Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Quote:
Originally Posted by E94 View Post
Thank you for this information!

Why use google when I can just ask you guys lol
Haha, helps to have a guy I work with that just bought one as well.

I hate it when people tell others to just "google" it. I think its more of a waste to tell someone to do so than to just help if you know the answer! Best of luck with your decision, if you have any other questions, just quote me so I get a notification and I can ask my friend.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 01:18 PM   #24
phantomF80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80

I would suggest reading some of the threads on http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/ if you are seriously considering a Model S. The car is good, but it also has its problems. Even though it's in theory simpler than typical ICE cars, there are many reports of drivetrain failures. Also, Tesla is a very young company, so it does suffer from some quality issues that are not generally not seen in cars at this price range.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 01:32 PM   #25
fw_fw
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 xDrive30i xLine Phytonic

Big question no one has asked: do you have access to a free charging station where you work? If so, that factors into the pros vs cons heavily. That free access has got me considering getting the next gen Volt or a gently used i3 when it is time for my next daily driver....

Current: 18 X3 xDrive30i
Past: 03 530i Sport | 06 330ci ZHP | 14 X1 xDrive35i M-Sport | 11 328i M-Sport | 98 M Roadster
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 02:12 PM   #26
8k3
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Audi is more versatile and imo better build (interior especially)
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 03:34 PM   #27
E94
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomF80 View Post
I would suggest reading some of the threads on http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/ if you are seriously considering a Model S. The car is good, but it also has its problems. Even though it's in theory simpler than typical ICE cars, there are many reports of drivetrain failures. Also, Tesla is a very young company, so it does suffer from some quality issues that are not generally not seen in cars at this price range.
Yes, but a warranty is a warrranty right? haha

I have recently began skimming that site. Some great info there

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw_fw View Post
Big question no one has asked: do you have access to a free charging station where you work? If so, that factors into the pros vs cons heavily. That free access has got me considering getting the next gen Volt or a gently used i3 when it is time for my next daily driver....
Good question. will need to look into it
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 04:54 PM   #28
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8rGrl View Post
Tesla!
+1, without any hesitation.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 05:15 PM   #29
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Lol @ VW
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 05:23 PM   #30
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

The Audi, hands down. The Tesla styling-wise is nothing special. I've sat in plenty of Teslas and the interior is mediocre at best, and that giant 42" flat panel is just plain stupid.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 08:26 AM   #31
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw_fw View Post
Not seeing this mattering a huge amount unless you are worried about the range. Charging your $75k car at home is estimated at about $600 a year -

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find....n=sbs&id=36126

Assuming you charging it for free every day would save you about $400 a year.
      08-26-2015, 09:45 AM   #32
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Well since I bought a Tesla, I ll give Tesla a vote. I don't think its interior is much worse. Kind of like comparing a BMW 5 to an Audi 6/7 difference. Basically the Audi interior is better, but only slightly. The center screen does not impact driving whatsoever... actually you don't really even notice it while you are focused on driving. The UI is super easy to use. If you actually use nav, there's a 3d nav that comes up on the left side of the dash. Software 7.0 should be coming out soon. The adaptive cruise is really nice and good to use on daily commute on the highway. My work garage has two chargers, so I basically get free power.

According to my research on many forum posts, battery degradation should really not exceed 10% even at 100+k miles, so there's really no need to be worried about that. Ya the forum has frequent minor complaints (and some major issues), but that's the case with all car forums... Look at the M3/4 forums... many minor to serious issues with the cars.

