12-02-2018, 01:37 AM   #243
BM dnobagaV
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Notre Dame is a joke. ND shared 3 opponents between Clemson and Ohio State : Pitt, Northwestern and Michigan and beat those 3 teams by a combined 22 points.

Clemson beat Pitt by 32 points and Ohio State beat Michigan and Northwestern by a combined 44 points.

Last time we saw them they were struggling to finish off a 5 win team. And frankly, they shouldn't be awarded for sitting at home eating Cheetos on Dec 1 while all the conference champions we're out there knocking people out.

It should be Bama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State.

If ND wants to be invited to the party, they should play the ACC team (or B1G) with the best record in a conference championship game. Get that piss weak ACC Busch Light schedule out of here!
They also played Syracuse and blew them out. The same 'cuse that nearly upset the Clemson apple cart
They also didn't lose this season. OSU got blown out by Purdue...

Doesn't matter because it's likely going to be Alabama-Clemson. IV
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 01:38 AM   #244
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Yep
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 01:53 AM   #245
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM dnobagaV View Post
They also played Syracuse and blew them out. The same 'cuse that nearly upset the Clemson apple cart
They also didn't lose this season. OSU got blown out by Purdue...
OSU has nothing to complain about, they got crushed by an unranked 6-6 Purdue. Also was a 2 pt conversion away from losing to another unranked 5-7 Maryland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM dnobagaV View Post
Doesn't matter because it's likely going to be Alabama-Clemson.
Exactly.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 02:36 AM   #246
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

I like how Ohio State is held to a different standard than other teams. Wins are never impressive enough, even when directly comparable to Notre Dame's.

Even the committee's bias is nauseating. When asked about Oklahoma, they only talk about how good their offense is... nevermind that playing defense is completely optional on that team that averages giving up 35 a game, or that Ohio State's offense is close 2nd. But when they talk about Ohio State, it's that they sometimes gives up points and big plays, and that's why Ohio State has to have a productive offense. Hypocrites.

Ultimately can anyone with a straight face say that they think Notre Dame will beat Georgia or Oklahoma or Ohio State today? Notre Dame will be blown out against any 2018 power 5 conference champion.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 11:49 AM   #247
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Msport

Georgia is out, Oklahoma is in.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 12:24 PM   #248
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herdalum View Post
Georgia is out, Oklahoma is in.
As a UGA fan that's fair. UGA had its shot last night.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 12:28 PM   #249
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
As a Clemson fan, I’m glad. Georgia looked scary good in defeat, imo...

But I’m not sure it’s fair. When no. 4 plays no.1, no.1 should win, right? And as tough as your Bulldogs played no. 1, I thought they should have stayed at no. 4.
Appreciate 1
SakhirM410783.00
      12-02-2018, 12:56 PM   #250
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Quote:
As a Clemson fan, I'm glad. Georgia looked scary good in defeat, imo...

But I'm not sure it's fair. When no. 4 plays no.1, no.1 should win, right? And as tough as your Bulldogs played no. 1, I thought they should have stayed at no. 4.
IMO the current system is deeply flawed because it's designed to preserve the bowls and keep money flowing to smaller schools*.

The argument for OU is that they beat a ranked Texas which they had previously lost too by only 3 points.

*cupcake games result in million dollar paydays for the smaller schools. These programs need this money to support their athletic programs.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 01:04 PM   #251
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

GA lost twice, which many people seem to discount today. Yes, they played well for most of the day yesterday but they couldn't close. If teams are selected primarily based on a selective eye test and GA got in, then serious consideration would need to be given to leaving ND out, despite going undefeated but playing no tough final conference championship.

I watched part of the OK-TX game yesterday but didn't get a chance to see Ohio State. I think you can debate OK vs. OSU but it certainly isn't ridiculous or unfair to select OK. Putting a 2-loss GA team in over both of them would seem outrageous to me.
      12-02-2018, 01:06 PM   #252
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
IMO the current system is deeply flawed because it's designed to preserve the bowls and keep money flowing to smaller schools*.

The argument for OU is that they beat a ranked Texas which they had previously lost too by only 3 points.

*cupcake games result in million dollar paydays for the smaller schools. These programs need this money to support their athletic programs.
What's amazing is that the Texas team that beat OU was not as good as the team that lost to OU.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3539.50
      12-02-2018, 01:30 PM   #253
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
GA lost twice, which many people seem to discount today. Yes, they played well for most of the day yesterday but they couldn't close. If teams are selected primarily based on a selective eye test and GA got in, then serious consideration would need to be given to leaving ND out, despite going undefeated but playing no tough final conference championship.

I watched part of the OK-TX game yesterday but didn't get a chance to see Ohio State. I think you can debate OK vs. OSU but it certainly isn't ridiculous or unfair to select OK. Putting a 2-loss GA team in over both of them would seem outrageous to me.
By your logic, when the national championship is played, whoever loses should be demoted, because after all, they lost. They shouldn’t be considered no. 2 any longer because they may have one more loss than 3 or 4 or whoever. Number of losses needs to be considered and evaluated, imo, not a knee jerk final argument.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 02:11 PM   #254
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

By your logic, when the national championship is played, whoever loses should be demoted, because after all, they lost. They shouldn't be considered no. 2 any longer because they may have one more loss than 3 or 4 or whoever. Number of losses needs to be considered and evaluated, imo, not a knee jerk final argument.
Not that anyone cares whether they are 2 or 3 if they lose the championship game, but what you describe is not really the same thing. There are 4 teams in a playoff that are deciding who plays for the national championship on the field, not deciding who gets into the playoffs in a conference room. The two teams playing already beat the other 2 teams to earn the right to play in the championship. (Also they wouldn't necessarily have one more loss after losing the championship since the other teams not playing in the championship game lost their playoff games.)

