Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion

06-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
Hurst525i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 - 525i

Post Leaking Right front Strut-Advice Needed!!

I'm in desperate need of some professional/mechanical advice:

I've recently been diagnosed a leaking strut on the front right side of my 2005 525i. Parts and labor for this procedure are going to run just around 800-900 bucks with a 4wheel alignment. After doing further research and speaking with other mechanics - many of whom question why one strut needs replacement and not the other? I've a bit concerned with the future of this vehicle. If I remember correctly don't you replace struts together? Why would one strut go and not the other? If a vehicle is covered under a dealership CPO would a leaking strut or beginning of a leak be identified during the procedure?

I purchased this vehicle just over a year ago from Sewickley BMW just outside of Pittsburgh PA. Not only did they get top dollar for this vehicle but to make matters worse my CPO just expired at the end of January. Since the purchase of this vehicle I've replaced 3 Continental tires, 2 halo angle eye bulbs, and the Idle Control Valve Assy ($600).

Additional work I've been quoted is to replace all drive belts $185, with the addition of the engine belt tensioner an additional $706.00. My vehicle currently has about 76,000 miles on it. The body of the car is in amazing shape. But I'm at the point to where I'm considering trading it in to possibly upgrade to another vehicle after considering the fact a year later I've thrown about 3grand into the vehicle.

Anyone have any advice on work needed to be done? Would it be worth investing this type of money into a vehicle like this?

Any help or advice is GREATLY appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

It's not surprising that only 1 strut will go and not 2/4 at the same time.

From my understanding, struts should be replaced in 2/4 as this is typically the case. If you replace just the leaking one now, the other may go soon, and it won't be practical to pay twice when you could have had both replaced at once.

I suggest looking for a low-mileage shock setup left over from someone who upgraded to a different suspension setup. Alternatively, there are several aftermarket shocks which have been consistently good, including Koni FSD and Koni Sport (yellow).

Install should run about $300 at a local shop, with another $100-120 alignment. A set of used shocks with ~20k miles use typically run about $200, and a set of aftermarket Konis will be ~$500-600.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
Hurst525i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 - 525i

Thanks Man. Your advice is greatly appreciated

R.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

yup, replace both. Mechanical items fail, its no surprise.