I think Tesla is one of the best cars I have driven/owned so definitely recommend. I assume you have a ICE car that you can use for road trips to places without SCs. Depending on your location, may not be good to only have a Tesla without an ICE car.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 02:09 PM   #33
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Quote:
Yes, but a warranty is a warrranty right? haha
Is that a Tommy Boy reference?

if so.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 05:08 PM   #34
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
The Audi, hands down. The Tesla styling-wise is nothing special. I've sat in plenty of Teslas and the interior is mediocre at best, and that giant 42" flat panel is just plain stupid.
I though we were cool. I though you were cool.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 05:30 PM   #35
E94
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher View Post
Is that a Tommy Boy reference?

if so.
haha. i believe the scene was about guarantees, not warranties
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 05:35 PM   #36
E94
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0cool View Post
Well since I bought a Tesla, I ll give Tesla a vote. I don't think its interior is much worse. Kind of like comparing a BMW 5 to an Audi 6/7 difference. Basically the Audi interior is better, but only slightly. The center screen does not impact driving whatsoever... actually you don't really even notice it while you are focused on driving. The UI is super easy to use. If you actually use nav, there's a 3d nav that comes up on the left side of the dash. Software 7.0 should be coming out soon. The adaptive cruise is really nice and good to use on daily commute on the highway. My work garage has two chargers, so I basically get free power.

According to my research on many forum posts, battery degradation should really not exceed 10% even at 100+k miles, so there's really no need to be worried about that. Ya the forum has frequent minor complaints (and some major issues), but that's the case with all car forums... Look at the M3/4 forums... many minor to serious issues with the cars.

I think Tesla is one of the best cars I have driven/owned so definitely recommend. I assume you have a ICE car that you can use for road trips to places without SCs. Depending on your location, may not be good to only have a Tesla without an ICE car.
Great to hear from someone who bought one!

Another thing that I am liking about the tesla is the safety rating. They are freakin tanks man, have you seen the crash tests on youtube?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 12:42 AM   #37
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
I though we were cool. I though you were cool.
I love VW. VW is the best. VW for life. About to go trade in my BMWs for a Jetta. Bye.
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2015, 05:21 PM   #38
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I love VW. VW is the best. VW for life. About to go trade in my BMWs for a Jetta. Bye.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2015, 03:18 PM   #39
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Great to hear from someone who bought one!

Another thing that I am liking about the tesla is the safety rating. They are freakin tanks man, have you seen the crash tests on youtube?
I haven't seen the videos but I know Model S achieves 5 stars in all NHTSA collision tests including a combined score of actually 5.4/5 (but reduced to 5 since they can't report higher than 5 scores).

The car is a joy to drive. I have driven my fair share of BMWs and I think the Model S easily drives better than any BMW with similar weight (in fact drives better than many lighter cars, but obviously not as nimble as a 3 series given the weight diff).

The 70D does a rolling 5 to 60 in 5.1 seconds according to Car and Driver test, which is just 0.4s slower than the ATS-V's 4.7 secs. This is performance you can actually use on the street. In terms of street passing, the 70D does 30-50 in 2.0 and 50-70 in 3.1, which puts it in between the M3 DCT's 1.9 and 2.7 vs ATS-V's 2.4 and 3.2. Also remember this performance comes without having to click any buttons to adjust sport/sport+, gear response, etc modes. It comes on instantaneously as soon as you step on the power. These are real world performance you can use on the street at legal speeds. So even the 70D accomplishes these numbers comparable with performance cars that are about 1000 lbs lighter and generally over 100+ more HP. This is the amazingness of the electric drivetrain. In terms of handling and stopping, the 70D does 70-0 in 176 ft vs the 335ix's 186ft and on the skidpad does 0.87 vs the 335ix's 0.86, out stopping and out handling a car close to 1000 lbs lighter.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 07:00 PM   #40
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

I was in a similar situation. I drive 22k mi a year and consumption is a big factor. I had the 6GC and wouldn't even consider it anymore do to the large size yet lack of interior space. I was between an a7 tdi and an s85 and I chose s85. But then I was 2 month into my wait when I got a call saying some options were discontinued and I would need to wait an additional month for the vehicle with no given incentives. I cancelled and bought an f80

I'm happy for now, but I'm thinking I'll jump into a tesla 70d in about a year.

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 07:08 PM   #41
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08' M5, '09 335i, '18 M3 MT

I might get a lot of hate for this but the Tesla is just one of the most overrated cars in my opinion. I spent a day in one and it's just not something that's comparable to an Audi for example. It doesn't feel expensive inside. It feels kind of like a very modern VW or something in that price range. The rear seats are very uncomfortable and in addition I'd be too afraid of the depreciation, which might be very high if technology keeps moving as fast as it has.

