BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

09-12-2015, 05:09 PM   #23
YoungOG08
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540XI

Guys they ain't getting these to chase crooks!!! Is to give out tickets!!! ???
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 05:25 PM   #24
gvega702
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 325i Premium | Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31
It's not THAT silly. The i3 is pretty quick off the line and up to 60mph.

All I can say I test drove the I3 months ago, and was absolutely amazed. Off the line, u turns, and stopping were unbelievable. Just test drive one your opinion will change.

It's a different animal that's for sure, but I'm not interested even if it were a Tesla.
I agree! I drove the i3 at CES last year along with the M3, M4, and M235i and found that it was able to hold its own for driving enjoying even in such good company. It was fun, different and felt very energetic and enjoyable. In the right environment this would be a great car to have I think. It surprised me. Even more so considering what I was driving before and after it.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 06:00 PM   #25
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

I love my i3, I dislike most BMW owners, why do we have to hate on everything? In town the i3 is very quick, I think it would have blown my e46 ZHP 6MT away 0-40. BTW, this i3 is a REx, so if they have to, they can put 1.9gal of gasoline in it and keep working. Or pop by a DCFC for 30 minutes and charge up, I bet they'll have an account with a discounted (free) rate. As for sales, all EV's are suffering from low fuel prices, but the i3 is hanging in there and those that own them seem to really like them. Go take one for a test drive, aluminum frame, carbon fibre body, RWD, instant torque, etc. I don't recal where a I read or heard it but if a car drives well, it will be liked even if it isn't as attractive as it could be, I think they were talking about the VW Bug. Makes sense with the i3, I wasn't sold at first either and it took me nearly a year to pull the trigger, it just kept growing on me. I've always liked hatches/wagons though. Mine is REx too and in 3500 miles I think I've only spent about $50 in fuel, thats just a guess, I bought it in Atlanta and drove it home to Memphis on gas, so more than half of that is from that initial trip. I charge at work for free not that it would really effect my home utility bill much, I think I calculated it would cost about $2.00 with our average utility rate to charge from empty to full, the car is rarely below 50% charge.

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15

Last edited by Imola.ZHP; 09-12-2015 at 06:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 06:19 PM   #26
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

Yikes Imola! You dislike most BMW owners, then you say why so much hate? Some contradictory wording there don't ya think?

It is a forum ya know we're not at your house for a dinner party. I like the I3 cool car, just not my world, BTW.

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 07:12 PM   #27
classyfast
Banned
Rep
Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP
I love my i3, I dislike most BMW owners, why do we have to hate on everything? In town the i3 is very quick, I think it would have blown my e46 ZHP 6MT away 0-40. BTW, this i3 is a REx, so if they have to, they can put 1.9gal of gasoline in it and keep working. Or pop by a DCFC for 30 minutes and charge up, I bet they'll have an account with a discounted (free) rate. As for sales, all EV's are suffering from low fuel prices, but the i3 is hanging in there and those that own them seem to really like them. Go take one for a test drive, aluminum frame, carbon fibre body, RWD, instant torque, etc. I don't recal where a I read or heard it but if a car drives well, it will be liked even if it isn't as attractive as it could be, I think they were talking about the VW Bug. Makes sense with the i3, I wasn't sold at first either and it took me nearly a year to pull the trigger, it just kept growing on me. I've always liked hatches/wagons though. Mine is REx too and in 3500 miles I think I've only spent about $50 in fuel, thats just a guess, I bought it in Atlanta and drove it home to Memphis on gas, so more than half of that is from that initial trip. I charge at work for free not that it would really effect my home utility bill much, I think I calculated it would cost about $2.00 with our average utility rate to charge from empty to full, the car is rarely below 50% charge.
Dislikes BMW owners? Then why are you on this forum? This is for the community of owners....then you go talking smack....lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 07:18 PM   #28
X3paul
Banned
Rep
Drives: E9 CSi, Z4M coup, E65 730d, E4

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbeemer
I pity the cop who has to drive in that thing. I doubt they'll use it to chase anyone but more drive around streets to issue parking citations for a couple hours before recharging.

I once inadvertently pointed and laughed at one of these monstrosities and didn't see the owner was inside. Oh well. I'd do it again.
Best car bmw makes today...will not bother to explain that statment but test one with an open mind, remind yourself its the 21st century and you will see I am right. I drove one for one day and decided there and then i had to have one. I own a 1972 E9 csi coup, a z4 M coup, a 7 ser and recently traded my f25 x3 for a Macan. In 12 m I am moving to another country and the I3 will join the family. Believe me, it will join the others and not disapoint
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 08:08 PM   #29
Fast_Future
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Seems this is where the gathering of closed minded gorillas takes place. Nice to see we haven't quiet yet evolved from crawling on our hands and knees yet. 👍
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 09:29 PM   #30
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEMR View Post
Yikes Imola! You dislike most BMW owners, then you say why so much hate? Some contradictory wording there don't ya think?

