BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

07-22-2020, 05:47 PM   #1
BanjoPaterson
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

BMW Advanced Car Eye 2.0

I'm thinking of getting BMW's dash cam, called Advanced Car Eye 2.0, for my i8.

Has anyone already got one and, if so -- thoughts?

My only concern is the cabin's aesthetics, as the unit looks quite large.

I know that other people may have other dash cams -- and that these are probably much cheaper and, no doubt, better. However, the cost differential against the thought of having BMW equipment in the car is worth it for me.

Thanking people in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 01:28 AM   #2
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Where do you live? From quick glance it would be illegal in e.g. Germany because of continuous recording. In some countries you need a dashcam that only makes the recording persistent a couple minutes before and after if there is an accident or you actively declare an incident. This dashcam seem to persistently record once ignition is started.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 08:40 PM   #3
BanjoPaterson
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leto1701 View Post
Where do you live? From quick glance it would be illegal in e.g. Germany because of continuous recording. In some countries you need a dashcam that only makes the recording persistent a couple minutes before and after if there is an accident or you actively declare an incident. This dashcam seem to persistently record once ignition is started.
Thank you for your response. In Australia they're legal and sometimes used to prove/disprove you did/didn't do something. It does record speed, which is interesting, and I wonder if it can be turned off for... "track days".

But it does seem a chunky device and I'm not certain how the rear camera could be mounted or used? Something to talk to the BMW people about. Also, not certain how reversible it is if I don't like it.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 09:36 PM   #4
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 i8 coupe,2019x5,2019 740i

I think the third party dashcams are better. Smaller, more discreet, and with more features. I've been using the blackvue dashcams for years, and just installed the 900s on all 3 bimmers over the past week.

I just saw something about BMW drive recorder, which I think utilizes the built in cameras for recording?
If this is indeed the case, I think that is definitely the way to go. I'm surprised it's taken this long, and hopefully it will be an option available in the near future.

Appreciate 1
      07-24-2020, 01:00 AM   #5
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman777 View Post
I think the third party dashcams are better. Smaller, more discreet, and with more features. I've been using the blackvue dashcams for years, and just installed the 900s on all 3 bimmers over the past week.

I just saw something about BMW drive recorder, which I think utilizes the built in cameras for recording?
If this is indeed the case, I think that is definitely the way to go. I'm surprised it's taken this long, and hopefully it will be an option available in the near future.

That would be nice but the i8 doesn't have the required camera. It's not the one for the front bird view but the one in the mirror mount. The i8 doesn't have lane assist & Co, it's a driver car
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2020, 01:12 AM   #6
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

That would be nice but the i8 doesn't have the required camera. It's not the one for the front bird view but the one in the mirror mount. The i8 doesn't have lane assist & Co, it's a driver car
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 11:20 PM   #7
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 i8 coupe,2019x5,2019 740i

I thought the i8 has front, rear and side (looking down) views?

I've been travelling a lot this past week.
Finally got my BlackVue hard wired. I love it.

It's amazing how many people like to pose taking pictures leaning, possibly sitting on the front hood.
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2020, 01:54 AM   #8
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

It's amazing how many people like to pose taking pictures leaning, possibly sitting on the front hood.
Yes thr i8 has those, but the nose cam is not usable for this. It is very low and wide angle. The cam used is the one in the rear view mirror facing forward used for lane assistance, etc. and the i8 doesn't have this function.
Appreciate 2
      08-03-2020, 08:40 PM   #9
BanjoPaterson
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:

I finally saw the BMW cameras and they are 30% smaller than I thought, and quite light. So I think they'll work well.

I'm not looking forward to seeing anyone sit on the front hood, or bonnet as we call it here in Oz. Why can't people respect good things?