Those are just my 10 cents on your question

Verde Mantis Green M3 F80 Manual
-
Motor Journalist from Germany and BMW Genius
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 09:18 AM   #42
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgroschi View Post
I might get a lot of hate for this but the Tesla is just one of the most overrated cars in my opinion. I spent a day in one and it's just not something that's comparable to an Audi for example. It doesn't feel expensive inside. It feels kind of like a very modern VW or something in that price range. The rear seats are very uncomfortable and in addition I'd be too afraid of the depreciation, which might be very high if technology keeps moving as fast as it has.

Those are just my 10 cents on your question
I think the interior is plenty quality, definitely better than a BMW 5 series or X5, and on par with Porsche Panamera. Yes I would rate interiors of say Audi A8, Mercedes S, BMW 6/7, or Audi S7, as being better in quality. I think a lot of it is preference. I like both the "lots of buttons" in the Panamera vs. the Model S's simplicity, as long as all functions are easily useable. The touch screen on the S is super user friendly and all daily functions are easily useable. The lots of buttons also makes it so all functions are easily reachable and useable... I would call them equivalent in actual usage.

In terms of seating comfort, the new nappa seats are better than the nappa in BMW 5, but not as good as the luxury seats on a BMW 7. Lexus seats from GS up are better than any of these however... Rear seating is an issue if the person is tall with long legs since the seats are kind of low... however that's not really much of an issue in the US since mostly rear seats are for kids. But I definitely agree that's an issue. However the seats look pretty good, and you definitely can easily fit 3 adults in there due to the lack of transmission tunnel.

In terms of actual tech, like how nice the Nav looks and works, etc, Model S clearly exceeds (as long as you turn off the stupid beta in the nav) those in BMW and Porsche.

I would rate Model S and Audi 7 equally beautiful on the outside. The car definitely looks, feels, and drives expensive and oozes quality. And almost all Model S owners agree with me, which is why they almost all like their cars. Many of them owned and still own BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, etc, so it's not like they hadn't/haven't seen or experienced quality.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #43
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08' M5, '09 335i, '18 M3 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0cool View Post
I think the interior is plenty quality, definitely better than a BMW 5 series or X5, and on par with Porsche Panamera. Yes I would rate interiors of say Audi A8, Mercedes S, BMW 6/7, or Audi S7, as being better in quality. I think a lot of it is preference. I like both the "lots of buttons" in the Panamera vs. the Model S's simplicity, as long as all functions are easily useable. The touch screen on the S is super user friendly and all daily functions are easily useable. The lots of buttons also makes it so all functions are easily reachable and useable... I would call them equivalent in actual usage.

In terms of seating comfort, the new nappa seats are better than the nappa in BMW 5, but not as good as the luxury seats on a BMW 7. Lexus seats from GS up are better than any of these however... Rear seating is an issue if the person is tall with long legs since the seats are kind of low... however that's not really much of an issue in the US since mostly rear seats are for kids. But I definitely agree that's an issue. However the seats look pretty good, and you definitely can easily fit 3 adults in there due to the lack of transmission tunnel.

In terms of actual tech, like how nice the Nav looks and works, etc, Model S clearly exceeds (as long as you turn off the stupid beta in the nav) those in BMW and Porsche.

I would rate Model S and Audi 7 equally beautiful on the outside. The car definitely looks, feels, and drives expensive and oozes quality. And almost all Model S owners agree with me, which is why they almost all like their cars. Many of them owned and still own BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, etc, so it's not like they hadn't/haven't seen or experienced quality.

I definitely disagree on the interior quality and fell. It's nowhere near as luxurious feeling than a 5 series. It's very plain and simple on the interior. It's really just that big screen, nothing else. Some like it others don't but we definitely didn't feel like in an expensive cabin when we tested it.

Verde Mantis Green M3 F80 Manual
-
Motor Journalist from Germany and BMW Genius
Appreciate 0