05-02-2016, 05:08 AM   #23
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceR View Post
Good for you and congrats on waiting for the ugliest car in automotive history.
Model 3 still looks better than the turd box i3.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 05:13 AM   #24
E90M3JETS
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52
Still ugly !
Agree. While the new Tesla 3 has over 500,000 orders this will continue to collect dust in the showrooms. I thought BMW was smarter than this. This design is fugly and won't sell well at not in the US.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 06:05 AM   #25
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
This car is disgusting. I was buying a car last weekend and they were giving it away for 99 per month. My sales person said he got one to commute in and it was the worst purchase of his life.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 06:15 AM   #26
X3paul
Banned
Rep
Drives: E9 CSi, Z4M coup, E65 730d, E4

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedown31
Quote:
Please its such a cliche design, a mish mash of other cars design clearly made for the herds to follow. The carrot to the horse. The common safe bet? At least the i3 is different almost utopian in its design. And of course its why the model 3 (even the 3 name instead of model S or T or X) is a safe common place for the herds and thats why its loved. When picasso first started going cubist i bet the ludites were all "fugly, hideous etc"
The model 3 is a lazily received idea. the i3 forces you to look closely think about the design. Whos got time to think these days???

Mehhh
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2016, 07:48 AM   #27
veylan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Crimson '08 128i

Garage List
2014 BMW i3 BEV  [0.00]
2014 BMW X1  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedown31
Quote:
Please its such a cliche design, a mish mash of other cars design clearly made for the herds to follow. The carrot to the horse. The common safe bet? At least the i3 is different almost utopian in its design. And of course its why the model 3 (even the 3 name instead of model S or T or X) is a safe common place for the herds and thats why its loved. When picasso first started going cubist i bet the ludites were all "fugly, hideous etc"
The model 3 is a lazily received idea. the i3 forces you to look closely think about the design. Whos got time to think these days???

Mehhh
The i3 design slowly grew on me but only in certain colors which is why I went orange. I honestly expected a lot of people to show the same kind of disdain I read on these forums towards the car in person, but instead I can't go a week without being stopped in the parking lot without some enthusiastic person coming up to ask questions, etc.

Despite my own negative feelings towards some aspects of the car, it has been an excellent commuter and daily driver the vast majority of the year. And once you get it off the freeway, it really shines.

The one thing I've noticed though is that people drive very aggressively around it vs. my wife's X1 or, previously, my red 128i (performance exhaust and all). They act like they're expecting you to drive like it's a Prius (drag race you at the stop light just to cut you off because they don't want to be behind you, etc., thinking you'll be doing 40 under the speed limit or something). And weirdly, little old ladies are the worst offenders about this here in Baltimore.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 08:24 AM   #28
arctic330i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35i

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i E90  [8.08]
2013 BMW 335is  [10.00]
I have to agree, the design grew on me as well. Honestly this car fits 95% of my lifestyle. The interior space is fantastic for the size of the car, it's boxy shape allows for tall items and a good bit of stuff. We had the i3 and our X5 for about 6 months and we never used the x5 once for hauling anything more than some groceries after the i3.

I think the range is nowhere near where it needs to be to be competitive, but over the other current options (Leaf, 500e, eGolf) I think it has its place in the market. I pre ordered a Model 3, but that will be some time until it launches and I don't think is so fair to compare the i3 to the Model 3 that is unreleased for easily another year and a half or more. I think the Bolt has a lot going for it, the styling I just can't bring myself to like... But I didn't like the i3 when it launched so time will tell!
      05-02-2016, 08:30 AM   #29
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Chevy Volt > BMW i3 (I've had a Volt since 2012 and had an i3 loaner for a weekend).

Tesla Model X arriving in 3-4 weeks. i3 was definitely NOT a step up from the Volt and the i8 was too impractical for a daily driver...

How come BMW just doesn't get it? I'ld buy an EV from BMW in a heartbeat if they just made something functional and competitive... Why is Tesla running away with this market? As a new Tesla customer I can tell you that most folks are NOT happy with Tesla's customer service. We wait forevever for a delivery with no info and updates until its time to hand over some money. BMW's level of customer service with an upscale EV that had some real function could be a win for them! The range increase on this new i3 is a start...

'cmon BMW! I REALLY wanted to buy an EV from you! Why won't you make something that can actually compete with the Tesla products?
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2016, 08:47 AM   #30
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
They were having a hard time moving left over i3s before this launched, they'll be giving them away free with ///M and 7 series leases now.

I actually really liked the one I had for a loaner. I fully expected to hate it but, it is actually pretty good to drive and the interior space is great.

