with a "sports focused" Porsche.

Almost all pure electric cars are very heavy. The only exception I can think of is the i3.
Appreciate 1
Coastali8125.50
      09-19-2019, 08:20 PM   #40
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eswimm View Post
Porsche considers Turbo and Turbo S to be trims I guess, independent of the actual power plant.

Electric with battery is not only far more efficient than even hybrid, but it has tremendously lower maintenance requirements.

My Model X P100D costs less than $0.035 per mile in fuel (electricity) and the Model 3 RWD costs me less than $0.025 and $0 in maintenance over 45k miles and 3 years combined, with the exception of tires. The i8 costs me about $0.10 per mile on gas or about $0.03 on electric, but with additional maintenance (although the i8 isn't that bad) and tires.
Well...
I’ve owned lots of Porsche cars over the years and loved every one of them. The i8 is actually the first BMW I’ve owned. Never considered a Tesla for any reason as they are just a heavy tub with a big battery and that was never something I was interested in. The Porsche Taycan seems very cool but it don’t think it’s a replacement for an i8 for the same reasons. Don’t think Sr. Newton would want either one.

As for cost of operations. That’s an argument that can’t even be made. Wait till you replace those 265x21 and 305x21 tires on the Taycan at about every 13,000 miles and everything you’ve saved in gas goes out the window. Then add depreciation and insurance for a $200,000 car and your off to the rodeo.
You can’t talk about saving money or pretend to be saving the planet with any of these cars. Just pick one that suits your needs, but don’t compare a Tesla tub or Porsche 4 door family sedan with the i8. I figure my i8 at $4.00 a mile just in depreciation alone. I still like it though.

Last edited by Coastali8; 09-19-2019 at 10:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 04:56 PM   #41
eswimm
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal i8 View Post
As for cost of operations. That’s an argument that can’t even be made. Wait till you replace those 265x21 and 305x21 tires on the Taycan at about every 13,000 miles and everything you’ve saved in gas goes out the window. Then add depreciation and insurance for a $200,000 car and your off to the rodeo.
You can’t talk about saving money or pretend to be saving the planet with any of these cars. Just pick one that suits your needs, but don’t compare a Tesla tub or Porsche 4 door family sedan with the i8. I figure my i8 at $4.00 a mile just in depreciation alone. I still like it though.
I agree the comparison is silly when you're talking vastly different acquisition costs, but the comparison isn't so unreasonable when you compare a BMW X6M to a Model X Performance or a BMW M3 to a Model 3 Performance. Since I made the trade from an X6M to the Model X and a 335i to the Model 3 RWD, a relatively lateral move when comparing MSRP, but moved to tremendously lower fuel and maintenance costs, including tires.

That said, I have the i8 because it is a totally different car. The weight and handling is best compared to my 2007 M6 and while people bash the i8 for being under powered, I personally feel the extra torque from the front motor makes it very comparable to the M6 at speeds that most people will encounter. I don't see the i8 in the same class as any of the Teslas or the Porsche.
Appreciate 1
Coastali8125.50
      08-23-2020, 02:46 PM   #42
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

Finally took possession of a 2020 Taycan turbo after 8 months of waiting. It's sitting side by side in my garage along with the i8 (i8 is more stunning, with a lower and wider profile). While the Porsche is extremely quick off the line and beyond, all the while as if it handles on rails, it does not take away my fondness for the i8.

While it may not possess the snap acceleration and power of the Taycan Turbo, the i8, in contrast, has a lower supercar stance and is a lot more exhilarating to drive. Besides that, the i8's GT ride; great handling; everyday drivability; absurdly low gas mileage; notable reliability (in comparison to supercars), and low maintenance places it in an enviable class of its own. Perhaps that's why I would be hard put to replace it with another vehicle. The i8 is a keeper, that is if they don't come out with its better iteration.

Last edited by YWGT3; 08-23-2020 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 10:44 PM   #43
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGT3 View Post
Finally took possession of a 2020 Taycan turbo after 8 months of waiting. It's sitting side by side in my garage along with the i8 (i8 is more stunning, with a lower and wider profile). While the Porsche is extremely quick off the line and beyond, all the while as if it handles on rails, it does not take away my fondness for the i8.

While it may not possess the snap acceleration and power of the Taycan Turbo, the i8, in contrast, has a lower supercar stance and is a lot more exhilarating to drive. Besides that, the i8's GT ride; great handling; everyday drivability; absurdly low gas mileage; notable reliability (in comparison to supercars), and low maintenance places it in an enviable class of its own. Perhaps that's why I would be hard put to replace it with another vehicle. The i8 is a keeper, that is if they don't come out with its better iteration.
Congratulations, great car. I love the looks, especially the front which distinguishes it from all other Porsches. I took a Taycan Turbo for a test drive about a month ago and was very impressed. My first reaction was “I want one”. Interesting that you mention the GT ride of the i8 because I found the Taycan’s ride even in Sport Plus more compliant than the i8 in comfort. That really surprised me. The acceleration is fierce, but after I got back in the i8, it didn’t suffer as much as I thought it would by comparison. I still really enjoy the i8, but I am sorely tempted by the Taycan. I would also pick the Turbo over the Turbo S. Unles I am wrong, the only time you get the extra horsepower of the S is at launch. I have owned 3 cars with launch control and have never once used it.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 08:32 AM   #44
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJohn View Post
Congratulations, great car. I love the looks, especially the front which distinguishes it from all other Porsches. I took a Taycan Turbo for a test drive about a month ago and was very impressed. My first reaction was “I want one”. Interesting that you mention the GT ride of the i8 because I found the Taycan’s ride even in Sport Plus more compliant than the i8 in comfort. That really surprised me. The acceleration is fierce, but after I got back in the i8, it didn’t suffer as much as I thought it would by comparison. I still really enjoy the i8, but I am sorely tempted by the Taycan. I would also pick the Turbo over the Turbo S. Unles I am wrong, the only time you get the extra horsepower of the S is at launch. I have owned 3 cars with launch control and have never once used it.
Thanks, only took 8 months to get it (just being facetious). You're right, the Taycan Turbo's ride is exceptionally smooth for a Porsche, especially in contrast to the 911 Turbo I had. My view on the i8 is that its stance, being lower in height and seating that's closer to the ground, gives it a sportier and more exotic sensation, all the while delivering a GT ride.

I chose the Turbo over the S because the turbo gets better mileage (Speaking of which, for the first 5 charges, I got 245 miles. I'll see if the mileage drops when winter sets in). Plus, I opted to splurge on the myriad of performance, exterior and interior upgrades Porsche gets you on.

On another note, everytime I enter my garage and despite how beautiful the Taycan's lines are, the i8 design seems to draw more of my attention.
Appreciate 0