11-19-2015, 09:31 PM   #24
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofrequency
I understand this car and the reason for it's existence. if you open your mind to the possibility that most people commute less than 80 miles daily (work, shopping, etc.) then why not have this in your garage and an M3/4/5/6 as your weekend plaything? The carbon fibre technology in the i3 is light years ahead of its time and has set the stage for the next generation of M cars. Please allow me to be clear, if you had stated that I would be an advocate for a vehicle like the i3 5 years ago, I would have doused you in gasoline and provided an incendiary device to you free of charge. What changed my mind? Realizing that I have an LX570 sitting in the driveway, and several Landcruisers preceding that and understanding that I require the utility of a large SUV, perhaps once a year, forced me to pause. Additionally, an i3 pulled up next to me in traffic yesterday, and I (again) was impressed with the fit, finish and dare I say, size of the vehicle? I took a second glance at the coiffed mature blond female at the wheel and realized that she was driving solo, much like the rest of us in the traffic that day. Why did any of us need a 6000lb+ SUV to get us to our destination? OK, simmer down, like the rest of you on this board, I drive what I want, not what I need, but it started to make sense to me. Having returned from Rome several days earlier and witnessing the absolute engineering ecstasy of small European cars must have weakened my resolve you say, but no, not at all. Believe me when I say to you that I live in peril, as do you (I know Mr/Mrs OCD BMW Owner), of the the soccer mom/football dad in the F150 EcoBoost (Supercharged for those of you in San Francisco) quad cab barreling into a 5 lane intersection while sending a group text to their 4 children about dinner plans involving Domino's Pizza/Pizza Hut delivery "tipping instructions". At this point I would rather be in my LX570, anticipating the collision would be scary, but the i3 and my LX570 have similar NHSTA safety ratings, so WTF? The most brilliant idea with respect to the i3 is the carbon fiber "tub", much like an F1 car it is almost impenetrable, so I'll take one, immediately. I intend to partake in BMW's electric future, I won't decry their move in this direction, as I understand that they will always provide access to their avant grade design (i8) no matter what powers their cars.
Not to mention if your dealer provides the mobility service, you can borrow an X5 when you need to or go on large trips .

My dealer gives me the loaded 5 series and new X5 for my Michigan trips when I need them and all I pay for is the Gas. That made the i3 purchase an even easier sell.

Excited to see what new i vehicle will look like coming down the pipeline!
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2015, 09:46 PM   #25
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300zhp View Post
True. If BMW gave me one of these, I would have to first slap it (because it is so ugly) and then give it back (because I would rather walk than drive this thing.
Seriously?

I sold my ZHP to buy one. You really should go drive one before blasting it for no good reason. WTF?

You and others talking smack here would be very surprised how many M3, ZHP and other top notch BMW owners sold their top notch cars and bought i3's.
Totally! I had a Z4 which I sold for the 135is which I had for a year and a half and when i saw the I3 and test drove one I immediately ordered one and traded in the 135. I Have no regrets.

I have a couple fun cars in the garage for when I need to burn fumes but this was just to cool to pass up.

The interior is just bad ass and now every car I've sat in feels old in comparison. It feels like driving a concept car. Lots of fun and very quick!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 09:53 PM   #26
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Don't hate on the i3 b/c of quirky looks. Its performance would surprise most people. It drives like a BMW and the CF tech is the future of how all BMWs will be made. Whats not to like? The quirky looks? Like most BMWs these days, they look better in person than in pictures for some reason. I don't know how to explain it but just go drive one before you bash it. I too used to mock the looks but I took a 3 day test drive and took one home.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 12:01 AM   #27
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekcs View Post
"sport tuned suspension". interesting.
That's by far the coolest thing about this new limited edition.
The black exterior looks cool, but will be impossible to keep clean. The rest of the color choices are cute, but superficial.

The fact that BMW recognized the need for Sports package for the i3 is a sign of good things (optional Sports pack) to come on regular i3's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Viper View Post
Was at a dealer today that had a M4 and I3 next to each other. Would blow my mind if a large amount of M3/4 buyers were rushing to trade them in for it. Totally different genres.
That's true.
i3 is no substitute for an ///M car. Any ///M car.
Not even close. In any way, shape, or form.

