BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

09-01-2020, 06:58 PM   #1
uncle_albert
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Buying Used in the UK

Hi Everyone,

First post. Spent a long time deciding what to get and this forum has been an excellent source of knowledge and photos and eventually was convinced. Please queue up to get your commission

I think I just love the way this car can have mutiple uses; school run, local short trips, a cruiser, a day-to-day car, a fun car and a put-your-foot-down car.

It's unique in many ways and I've never seen one where I live in a sleepy village in the UK - first time I saw one was when I took one for a test drive - so they seem rare. Plenty of 911s about!

Buying used is always tricky with what you are prepared to compromise with and how patient you are to wait for the right one to appear - colour, age, mileage, warranty etc.

Most folks appear to have taken out a waranty, but is there anyone who hasn't? Perhaps taking a chance and putting aside some funds. What has been your experience?

Name:  My BMWi8.png
Views: 1963
Size:  774.2 KB

Best wishes,
Albert
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2020, 11:08 PM   #2
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
Great looking car!
3 1/2 years now and only issue was fuel tank pressure sensor that keeps the fill door locked.
Just disconnected the locking mechanism was the free fix.

Didn’t buy a warranty. No regrets so far.

Last edited by Coastali8; 09-01-2020 at 11:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 10:49 AM   #3
Pheath217
Rep
Drives: Land Rover Disco, BMW i3, I8

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_albert View Post
Hi Everyone,

First post. Spent a long time deciding what to get and this forum has been an excellent source of knowledge and photos and eventually was convinced. Please queue up to get your commission

I think I just love the way this car can have mutiple uses; school run, local short trips, a cruiser, a day-to-day car, a fun car and a put-your-foot-down car.

It's unique in many ways and I've never seen one where I live in a sleepy village in the UK - first time I saw one was when I took one for a test drive - so they seem rare. Plenty of 911s about!

Buying used is always tricky with what you are prepared to compromise with and how patient you are to wait for the right one to appear - colour, age, mileage, warranty etc.

Most folks appear to have taken out a waranty, but is there anyone who hasn't? Perhaps taking a chance and putting aside some funds. What has been your experience?

Attachment 2403512

Best wishes,
Albert
Have a used one in the UK also, albeit low mileage. I have no warranty and have no concerns.

The fuel tank issue concerned me until I realised that you sometimes have to wait 20-30 seconds for the tank to de-pressurise before the flap will open. Don't get this confused with the issue of not opening at all.

Great car, enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 01:22 PM   #4
Mr Squarekins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I8

I went to Ikea in mine last night and came away with flatpack bookshelves that fitted across the back seat.

It's basically a volvo!
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2020, 11:56 AM   #5
MajorJump
Private
Rep

I've had a warranty since I've had mine and it's paid for itself each year.

Statistically, you won't save money with a warranty (as otherwise the warranty companies wouldn't make any money). However, for me it's more of the gamble of the expense if/when things go wrong.

The extended warranty is a good one, no silly discussions about what is and isn't covered, and the recovery and replacement car service is second to none.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 12:16 PM   #6
MolarBear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 LCI

They look to be £999 for back to back warranty (whilst you're still in warranty) vs £1800 per annum for out of warranty.

It seems like a good deal for peace of mind for any usually expensive repairs!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 02:21 PM   #7
Amr_d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport

Warranty all the way for me when mine comes up to expiring next Year in October.
My previous car 911 lived under a Porsche warranty. The a/c hose went on engine side. It was a engine drop out job to replace hose.
Cost was over £4k!. All covered by warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 08:21 AM   #8
MajorJump
Private
Rep

Yeah I was unlucky enough to need an engine replacement on my last car (Jaguar XKR). Having a warranty there saved me 10s of thousands.

Yeah you pay a premium, but for me it's worth it for the peace of mind.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2020, 12:01 PM   #9
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
I'm generally the kind of person who doesnt buy extended warrantys on anything and will deal with the ebbs and flows, but this is such a complex beast, I've made an exception...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 02:15 PM   #10
Strikerxt
Rep

Warranty is a must on these cars! Any work to be done on the engine is a engine out with a 5 + hour labor cost. That over £3000 just to diagnose from BMW main dealer.
How do I know because my one is in for a repair. Total repair cost nearly £8000. I have cover which will cover most of the cost.
Repair needed, complete timing chains replacement with all the added parts along with some vanos parts, replacement turbo, and 1 drive shaft needs replacing.
Appreciate 0