It is a forum ya know we're not at your house for a dinner party. I like the I3 cool car, just not my world, BTW.
Did you read the words following that statement? They are there on purpose, to explain the statement. What seems like a vast majority (hopefully just on forums, not in real life) of BMW owners just want to sit around and talk about how great their car is and how terrible every other BMW is. It gets really old, its generation after generation too. e46 owners disliked e9x cars, e9x cars disliked f3x cars, same for 5er, M cars, everything. Oh face-lifts too, e9x pre-LCI hates e9x LCI, same with f3x, really, did you think that you were going to buy a car and that BMW would never improve upon the car you bought? People really need to get over themselves and just be happy in life. We're all driving great cars, we are all winners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
Dislikes BMW owners? Then why are you on this forum? This is for the community of owners....then you go talking smack....lol.
Thanks for the tip March of 2015 join date member, I guess I've been doing it wrong for over 9 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceR View Post
Seems this is where the gathering of closed minded gorillas takes place. Nice to see we haven't quiet yet evolved from crawling on our hands and knees yet. 👍
It is awful indeed, only on a BMW forum would people have such disdain and hatred towards a free car that creates no pollution to take the place of one vehicle that would have just the opposite traits. Like the way it looks or not, have some respect for it and the people that drive them, if anyone jumped on an M3 or M4 forum and used the remarks used here there would be 10 million responses, possibly death threats, etc towards whomever posted such comments. If you don't like something, just move on, no need to bash it just to stroke your own ego about what vehicle you drive. Again, we're all BMW owners, we're all winners!

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 10:26 PM   #31
ehg
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i Sportline

Yeah those i3's are sweet for darting around town... I drive my Dad's REX whenever I get a chance. He absolutely loves the car and how it drives and he came from a 550i M Sport... That being said, he just ordered a 911 4S Targa with a Manual tranny so I guess he'll have that around when he needs some real driving pleasure... But no point to hate on these cars. i enjoy driving it more than my grandfather's tesla. Sure, the Tesla is a hell of a lot more quick, but the i3 is so much more comfortable and for the Tesla money I'll take an M5....
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 06:03 AM   #32
Pentium
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Why not? LAPD has a couple of Chevrolet Spark people
      09-13-2015, 07:07 AM   #33
E90M3JETS
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz5150
Wait wait wait........BMW can't sell them, so lets give them to the police?!?!
Awwww, that would make all the environmentalist out in Cali feel warm & fuzzy inside.
#petrolenginesmatter
Lol. My dealer has 48 i3s and 8 i8s in stock and 12 of them are 2014 model year

The GM of the dealership say they are the worst performing lineup he has seen in a long time. He said it is even worse than the 5 series GT, 3 series GT and X4. Pretty sad for BMW.

I wouldn't be surprised if BMW pulls the plug and kill the i3 stateside next year.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 08:20 AM   #34
The long haul
Hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: Maserati Ghibli, E92m, FTR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5 FOR View Post
Has Sandra Bullock and Sylvestor Stallone started working for the LAPD?
Excellent movie reference!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 10:19 AM   #35
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3JETS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz5150
Wait wait wait........BMW can't sell them, so lets give them to the police?!?!
Awwww, that would make all the environmentalist out in Cali feel warm & fuzzy inside.
#petrolenginesmatter

The GM of the dealership say they are the worst performing lineup he has seen in a long time. He said it is even worse than the 5 series GT, 3 series GT and X4. Pretty sad for BMW.

I wouldn't be surprised if BMW pulls the plug and kill the i3 stateside next year.
I think it may be a regional thing. They seem to do ok around here and even better the closer you get to Chicago. The incentives have even curbed. And i8's go as fast as they get them.

Heck theirs two i3's on my block alone!

I can see where certain areas may get little to no action especially it being electric.

From sales numbers from what I have been reading they have increased and have been doing pretty well, it's the 3rd highest selling EV in the country from what I hear. Which I know isn't crazy numbers but healthy.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 04:50 PM   #36
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3JETS View Post

My local dealer has a bunch running around as loaner cars.
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 08:21 PM   #37
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

It's an entirely new product, it's going to take time to evolve. Soon BMW will morph it into something that I think may be less polarizing and may have a more mass appeal but you never know.

I think there here to stay however.

More "I" products will fill the pipeline and the i3 will not be in the spot light so much and it will just be another option, it will have had a facelift by that time and will be interesting if they keep the styling to be as love it or hate it as so many seem to feel.

Now if you want to look at a design that will make you puke a little in your mouth check out the new Prius design!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 08:24 PM   #38
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Close up of the crazy morphing surface
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 08:25 PM   #39
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Side
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 09:42 PM   #40
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
The Prius looks like it was intentionally designed to resemble a partially used rectal suppository. The newest model proudly follows that trend.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 10:26 PM   #41
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

EV's suffer from reduced range in colder climates, your local dealer should not have taken so many of them on, the market in the north is different than in the south and markets vary depending on state incentives too. BMW will not pull the plug, you are aware of the credits they get from the US government, right? Not to mention that every BEV i3 they produce brings up their average MPG across their lineup allowing them to sell more M cars.