But it work really well as a low-cost commuter car (do the #s, net of gasoline cost savings).

And true fact - the ratio of women doing double take, and coming over to chat about the i3 vs M3 is roughly 100:1.

Draw your own conclusions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofrequency View Post
if you open your mind to the possibility that most people commute less than 80 miles daily (work, shopping, etc.) then why not have this in your garage and an M3/4/5/6 as your weekend plaything?
Amen to that, brother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Not to mention if your dealer provides the mobility service, you can borrow an X5 when you need to or go on large trips .

My dealer gives me the loaded 5 series and new X5 for my Michigan trips when I need them and all I pay for is the Gas. That made the i3 purchase an even easier sell.
Unfortunately, something like 5% of US dealers subscribe to the mobility program, so relying on it is far from a safe bet.

a
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 01:17 AM   #28
GeorgeJ.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i3 rex

This thread about the limited edition i3 seems to be largely focused on weaknesses and aesthetics of the i3 in general and to a lesser degree a so so reception of the "Shadow Sport".

To me the i3 has some good angles and some more funky angles from the outside. That being said as a package it is pretty exceptional. The i3 is inches longer than a Mini and has the interior and utility of a three series. Seating is a tad above typical cars and provides a great vantage for efficiently engaging in the commuter race yet the exceptionally low CG makes for a nimble machine.

I had been a huge naysayer of electric cars... . . . . yet when I began reading about the technology and particulars of the i3 I became intrigued. After four decades of driving small BMW's with manual gearbox I made the quantum shift to an i3. The Dinan tuned 135i I traded for the i3 had been my favorite day to day car to that point after three 2002's and a dozen three series (see signature list). After five thousand (mostly city) miles in the i3 I tend to think it is about the quickest most efficient city car I have driven. I still have a vintage Porsche to drive on fun weekends a fifties Alfa to race in vintage races so I have a few outlets for traditional car fun. That said I am not going back for my daily car.

The shadow sport looks cool(er) in all black and has some other nice touches. That said I could not go for a BEV and living in San Francisco with all the potholes and road work the sport suspension does not sound like a plus for me. I am happy that I will have some additional options and colors for my next car though this edition is just a near miss for my needs. The biggest improvement for me would be to eliminate friction brakes and have four wheel motors for power/braking/regen.

I will continue to enjoy my i3 rex until I trade it for the new (all one color) rex with improved range and lower weight. That's it, don't mess it up!
1975 2002 Inka/blk, 1975 2002 Red/blk (lthr) (owned '77-'79), 1976 2002 blue/tan (lthr) (owned '80-'81), 1979 M1 Orange/blk (owned '82-'84), 1980 320iS Silver/blk, 1984 323i Drk blue/cream(European) E30, 1996 M3 White/blk E36, 1998 328i Silver/blk E46, 2002 330i Silver/blk E46, 2006 330i Silver/blk E90, 2008 335iSilver/blk E90, 2012 135i SGM/blk E82 (all with manual gearboxes), 2014 i3 rex Arravani Grey/terra

Last edited by GeorgeJ.; 11-20-2015 at 01:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 02:12 AM   #29
ekbusdriver
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
Wow

Entirely new (low) level for BMW owners.

I can't even...
Seriously? Maybe go look and one and think about what it is suited for.

I would drive it LONG before an X6, and especially before any series of the fugly Grand Turismo cars. That style of car is the worst idea since the Ford Pinto.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 04:27 AM   #30
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
So much hate.

I think it's great. This shows BMWs commitment to the i brand. Maybe next we will see a sport version of the i8. I'm sure everyone would love that.
      11-20-2015, 09:14 AM   #31
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev

Quote:

Unfortunately, something like 5% of US dealers subscribe to the mobility program, so relying on it is far from a safe bet.

a
Hey afafeev yea that's very very true.
My dealer assured me that even without the program they would take care of me when I need their help. So not to worry.

Hey customer service like that is what keeps me coming back! .

