Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

08-24-2020, 03:47 PM   #1
MolarBear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 LCI

Dashcam UPS / fuse - power only when charging?

Hi all,

I'm wanting to install a front and rear dashcam, and power both off a UPS so as to not affect the battery range. I also want to only power the dashcams for x many hours after the car has been driven / park mode, so that all the footage isn't overwritten overnight etc. A few questions if people know:

1. A little tricky here:
I want the cameras to be powered from the car and turned on when the car is driven. (So drivers footage from alternator/internal power)
I want the cameras to be powered from the UPS when the car is off when in park mode. (Parked footage from UPS only not internal battery)
I want the UPS to charge when the car is charging from the mains OR when the car is being driven/on, but I don't want the UPS to be draining the battery of a parked car. Is this possible? Would it be a combination of fuses that trigger the difference behaviours? Which are the best fuses to tap into?

2. Are there any cameras that go into park mode for a preset number of hours/certain times (I park at work from 8am -> 7pm, I don't need the camera recording when I park up at home).

3. What brand cameras/UPS do people recommend?

Thanks again!

Last edited by MolarBear; 08-24-2020 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 08:21 PM   #2
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 i8 coupe,2019x5,2019 740i

I would recommend just getting one of the commercial battery packs for dash cams.
I've got the blackvue 900s dashcam, and an older battery (couple years) called CellLink B.
It does what you're asking for, powers the cam while driving using car's power, charges the battery while driving, and switches to the external battery while parked, not interfering with the car. The external battery charges full from empty in about 20 minutes. The battery provides about 20 hours of front and rear dash cam power.
There are some new battery models, that probably have even betters stats.
Appreciate 0