GA lost by 20 points to LSU but still had a chance to get in by beating Bama. They didn't and didn't win their conference. It would be outrageous to put them in the playoffs ahead of either of two one-loss conference champs IMO. Doing so would basically ignore the loss to LSU completely. (When Bama got in last year without winning the SEC they only had one loss, not two.)

I don't have anything against GA. No doubt they are a great team and had a great season and I would be on board with them getting in if they hadn't lost twice.
      12-02-2018, 02:55 PM   #255
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not that anyone cares whether they are 2 or 3 if they lose the championship game, but what you describe is not really the same thing. There are 4 teams in a playoff that are deciding who plays for the national championship on the field, not deciding who gets into the playoffs in a conference room. The two teams playing already beat the other 2 teams to earn the right to play in the championship. (Also they wouldn't necessarily have one more loss after losing the championship since the other teams not playing in the championship game lost their playoff games.)

GA lost by 20 points to LSU but still had a chance to get in by beating Bama. They didn't and didn't win their conference. It would be outrageous to put them in the playoffs ahead of either of two one-loss conference champs IMO. Doing so would basically ignore the loss to LSU completely. (When Bama got in last year without winning the SEC they only had one loss, not two.)

I don't have anything against GA. No doubt they are a great team and had a great season and I would be on board with them getting in if they hadn't lost twice.
I hear ya’, but I still think if they were 4 going in, they should be 4 coming out. I would agree with you if they lost by two touchdowns or something, but they looked like the better team most of the game, imo...

Anyway, you still had a cool bar. We’ll always have Morocco.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410880.50
      12-02-2018, 03:05 PM   #256
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Anyone know when the rest of the bowls are getting announced (for those of us with teams that had immensely disappointing seasons)?
      12-02-2018, 03:57 PM   #257
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Anyone know when the rest of the bowls are getting announced (for those of us with teams that had immensely disappointing seasons)?
Such as the Almostcompletelyirrelevant.com Bowl and the likes?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 04:01 PM   #258
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Such as the Almostcompletelyirrelevant.com Bowl and the likes?
There are 40 bowl games this year - there is no way that they can ALL be relevant.
Appreciate 2
No Boost4019.00
RickFLM410880.50
      12-02-2018, 07:15 PM   #259
Spgm5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Singapore grey 14 m5

Georgia should've been put in. They are head and shoulders better than OU and Ohio State. Statistically top 5 in efficiency in offense and defense. Lost to two at the time top 10 teams. Almost beat number one. Beat them for 59 minutes. OU will know soon enough that they don't deserve to be in top 4 because they aren't one of the best 4 teams in the nation, same goes for ND. The committee simply couldn't face the backlash putting in a 2 loss team all while knowing they are the 3rd best team in the nation. OU lost to a 3 loss Texas team AT HOME, and Ohio state, well you already know. ND is a joke.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 07:27 PM   #260
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spgm5 View Post
Georgia should've been put in. They are head and shoulders better than OU and Ohio State. Statistically top 5 in efficiency in offense and defense. Lost to two at the time top 10 teams. Almost beat number one. Beat them for 59 minutes. OU will know soon enough that they don't deserve to be in top 4 because they aren't one of the best 4 teams in the nation, same goes for ND. The committee simply couldn't face the backlash putting in a 2 loss team all while knowing they are the 3rd best team in the nation. OU lost to a 3 loss Texas team AT HOME, and Ohio state, well you already know. ND is a joke.
Just a minor correction - OU lost to Texas at AT&T Stadium (Cowboy's Stadium) in Arlington, not at home. Also, Texas only had one loss at the time they beat OU.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 08:28 PM   #261
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Didn’t LSU, who beat GA by 20, also lose 3 games this season?
      12-02-2018, 09:09 PM   #262
Spgm5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Didn’t LSU, who beat GA by 20, also lose 3 games this season?
Sure they did. To a now ranked 22 Florida, Bama and Texas A&M in 7OT.

Texas lost to who? Maryland, West Virginia and Oklahoma st.

Really no comparing loses there.

How can you rank one loss Oklahoma over Georgia but rank one loss Ohio state behind Georgia?

It all boils down to the committee being scared of the backlash if a 2 loss Georgia team got it.

The 4best teams in the nation are not in the playoffs. Plain and simple
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 09:25 PM   #263
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

How can you rank one loss Oklahoma over Georgia but rank one loss Ohio state behind Georgia?

It all boils down to the committee being scared of the backlash if a 2 loss Georgia team got it.

You brought up the 3-loss topic about OK and GA did lose to someone who lost 3 games. LSU was shut out by Bama but managed to beat GA by 20. GA needed to win one of the 2 games they lost to have a valid argument. We’ll have to agree to disagree that GA belongs in the top 4.
      12-02-2018, 09:43 PM   #264
Spgm5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You brought up the 3-loss topic about OK and GA did lose to someone who lost 3 games. LSU was shut out by Bama but managed to beat GA by 20. GA needed to win one of the 2 games they lost to have a valid argument. We’ll have to agree to disagree that GA belongs in the top 4.
That's the beauty of this new setup. Gives us an opportunity to have an adult conversatio
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410880.50