I just wished they hadn't let whole foods employees style it/pick the materials and gone a little bit more main stream to make it appeal to people who don't need to advertise to the entire world they drive an electric car.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 08:51 AM   #31
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3JETS View Post
Agree. While the new Tesla 3 has over 500,000 orders this will continue to collect dust in the showrooms. I thought BMW was smarter than this. This design is fugly and won't sell well at not in the US.
It is not just about the US.
And this one is on schedule and ready to be sold in the last quarter of the year not four years from now.
      05-02-2016, 09:11 AM   #32
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Larger fuel tank.....you mean, you can actually use the whole tank included?
Same fuel tank you have today, just need to re-code the car to use the existing 2.4 Gallon capacity.
BMW dropped the ball on not increasing the gas tank capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid View Post
All that text and no mention about the range for the REX?
Less than before.
Gas tank is the same, but car's weight has increased, so did the average electricity consumption. Thus the range extracted from the same 2.4 Gallons will be lower.

a
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:28 AM   #33
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3JETS
It is not just about the US.
Agree, but the US does set the EV tone for the rest of the world, courtesy of Tesla's leadership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
And this one is on schedule and ready to be sold in the last quarter of the year not four years from now.
Model 3 is due out in ~16 months, not 4 years from now.

i3 is indeed here today, and ready to be sold.
All that's lacking is customer demand. i3 sales for 1Q are down 78% from a year ago, while the rest of the EV market is up.

The new i3 with bigger batteries is an incremental improvement on the old, but the added weight has minimized range improvement to only 81-->114 miles (+40%). Average mileage is also down to 3.7 miles / KWh.
That really sucks.

So, it's heavier than the old REX, shorter range that the old REX?
Bummer.

a
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:52 AM   #34
veylan
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW i3 BEV  [0.00]
2014 BMW X1  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic330i
I have to agree, the design grew on me as well. Honestly this car fits 95% of my lifestyle. The interior space is fantastic for the size of the car, it's boxy shape allows for tall items and a good bit of stuff. We had the i3 and our X5 for about 6 months and we never used the x5 once for hauling anything more than some groceries after the i3.

I think the range is nowhere near where it needs to be to be competitive, but over the other current options (Leaf, 500e, eGolf) I think it has its place in the market. I pre ordered a Model 3, but that will be some time until it launches and I don't think is so fair to compare the i3 to the Model 3 that is unreleased for easily another year and a half or more. I think the Bolt has a lot going for it, the styling I just can't bring myself to like... But I didn't like the i3 when it launched so time will tell!
+1 for the space. I stuffed 12 bags of mulch into the car. Doing that on my way home each day was enough to tackle my gardening for the week.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 10:31 AM   #35
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by veylan View Post
Quote:
+1 for the space. I stuffed 12 bags of mulch into the car. Doing that on my way home each day was enough to tackle my gardening for the week.
That's funny - I see your 12, and raise you 15 bags of mulch!

I did the same thing about two weeks ago, and with the rear seats folded down, it does become a mini-minivan.

However, the shape does have severe faults that BMW should address:
  • Fix useless rear suicide doors. You can't open them without opening the fronts, and having the front passenger unbuckle the seat belt. In other words, they are useless.
  • Fix lousy aerodynamics that make car unstable and energy thirsty at highway speeds. At 65 mph, I get ~3.7 miles per KWh, same as much heavier model S.
  • Bump the range up north of 200+ miles, without REX.
  • Keep up with Tesla's autopilot features, or leap frog them!

a

Last edited by afadeev; 05-02-2016 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 10:37 AM   #36
veylan
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW i3 BEV  [0.00]
2014 BMW X1  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev
Quote:
Originally Posted by veylan View Post
Quote:
That's funny - I see your 12, and raise you 15 bags of mulch!

I did the same thing about two weeks ago, and with the rear seats folded down, it does become a mini-minivan.

However, the shape does have sever faults that BMW should address:
  • Fix useless rear suicide doors. You can't open them without opening the fronts, and having the front passenger unbuckle the seat belt. In other words, they are useless.
  • Fix lousy aerodynamics that make car unstable and energy thirsty at highway speeds. At 65 mph, I get ~3.7 miles per KWh, same as much heavier model S.
  • Bump the range up north of 200+ miles, without REX.
  • Keep up with Tesla's autopilot features, or leap frog them!

a
Yeah I had the room for the extra few more but my first trip felt so splashy and indirect at the rear I never got the courage to go for more. Glad it went alright. ;-)

And I agree with you on all points. Windy days are especially a ****** at highway speeds. Also that's about what I get on the highway too, which is probably why they limited Eco pro + to 55 mph. Also, snow tires netted me around 3.5 through the winter now matter how efficiently I drove it. I loved how much more tail-happy the car felt being on a square set of tires.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 11:42 AM   #37
discoboy1
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 1M VO/F30 328D

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceR
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoboy1 View Post
Too little too late, I will wait for my model 3....
Your opinion, but in any case it will be the car that changes history....
      05-02-2016, 12:49 PM   #38
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoboy1
Strange and polarizing opinion.
Do you have any data to back-up this claim?
Anything you might want to tell the 500+K folks who have put their $1K down to get inline for the car you are putting down vs. 0.1% of that many who bought an i3 over the past 3 months ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver
I had one for a day, not too exciting but extremely quiet.
I guess you never bothered to stomp on it, because it moves out. Especially the BEV.
I keep stomping on mine, and she barely moves.
I do have a REX, but a loner BEV wasn't much better.