If that is an option that would make or break a sale talk to your dealer first. May be able to work out a deal even if they don't offer the program. You never know.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 10:58 AM   #32
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Viper View Post
I would be one of those very surprised. Was at a dealer today that had a M4 and I3 next to each other. Would blow my mind if a large amount of M3/4 buyers were rushing to trade them in for it. Totally different genres.

And those door panels.
I never said m4, and unfortunately the BMW i3 FB group is private, or else I would post you a link to a discussion about "What did you drive before you bought your i3?" Tons of M owners, few ZHP owners, lots of e46 and e90 owners, 335i's, few Z4's, lots of 535i's, few Audi S5 owners, one that traded a late model 911 and walked away with cash, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuibmw View Post
M3
post bro, keep trolling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyD View Post
You laugh, but I did. The i3 is not the performance car that the m3 is obviously, but it fit my needs better. Honestly, go drive one and tell me it's not fun. So much usable power at low to medium speeds.

I much prefer the i3 as my daily driver and if I wanted a weekend/fun car, I'd grab something a little more sporty (I've got my eyes on a GT4...).
Its crazy fun! I've been hooked since my first drive, I waited until year model 2 for them to work out all of the bugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Won't it go shorter distance because of he moon roof? Well at least you won't feel claustrophobic when you're thumbing a ride.
That is the dumbest thing I've ever read, ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iUSN View Post
Agree. Drive one then decide
Thanks for the backup, looks like you might have come from a 135i?

Quote:
Totally! I had a Z4 which I sold for the 135is which I had for a year and a half and when i saw the I3 and test drove one I immediately ordered one and traded in the 135. I Have no regrets.

I have a couple fun cars in the garage for when I need to burn fumes but this was just to cool to pass up.

The interior is just bad ass and now every car I've sat in feels old in comparison. It feels like driving a concept car. Lots of fun and very quick!
Thanks for the backup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
Don't hate on the i3 b/c of quirky looks. Its performance would surprise most people. It drives like a BMW and the CF tech is the future of how all BMWs will be made. Whats not to like? The quirky looks? Like most BMWs these days, they look better in person than in pictures for some reason. I don't know how to explain it but just go drive one before you bash it. I too used to mock the looks but I took a 3 day test drive and took one home.
Exactly! How can so much hate exist for an all aluminum frame car with CFRP body? 0-30 in the car is NUTS and it restricted by software because some have broken motor mounts from the insane (and instant) torque!

Its also rear engine and rear wheel drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbusdriver View Post
Seriously? Maybe go look and one and think about what it is suited for.

I would drive it LONG before an X6, and especially before any series of the fugly Grand Turismo cars. That style of car is the worst idea since the Ford Pinto.
Look at one? Is that what you meant to say? Check the sig, I look at one everyday, I own one! I got the REx but after 6 months of ownership realize I didn't even need it, could have save some cash, and weight.

The looks are subjective and I prefer darker colors, I went for Laurel Grey. I've been following the car since concept, through spy shots and I've always like it. It has to have the shape it has because the electric motor (and REx engine if equipped) are over the rear axle. If it were a traditional sedan it would have NO trunk room. This is why it is a hatch. Please, do yourself a favor and take one for a spin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeineken View Post
So much hate.

I think it's great. This shows BMWs commitment to the i brand. Maybe next we will see a sport version of the i8. I'm sure everyone would love that.
Look at the new 7er, it has CFRP in it, all the lessons learned from the i3 are going to trickle down into the entire lineup, why are people so upset about a car that goes like crazy, weighs nearly nothing and doesn't create any pollution? I don't get it. Look for an i8 spyder coming out along the facelifted i8 and facelift i3 in late 2016 as MY2017's. i3 will get a bump in range too, perhaps the i8 will get a bump in AER as well. I technically leased my i3 (its the best way to buy one) and I hope I can keep from getting on the ultimate leasing machine schedule and keep it instead of trade for a 2017, but if the numbers are right I might trade for a BEV (I have a REx now) 2017 facelift i3.

----

On Topic:

Everything on this shadow sport edition should become standard options the following model year (sunroof mainly) I hope they offer anthracite headliner as well. This special edition doesn't make sense to me but I still think it is newsworthy, there were only 50 offered and they sold out! The packaging doesn't make sense to me, they don't allow any options, and it has all season tires. The optional 20's have summer tires on them, shouldn't that be on a "sport" edition?