Anyway, it's going ahead and I'll write up a review of sorts once they're installed.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 05:12 AM   #10
Adofred
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW I8 LCI

Great - looking forward to seeing your review as I have been thinking about the same for a while . My BMW dealer told me that the version 1.0 was crap , but that they have fitted version 2 to an I8 with good results . Whilst there clearly seem to be cheaper and better dash cams out there , I like the way the BMW one is integrated into the cars existing system .
If possible it might be useful to try to be there when they finally stick the front camera on the windscreen to be happy with the results . There are some threads on this forum for other BMW models , including the mounting instructions and the phone app . From memory they seem to recommend putting the camera a bit too low ( on the passenger side ) of the rear view mirror where i suspect it interferes more than necessary with the passenger view . I am not sure whether its important to avoid mounting on the “ frits “ - the black dots baked into the windshield , which might have some function in relation to the automatic wiper rain sensing function ?
Good luck !
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2020, 07:27 AM   #11
Adofred
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoPaterson View Post
I finally saw the BMW cameras and they are 30% smaller than I thought, and quite light. So I think they'll work well.

I'm not looking forward to seeing anyone sit on the front hood, or bonnet as we call it here in Oz. Why can't people respect good things?

Anyway, it's going ahead and I'll write up a review of sorts once they're installed.
Hi , just wondering if you went ahead and installed the Advanced Car Eye 2.0 and if so your thoughts on it ?
Many thanks Adrian
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 06:29 PM   #12
BanjoPaterson
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adofred View Post
Hi , just wondering if you went ahead and installed the Advanced Car Eye 2.0 and if so your thoughts on it ?
Many thanks Adrian
I got the cameras installed and my thoughts:
  • They are larger than I'd like, but that's dash cams
  • The rear one on the i8's back glass sucks (see photos), but there's no other real position for it
  • The voice telling me it's activated is in English with a German accent -- how cool is that?!
  • The app (ACE 2.0) is not intuitive at all -- my daughter's $100 el-cheapo BlueSkySea has a better application than BMW's.
  • It's 60 FPS (frames per second) ONLY IF the front dash is activated, otherwise it's 30 FPS for front and back
  • The radar in park mode works a treat - and comes on every time I enter my garage. The dash cam also blinks to let people know they're being recorded.
  • The installation into the car required my local BMW taking out a lot of trim - but to their credit they only charged me what they quoted
  • It makes me feel a lot better since there's a lot of idjits on the road that drive up close behind me or cut in front - and they're all caught on film
When I was at the car wash I decided to take quick photos of the dash cam. I'm not a good photographer and it seemed something to pass the time.

PS: I use the water sprayer only and not the soapy broom - and not the multicoloured wax either. I've got a clear wrap on my car and bugs etc. spray off pretty well with the water sprayer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 12:48 PM   #13
Adofred
Ireland
Rep

Many thanks for this - very complete reply and you have ticked all the question boxes I had . I am worried about idjits driving around me and often far too close to me from behind . I already got reared ended in slow city centre traffic by a young lady driver - luckily only bummer damage but it cost about €3k to fix - paid for by her insurance co. I had a somewhat similar problem of being tail gated over the years in my Carreras , but for some reason the problem seems worse in the I8 - perhaps increased curiosity ?
It does indeed look quite big in the rear view mirror and I note the way you have offset it to the rear . I think I tend to use the side mirrors quite a bit more than the rear view in practice but you have given me plenty of food for thought .
Stay safe from the eejits !
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2020, 12:30 PM   #14
dragonsdreams
Private
Rep
Drives: i8

Any ideas what the dealer fitting charge would be (in UK). Collecting my CPO i8 next week and wondering about a decent dash cam. Thanks for the photos, the rear camera looks pretty big considering the rear window isn't the biggest to start with. ��
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 01:06 PM   #15
MolarBear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 LCI

That looks smart, if a little larger than what most people would prefer. How's the battery life in park mode?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 06:57 PM   #16
BanjoPaterson
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolarBear View Post
That looks smart, if a little larger than what most people would prefer. How's the battery life in park mode?
It operates on the main battery and seems to be pretty good. It will deactivate when it detects too much drain on the main battery. Anecdotally, when I drive and park the car at lunchtime one day, when I enter the garage the following day the rear camera begins its activation.

The only time I saw them shutdown was when I put a cover on the car (I assume it activated the radar) for 3-4 days.