0-60 in 7+ seconds makes this the slowest BMW that I've EVER owned, going back to E30 days!

Still better than Leaf, eGolf, and 500e, but nowhere close to anything wearing Tesla badge.

a
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 01:30 PM   #39
X3paul
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by veylan
Quote:

Love it!! I cant wait to get mine next year when I move. Great advert that could be intead of those dry all alike ones bmw puts out. If they could see the practical real life side of an i3 plus kept the i brand going (a third model should have been on the road by now big mistake from bmw letting it cool down) i bet it would have more customers...despite its price ( I dont think its expensive! carbon fiber new tech etc)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 01:34 PM   #40
X3paul
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoboy1
Anything you might want to tell the 500+K folks who have put their $1K down to get inline for the car you are putting down vs. 0.1% of that many who bought an i3 over the past 3 months ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver
I had one for a day, not too exciting but extremely quiet.
I guess you never bothered to stomp on it, because it moves out. Especially the BEV.

0-60 in 7+ seconds makes this the slowest BMW that I've EVER owned, going back to E30 days!

Still better than Leaf, eGolf, and 500e, but nowhere close to anything wearing Tesla badge.

a
Mate how many millions buy music from miley cirrus and justa wiener? That only proves the herd smell/eat the crap that its fed miles away before anyone else....meeee who puts down 1000$ before even trying it??? (Unless you are getting one to flip it straight away! If you want to make a quick buck like those first i8 buyers I am sure you will find a huge line of idiots ready to part with the $$$
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 03:11 PM   #41
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

It is all about the 0-30/40 in city driving. Not much else compares.

Beyond that grab the M-Car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post

a
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 03:18 PM   #42
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

[/QUOTE]

Mehhh[/QUOTE]

Dude your my hero!

I wish more thought like you. Lol

I will say it's nice having a car not seen everyday, i wonder when the market gets over saturated with model 3's if our cars will still look fresh because their not every other car and not seen everyday.

The i3 and i8 was a design statement and was not the intention to be a safe vanilla design, it was to celebrate an idea and to showcase new technology, the future "I" cars may get watered down and be more mainstream but I think what they did was great.

Remember when BMW started the flame styling and you all know how that went.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 03:31 PM   #43
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3paul View Post
Mate how many millions buy music from miley cirrus and justa wiener?
That only proves the herd smell/eat the crap that its fed miles away before anyone else....meeee who puts down 1000$ before even trying it???
I confess - I did (put money down on Model 3, not Miley/Wiener)!
And I did the same on the M3 - zero regrets so far !

You do have a point - popularity does not imply quality.
More people drink Bud than Franziskaner or Hofbraeu, but it doesn't make it a better beer.

On the other hand, rarity doesn't mean exclusivity or quality, either.
i3 sales are plummeting, but it doesn't make i3 a better car, or a better value. I wish it did.

What makes Model 3 pre-orders of 500K depositors unique is the indication of untapped EV interest in the marketplace that none of the current automakers have managed to tap. Not even Model S (too expensive).
Model 3 may be styled a bit on the conservative side, but its value proposition is outstanding, and impossible for traditional automakers to match (without building their own battery Gigafactories) !

Interesting times, indeed.

a
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 03:59 PM   #44
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3paul View Post
Mate how many millions buy music from miley cirrus and justa wiener?
That only proves the herd smell/eat the crap that its fed miles away before anyone else....meeee who puts down 1000$ before even trying it???
I confess - I did (put money down on Model 3, not Miley/Wiener)!
And I did the same on the M3 - zero regrets so far !

You do have a point - popularity does not imply quality.
More people drink Bud than Franziskaner or Hofbraeu, but it doesn't make it a better beer.

On the other hand, rarity doesn't mean exclusivity or quality, either.
i3 sales are plummeting, but it doesn't make i3 a better car, or a better value. I wish it did.

What makes Model 3 pre-orders of 500K depositors unique is the indication of untapped EV interest in the marketplace that none of the current automakers have managed to tap. Not even Model S (too expensive).
Model 3 may be styled a bit on the conservative side, but its value proposition is outstanding, and impossible for traditional automakers to match (without building their own battery Gigafactories) !

Interesting times, indeed.

a
Appreciate 0