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 11:05 AM   #33
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP
Quote:
True. If BMW gave me one of these, I would have to first slap it (because it is so ugly) and then give it back (because I would rather walk than drive this thing.
Seriously?

I sold my ZHP to buy one. You really should go drive one before blasting it for no good reason. WTF?

You and others talking smack here would be very surprised how many M3, ZHP and other top notch BMW owners sold their top notch cars and bought i3's.
I must say that I am surprised that you sold your ZHP to get one. I remember you from my ZHP days and that is still one of my top 5 most favorite BMW's ever despite having owned 2 dozen BMW's. Having said that, I find the i3 to be quite the turn-off. I am glad that you like it and are satisfied with your purchase.
      11-20-2015, 11:07 AM   #34
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Here are a few pics of mine with what I think are tasteful mods. The 3rd pic is of one lowered, if I don't get suckered into getting a facelift 2017 i3 I plan to lower my 2015 with this same kit.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 11:09 AM   #35
spellbmw
Feuertrunken
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY10 135i 6MT

Out of curiosity, I took one on a test drive when they first came out: I was amazed at how much fun it was. However, I tend to drive a lot, so the limited range on the I three would not work for me. The M2 is what I'm looking out for MY 2018 with ED in September 2017.
      11-20-2015, 11:14 AM   #36
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I must say that I am surprised that you sold your ZHP to get one. I remember you from my ZHP days and that is still one of my top 5 most favorite BMW's ever despite having owned 2 dozen BMW's. Having said that, I find the i3 to be quite the turn-off. I am glad that you like it and are satisfied with your purchase.
I owned my ZHP for almost 9 years, longer than any other car I've every owned, or house, significant other, etc. There are aspects of it that I miss but I would do it again in a heartbeat. Its still too early to proclaim the i3 as trumping the ZHP, but seriously, again, aluminum frame, CFRP body, crazy lightweight, rear motor, rear wheel drive, 0-30 is nuts. Even though I got a REx, maintenance should be insanely low, the car uses the electric motor to brake, I hardly ever use the brakes, they should last 200k+ or the disc's will warp first but they never got hot so that might not even happen. Electric is the future!

Nothing can replace a test drive though, go drive one!

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 11:57 AM   #37
tmdals0213
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-Sport

all those swirl marks
      11-20-2015, 12:05 PM   #38
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c-
Quote:
I understand this car and the reason for it's existence. if you open your mind to the possibility that most people commute less than 80 miles daily (work, shopping, etc.) then why not have this in your garage and an M3/4/5/6 as your weekend plaything? The carbon fibre technology in the i3 is light years ahead of its time and has set the stage for the next generation of M cars. Please allow me to be clear, if you had stated that I would be an advocate for a vehicle like the i3 5 years ago, I would have doused you in gasoline and provided an incendiary device to you free of charge. What changed my mind? Realizing that I have an LX570 sitting in the driveway, and several Landcruisers preceding that and understanding that I require the utility of a large SUV, perhaps once a year, forced me to pause. Additionally, an i3 pulled up next to me in traffic yesterday, and I (again) was impressed with the fit, finish and dare I say, size of the vehicle? I took a second glance at the coiffed mature blond female at the wheel and realized that she was driving solo, much like the rest of us in the traffic that day. Why did any of us need a 6000lb+ SUV to get us to our destination? OK, simmer down, like the rest of you on this board, I drive what I want, not what I need, but it started to make sense to me. Having returned from Rome several days earlier and witnessing the absolute engineering ecstasy of small European cars must have weakened my resolve you say, but no, not at all. Believe me when I say to you that I live in peril, as do you (I know Mr/Mrs OCD BMW Owner), of the the soccer mom/football dad in the F150 EcoBoost (Supercharged for those of you in San Francisco) quad cab barreling into a 5 lane intersection while sending a group text to their 4 children about dinner plans involving Domino's Pizza/Pizza Hut delivery "tipping instructions". At this point I would rather be in my LX570, anticipating the collision would be scary, but the i3 and my LX570 have similar NHSTA safety ratings, so WTF? The most brilliant idea with respect to the i3 is the carbon fiber "tub", much like an F1 car it is almost impenetrable, so I'll take one, immediately. I intend to partake in BMW's electric future, I won't decry their move in this direction, as I understand that they will always provide access to their avant grade design (i8) no matter what powers their cars.

