BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

08-14-2020, 05:24 AM   #1
docrog
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 i8, 2023 M3 X-drive Comp

why doesn't the boot/truck BMW emblem allow the boot/truck to open??

compare it to my wife's M140I, that spins 180 degrees and allows the boot (if in Australia) or trunk to open? it is a pest with "comfort opening" that the doors open with the key in the pocket, but have to either pull the key out of the pocket or open the door and push the button to open the boot/truck. any comments?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 09:36 AM   #2
Pheath217
Rep
Drives: Land Rover Disco, BMW i3, I8

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
compare it to my wife's M140I, that spins 180 degrees and allows the boot (if in Australia) or trunk to open? it is a pest with "comfort opening" that the doors open with the key in the pocket, but have to either pull the key out of the pocket or open the door and push the button to open the boot/truck. any comments?
I guess they decided two options for opening the boot were sufficient.
I don't find it a huge issue using the fob.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 04:17 PM   #3
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Quote:
Because its not a 1 series? I've never even thought that opening the trunk was a chore in any way. Maybe you should get a different car.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 02:05 AM   #4
docrog
Private
Australia
Rep

so comfort access opening works on the doors, i was curious why they didn't do it on the boot.it defeats the purpose of having to pull the key out or open the driver's door.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 02:31 AM   #5
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

I fail to understand the question. The boot of the 1series might unlock, but will not open with comfort access. There is a button for that. The i8 doesn't have that button on the boot so either in the car or on the fob you need to signal that you want it open. What is your desired behavior? The boot popping up every time you get near the car? Sorry if I don't get this. If your issue is that on the boot lid there is no button to open it, well yes then there is no way to help...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 05:06 AM   #6
docrog
Private
Australia
Rep

on the 1 series, the car car be locked when you come back from the supermarket, with the bags, and you just open the hatch by flicking the BMW emblem - comfort access. then you open the car door and hop in.
i was curious why the i8 didn't have that ability.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 06:48 AM   #7
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
on the 1 series, the car car be locked when you come back from the supermarket, with the bags, and you just open the hatch by flicking the BMW emblem - comfort access. then you open the car door and hop in.
In other cars a kick below the car opens the boot automatically so you don't need a free hand at all. I wonder why not all cars have the sum of all features. Honestly, I don't understand the question still.

B.t.w. I don't use comfort access because that's an unsolved security issue. Happy to press a button if in return the car to open is still there
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 07:24 AM   #8
Pheath217
Rep

Quote:
So if you have a free hand to rotate the emblem why not use the same free hand to operate the fob
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 08:10 AM   #9
Iain123
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I8

Probably just trying to save weight not have additional boot mechanism
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 03:05 PM   #10
MolarBear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 LCI

I agree with the OP. I use the car as a daily drive and use the boot every day. With comfort access the key is deep in my pocket with other keys or a wallet etc. I can't be bothered to dig in and get it out - sometimes I'll just open the driver door and press the boot key to open it. I think a sensor to open it with comfort access would have been great!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 04:45 AM   #11
dfer
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leto1701 View Post
B.t.w. I don't use comfort access because that's an unsolved security issue. Happy to press a button if in return the car to open is still there
Apologies for the off-topic post, but is it possible to deactivate Comfort Access without a coding change via some OBD device?

I don’t find much advantage in Comfort Access, and couldn’t find any way of deactivating it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 04:50 AM   #12
MolarBear
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfer View Post
Apologies for the off-topic post, but is it possible to deactivate Comfort Access without a coding change via some OBD device?

I don’t find much advantage in Comfort Access, and couldn’t find any way of deactivating it.
Bimmer code will but you're looking at £60 all in for app and OBD device.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 05:20 AM   #13
docrog
Private
Australia
Rep

interesting replies.
wasn't aware of a security issue with comfort access, certainly not in Australia - most BMW's come with it.
some replies are simplistic...buy another car, what am i doing with my hands.
Molar Bear and i are on the same page, walk out with one bag and want to put it in the boot/trunk....
spoke to the service manager and he was unhelpful as to the BMW reason. electronically activated, so not that much extra weight.
shame we dont have a BMW "genius" who could answer some of the questions...another i raised before, why you cant have the fan on but no aircon on the roadster?
Pat...pseudo Genius, any comments. that might be be Pat project!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 12:56 PM   #14
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i8

Why don't we have door soft close? Or what most passengers ask, why don't go the door up by them selves, when I push this button?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 02:26 PM   #15
Mr Squarekins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I8

Alot of my passengers get in then sit blankly looking forward waiting for the door to magically shut. Sigh.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 03:58 PM   #16
MolarBear
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
interesting replies.
wasn't aware of a security issue with comfort access, certainly not in Australia - most BMW's come with it.
some replies are simplistic...buy another car, what am i doing with my hands.
Molar Bear and i are on the same page, walk out with one bag and want to put it in the boot/trunk....
spoke to the service manager and he was unhelpful as to the BMW reason. electronically activated, so not that much extra weight.
shame we dont have a BMW "genius" who could answer some of the questions...another i raised before, why you cant have the fan on but no aircon on the roadster?
Pat...pseudo Genius, any comments. that might be be Pat project!
Some 'comfort' things that have been overlooked, I agree.

You should see the replies on a facebook group when I asked how to activate 'auto hold' or start / stop in traffic

I recently had a 90 minute traffic jam over a 2 mile motorway junction exit. I asked if there was a way that the e-brake could automatically be put on like it does on my Audi instead of standing on the brake for 90 minutes or pressing park then pulling the gear lever again hundreds of times. The replies consisted of 'how heavy is your clutch?', 'why can't you use your foot', 'go for a walk and get something to eat in that time and wait for the traffic to settle'? Sigh...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 05:08 PM   #17
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep

I have the feeling that if such comforts are a priority the i8 is the wrong choice and I like it all the better for it 🥰
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2020, 07:43 AM   #18
Pheath217
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolarBear View Post
Some 'comfort' things that have been overlooked, I agree.

You should see the replies on a facebook group when I asked how to activate 'auto hold' or start / stop in traffic

I recently had a 90 minute traffic jam over a 2 mile motorway junction exit. I asked if there was a way that the e-brake could automatically be put on like it does on my Audi instead of standing on the brake for 90 minutes or pressing park then pulling the gear lever again hundreds of times. The replies consisted of 'how heavy is your clutch?', 'why can't you use your foot', 'go for a walk and get something to eat in that time and wait for the traffic to settle'? Sigh...
There is a parking brake button in front of the gear lever. Releases when you touch the accelerator.
Appreciate 0