----

They made the Prius look the way they did in hopes to sell more Hydrogen Fuel Cell Toyota Mirai's, the two cars look nearly identical, almost like the same car but with two different engine options. I don't know why they did this but outside of California I think it will hurt the Prei's sales, I wouldn't be caught dead in it, but I wouldn't be caught dead in any Prius.

----

No one is forced to like the i3, like no one is forced to like anything, but to spout off how awful it is without knowing what you are really talking about only makes you look like a fool to those that are actually in the know. The i3 is selling fine despite some dealers with large inventories, in the 4 months I've owned mine the i3 FB group has doubled in member size. Low fuel prices are hurting all EV sales, but those that are on the edge of deciding should go take one for a drive, it is like nothing else out there. You would be surprised how many new owners previously owned M3's and 335i's. Once you drive it, it just grows on you.

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 08:53 AM   #42
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP
Quote:

EV's suffer from reduced range in colder climates, your local dealer should not have taken so many of them on, the market in the north is different than in the south and markets vary depending on state incentives too. BMW will not pull the plug, you are aware of the credits they get from the US government, right? Not to mention that every BEV i3 they produce brings up their average MPG across their lineup allowing them to sell more M cars.

----

They made the Prius look the way they did in hopes to sell more Hydrogen Fuel Cell Toyota Mirai's, the two cars look nearly identical, almost like the same car but with two different engine options. I don't know why they did this but outside of California I think it will hurt the Prei's sales, I wouldn't be caught dead in it, but I wouldn't be caught dead in any Prius.

----

No one is forced to like the i3, like no one is forced to like anything, but to spout off how awful it is without knowing what you are really talking about only makes you look like a fool to those that are actually in the know. The i3 is selling fine despite some dealers with large inventories, in the 4 months I've owned mine the i3 FB group has doubled in member size. Low fuel prices are hurting all EV sales, but those that are on the edge of deciding should go take one for a drive, it is like nothing else out there. You would be surprised how many new owners previously owned M3's and 335i's. Once you drive it, it just grows on you.
Well said my friend!

I owned a 135is and a z4 and enjoyed them greatly but I equally like the i3 for different reasons. Traded the 1er for the i3 and have no regrets.

Heck with all the incentives the car only costed me the same as a well optioned out Mini Cooper! With dealer incentives and state and government incentives the price was like 17.5k off msrp of 52k. Not including the trade difference witch knocked off a few grand on top of that.

Yea I know about that nasty blue concept Toyota did for the hydrogen fuel cell and the car looked as if it ate another car and was trying to poop it out its rear!

Thing is heinous. They should have not chosen that design to make their other EV's follow.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 12:08 PM   #43
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3paul View Post
Best car bmw makes today...will not bother to explain that statment but test one with an open mind, remind yourself its the 21st century and you will see I am right.
I will do you one better than test driving - I own an i3, and can tell you conclusively that it is NOT the best car BMW makes today.

It serves its purpose well (upscale econobox commuter), but really is not BEST at anything (see i8 and M3 if you need further elaboration).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
I love my i3 [...] In town the i3 is very quick, I think it would have blown my e46 ZHP 6MT away 0-40. [...] I don't recal where a I read or heard it but if a car drives well, it will be liked even if it isn't as attractive as it could be ...
Unfortunately, most of us exceed 40mph in our daily commute, which is where the i3 comes short in handling, stability, acceleration, and economy. Mind you, it's still usable, just not all that enjoyable at highway speeds.

Quote:

The GM of the dealership say they are the worst performing lineup he has seen in a long time.
Sorry, your dealership is run by morons.

There is no other logical explanation as to why they would have 48 models of the same car (i3) in inventory for any other reason. Especially, if many of them are last year's models that haven't moved.

a
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 12:19 PM   #44
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz5150 View Post
My local dealer has a bunch running around as loaner cars.
Why thumbs down?

My local dealer has a few i3's as loaners as well, which is how I got acquainted with one while my M3 was in for service.
i3 is no M3 in handling or acceleration departments, but it is a cheap-to-operate commuter car, that gets more attention from strangers than my M3.

I got the i3 precisely because I had it for a few days as a loaner, and figured out that it deserves a spot in the garage (replacing MCS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3JETS
From sales numbers from what I have been reading they have increased and have been doing pretty well, it's the 3rd highest selling EV in the country from what I hear. Which I know isn't crazy numbers but healthy.
4th best selling EV in the US market:
http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

US is roughly 50% of the global EV market.

And, reportedly, BMW makes money on each unit sold, which guarantees that they will keep cranking them out for the force-able future.

a
Appreciate 0