Please tell me more about the mobility service. I am not aware of this benefit. How can I find out if my local dealer offers this program. I am contemplating an x6, but would stick with a car if I could rent an x5 whenever I needed.
      11-20-2015, 12:26 PM   #39
ekbusdriver
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

ok. i am throughly confused. moving along now.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 12:39 PM   #40
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300zhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c-
Quote:

Please tell me more about the mobility service. I am not aware of this benefit. How can I find out if my local dealer offers this program. I am contemplating an x6, but would stick with a car if I could rent an x5 whenever I needed.
Here you go!

http://evobsession.com/bmw-flexible-...gets-upgraded/
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 02:21 PM   #41
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

"The Ultimate Driving Machine" LOLL
      11-20-2015, 04:52 PM   #42
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilstave View Post
like putting lipstick on a pig
Yep. It's ugly. No matter how much makeup and perfume you put on it, it's ugly.

U-G-L-Y, BMW should have let it die. It's ugly! It's ugly!
Actually it's fugly.

Oh, and BMW got that mobility program from Fiat.
I have a Fiat 500e and they offer free rentals so you can go on weekend trips.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 05:55 PM   #43
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilstave View Post
like putting lipstick on a pig
Yep. It's ugly. No matter how much makeup and perfume you put on it, it's ugly.

U-G-L-Y, BMW should have let it die. It's ugly! It's ugly!
Actually it's fugly.

Oh, and BMW got that mobility program from Fiat.
I have a Fiat 500e and they offer free rentals so you can go on weekend trips.
Yea the hyperlink I posted stated that but I guess they go a little further. Who the hell cares where they got it from as long as they offer it, cool by me!

Oh and as far as ugly, I remember not to long ago this was all to familiar with when BMW started flame styling and people where wanting to kill the designers ! And all future BMW were destined to be destroyed by this fugly design language.

Now it's embraced. Well to BMW fans anyway, theirs lots of people I know who find the new generation of 3 series and M4 very fugly and one of the worst designed BMW's. as well as the I8 and i3 respectively as their very very busy styling wise. Whether you agree with that or not doesn't matter.

Many people hate change especially progressive design. The i3 and i8 is a design statement and an idea and it got attention. I bet theirs cars you like that I think are fugly (fiat) as design is subjective. Just like people we find attractive not everyone likes particular features another loves.

As an automotive designer myself I celebrate the truth in materials that is the I3, it's what we fight for in design but rarely get to utilize.

But you are entitled to your opinion as we have ours.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 07:12 PM   #44
GeorgeJ.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i3 rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysspl View Post
"The Ultimate Driving Machine" LOLL
No, it is "The Ultimate (City) Driving Machine".

That being said it does just fine out on the twisties or the occasional road trip (especially if one has enabled the rex hold mode).

As for the Fiat loving i3 hater try comparing the interiors of your car and the i3. The Fiat is minuscule inside being cozy up front, cramped in the back, and virtually no cargo space. I have on one occasion taken 6 adults and on another I hauled two full sized bales of hay (I had room to push them all the way in but did not want to trash the interior more than necessary). I love the interior and like the exterior (some angles more than others). The Fiat styling is cool and a total bargain. Still, I would not trade my i3 for cars three times the price.
Attached Images

1975 2002 Inka/blk, 1975 2002 Red/blk (lthr) (owned '77-'79), 1976 2002 blue/tan (lthr) (owned '80-'81), 1979 M1 Orange/blk (owned '82-'84), 1980 320iS Silver/blk, 1984 323i Drk blue/cream(European) E30, 1996 M3 White/blk E36, 1998 328i Silver/blk E46, 2002 330i Silver/blk E46, 2006 330i Silver/blk E90, 2008 335iSilver/blk E90, 2012 135i SGM/blk E82 (all with manual gearboxes), 2014 i3 rex Arravani Grey/terra
Appreciate 1