BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

  BMW i Forums > BMW i8 Forums > BMW i8 General Discussion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-15-2020, 02:38 PM   #1
dragonsdreams
New Member
2
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: i8
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Hitchin

iTrader: (0)

i8 security?

Hi all,

A newbie here from the UK.
Picking up a protonic red BWM CPO next week 👍🙂 and have been pondering security.

Firstly, what do people feel about the risk of 'relay theft' from the comfort edition of the BMW key fob? Would it be worth re-coding it as a push button only fob? Someone mentioned it was about 100 done by the dealer (and reversible).

Secondly what do people feel about the BWM Eye2 dash cam against third party dash cams? With regards security (rather than accident recording) do you feel more secure with a dash cam installed or does watching it back make you even more nervous about leaving your pride and joy alone in a public car park for the evening?

Thirdly should I bother with a bright yellow steering wheel look (like Carlock)

Or should I just put my paranoia aside and get a good gap insurance with the money?

Thanks for your thoughts
(Crossed posted to FB i8)
Mark
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 02:59 PM   #2
Coastali8
Private First Class
United_States
68
Rep
180
Posts

Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Oregon

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Congratulations on your new car. You will love it!

I don’t know too much about the theft rate of the i8 but I would suspect it’s very low. Not much demand for used i8 parts.

A camera will probably just make you more paranoid when you see the people poking around your car. Hopefully they won’t do any damage or decide to steal your camera.

The reviews on this site and others don’t have much good to say about the BMW Eye camera. Appears that there are better choices available.

I have used steering wheel locks before and feel that they are a good visible theft deterrent. And a thief might just pass for something easier. But again... not sure about the used parts value.

Probably good insurance and being careful where you leave the car are your best bets in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 03:27 PM   #3
pjs
Colonel
pjs's Avatar
216
Rep
2,772
Posts

Drives: i8
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NORTH

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsdreams View Post
Hi all,

A newbie here from the UK.
Picking up a protonic red BWM CPO next week 👍🙂 and have been pondering security.

Firstly, what do people feel about the risk of 'relay theft' from the comfort edition of the BMW key fob? Would it be worth re-coding it as a push button only fob? Someone mentioned it was about 100 done by the dealer (and reversible).

Secondly what do people feel about the BWM Eye2 dash cam against third party dash cams? With regards security (rather than accident recording) do you feel more secure with a dash cam installed or does watching it back make you even more nervous about leaving your pride and joy alone in a public car park for the evening?

Thirdly should I bother with a bright yellow steering wheel look (like Carlock)

Or should I just put my paranoia aside and get a good gap insurance with the money?

Thanks for your thoughts
(Crossed posted to FB i8)
Mark
Welcome

FWIW i dont think the i8 is a desirable car to steal - and I've left in in random ncps without concern and parked in plenty less than ideal areas.

That said, I've felt the need to get a dashcam in the event I get crashed into, and have bought from amazon two garmin minis - which are dead easy to self install from the hidden power socket underneath the glovebox - it's really easy to hide the cabling by tucking it behind the trims.

I got Gap from ALA though
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 09:54 AM   #4
chris_1M
Private
20
Rep
84
Posts

Drives: BMW i8
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Netherlands

iTrader: (0)

Have the dealer re-program the Comfort Access function for free! Take it out.
It is an absolute PoS and a joke the dealer sells it as a payable option or have you pay for it to get rid of it.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 10:44 AM   #5
MajorJump
Private
7
Rep
72
Posts

Drives: BMW i8
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Manchester, Uk

iTrader: (0)

Re Dashcams, I'd like one, but they're all a bit fugly. I don't want a big horrible unit slapped on to the windscreen. I can't understand why they're all like that too. I don't need a screen on it - just let me view it on my camera. All of the boxes and circuitry could be held elsewhere too (say the glovebox) all you really need is a wire with a mini camera on the end of it.