From the manual:
The park mode is activated as soon as the ignition is switched off.If the vehicle detects vibration or movement in front of the radar sensors, a 20 second sequence is recorded in each case.Videos that are recorded as a result of vibration are saved in the "Event" folder, and videos that are recorded as a result of movement are saved in the "Parking" folder on the SD card.In park mode, the device monitors its own energy consumption and the condition of the car battery, and it switches off when the threshold value is reached, for safety reasons, in order to protect the battery and to keep your vehicle ready for use.
Other than being larger than life, and the cam talking English in a German accent, it operates very well.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 07:19 PM   #17
BanjoPaterson
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsdreams View Post
Any ideas what the dealer fitting charge would be (in UK). Collecting my CPO i8 next week and wondering about a decent dash cam. Thanks for the photos, the rear camera looks pretty big considering the rear window isn't the biggest to start with. ��
Just one thing - the rear dash cam is not attached to the rear hatch, but the interior glass between the back seats and the engine. You may have figured that out but thought I'd clarify just in case.

Also, BMW ran all the cables in the trim in the car and, to their credit, I can't see any except where it attaches to the camera. That keeps the interior free of wires -- unlike my installation of my daughter's BlueSkySea el-cheapo (but still surprisingly good) dash cam.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 02:48 PM   #18
dragonsdreams
Private
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoPaterson View Post
Just one thing - the rear dash cam is not attached to the rear hatch, but the interior glass between the back seats and the engine. You may have figured that out but thought I'd clarify just in case.

Also, BMW ran all the cables in the trim in the car and, to their credit, I can't see any except where it attaches to the camera. That keeps the interior free of wires -- unlike my installation of my daughter's BlueSkySea el-cheapo (but still surprisingly good) dash cam.
Thanks for the info, may well get one installed after I get the car����

Last edited by dragonsdreams; 09-19-2020 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: Grammer
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 08:58 AM   #19
Domi40
JackD
Rep
Drives: BMW540 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leto1701 View Post
The Dash Cam can actually be set to either continuous recording & G Force, or just G Force
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 09:32 AM   #20
Domi40
JackD
Rep
Drives: BMW540 G80

ACE 2.0

ACE 2.0 -
I've had one for 2 years and it's not as bad as most people seem tone saying.
I'm posting this for the people who are having connectivity problems with the app, which has been a buh bearer for me and this os prevalent for people with either Apple Car Play or Android Auto.
The problem is that smart phones, can only have one wi-fi connection at any given time, if you have either of the above switched on, the phone app will not connect to the dash cam to view the footage, although it records with no problem. The simple way around this problem is to disconnect your phone from the idrive temporarily when you need to view the footage.
The other small issue is the fact that the SD card is only 32gb and whilst you can use a third party ones up to 128gb, you will get issues with the recordings, however it has a re-write loop which works well.
The other thing with the SD card is, you need to reformat it every month at least, but that is the same for every dash cam.
The footage is only 1080, but is good enough in most conditions.
The parking sensor is absolutely brilliant, I had an incident when an Amazon van scraped my back corner, when pulling out, after making a delivery to my house, because of the footage, I knew who caused the damage and was able to win my claim, which with excess and future higher fees for insurance, saved me approx £1000.
The specific BMW wiring also drains your battery less than other dash cams and doesn't void your warranty, although I would recommend anyone with a dash cam, charges their battery at least once a weak, or once a month if you do a lot of driving.
The other thing I would say, is that, I have not had any malicious damage or attempted theft (touch wood), I believe that's largely due to the fact that the camera is so visible and would be perps, know they will be recorded.
The reason this dash cam gets a bad rap, is 1) Smart phones only allow one simultaneous connection to wi-fi 2) BMW poor instructions and information available is the main culprit 😏
Obviously this is aimed at anyone with an ACE 2.0 and I hope it helps, because to date, I could not find this information anywhere, had to learn it all by myself.
If you're looking at a dash cam now, get the ACE 3.0 Pro, still the same issue with the Wi-Fi, however HDR recording, improves night time & and very bright sunny day footage.
I'm upgrading mine, next week 😊
Hope the above helps
Appreciate 1
ChiTownM1045.50
      08-06-2023, 11:27 AM   #21
LewRo
United_States
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

How does the ACE behave when parked in your own garage? Can the system be programmed to turn off when in your home’s garage?
Appreciate 0