I'm not so worried about theft, but vandalism is a concern. I've toyed with getting specific coverage for that, which would give me more peace of mind and also wouldn't impact my "real" insurance in the event of a claim. However, I have had two of my previous cars keyed, so I've been stung before.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 02:56 PM   #6
dragonsdreams
New Member
2
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: i8
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Hitchin

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the replies Guys👍

I'll probably forgo the dash cam and put the money towards a good gap insurance and also decode the key fobs for push button operation.

Also probably get a bright yellow steering lock just as a casual deterrent if I leave it anyway I'm not sure about.

Thanks for all your advice 👍🙂
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 03:31 PM   #7
MolarBear
Private First Class
21
Rep
117
Posts

Drives: BMW i8 LCI
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorJump View Post
Re Dashcams, I'd like one, but they're all a bit fugly. I don't want a big horrible unit slapped on to the windscreen. I can't understand why they're all like that too. I don't need a screen on it - just let me view it on my camera. All of the boxes and circuitry could be held elsewhere too (say the glovebox) all you really need is a wire with a mini camera on the end of it.

I'm not so worried about theft, but vandalism is a concern. I've toyed with getting specific coverage for that, which would give me more peace of mind and also wouldn't impact my "real" insurance in the event of a claim. However, I have had two of my previous cars keyed, so I've been stung before.
You can potentially do this, I last looked into it (and bought) a mobius dashcam about 5 years ago. Unsure if there are other similar models but you can essentially take the camera apart, but the lens alone on a cable, and repackage it. I might 3d print a stealth enclosure that will fit with the rear view mirror...!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 03:33 PM   #8
MolarBear
Private First Class
21
Rep
117
Posts

Drives: BMW i8 LCI
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsdreams View Post
Thanks for the replies Guys👍

I'll probably forgo the dash cam and put the money towards a good gap insurance and also decode the key fobs for push button operation.

Also probably get a bright yellow steering lock just as a casual deterrent if I leave it anyway I'm not sure about.

Thanks for all your advice 👍🙂
If you get BimmerCode and a bluetooth OBD adapter (about 60 all in) you can deactivate the comfort access yourself. I personally love it (but then again I live in a block of apartments where theft from this would be impossible).
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 02:28 PM   #9
dragonsdreams
New Member
2
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: i8
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Hitchin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolarBear View Post
If you get BimmerCode and a bluetooth OBD adapter (about 60 all in) you can deactivate the comfort access yourself. I personally love it (but then again I live in a block of apartments where theft from this would be impossible).
Good call about Bimmercode didn't realise that deactivated comfort access. Was going to look at getting a OBD adapter at some point anyway... Cheers👍🙂
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 03:25 PM   #10
Ionicsilveri8
Private First Class
United Kingdom
55
Rep
188
Posts

Drives: Donington grey i8 LCI
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Devon

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolarBear View Post
I live in a block of apartments where theft from this would be impossible).
How do you get the i8 up the stairs or do you use the lift?!!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 06:01 PM   #11
Mr Squarekins
Private
17
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: I8
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionicsilveri8 View Post
How do you get the i8 up the stairs or do you use the lift?!!
I didn't want to be the one to post the question....

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 06:34 PM   #12
MolarBear
Private First Class
21
Rep
117
Posts

Drives: BMW i8 LCI
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

The lift takes a maximum of 1600kg, so it's fine

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 03:33 AM   #13
Sophisto
Private
Sophisto's Avatar
Germany
42
Rep
90
Posts

Drives: BMW i8 / BMW 850iA
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: German Autobahn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolarBear View Post
The lift takes a maximum of 1600kg, so it's fine
LCI Coupe: 1610kg
Roadster: 1670kg
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 04:54 AM   #14
Leto1701
Private First Class
Leto1701's Avatar
51
Rep
173
Posts

Drives: BMW i8
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
LCI Coupe: 1610kg
Roadster: 1670kg
...and it's not L5 autonomously using the lift, so add the driver. Mine has 2,6t per platform, had to lift a Tesla MS before. That sounds more safe. If something goes wrong no insurance will pay...
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 PM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST