02-18-2020, 03:31 PM   #199
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
I mean we leave the state during July and some in Aug.
Gotcha. We tend to run into a lot of Floridians in the NC mountains in the summer. I've rented several cabins in Lake Lure from FL owners in the past, popular area for the reverse snow birds.
      02-18-2020, 03:54 PM   #200
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreeze View Post
Gotcha. We tend to run into a lot of Floridians in the NC mountains in the summer. I've rented several cabins in Lake Lure from FL owners in the past, popular area for the reverse snow birds.
We make a few trip to Asheville each spring / summer / fall. Last year we managed to coincidentally time it in a way to miss a hurricane warning here in FL.
GERMAN M34176.50
      02-18-2020, 08:00 PM   #201
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
That's where we go - and San Diego .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 09:08 PM   #202
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We'll be heading to San Diego for the month of August this year. Best big city in the USA, hands down.
Appreciate 1
Dang3r12503.00
      02-18-2020, 11:46 PM   #203
svt1998gt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i, 2012 X5 M spor

Garage List
I live in orange county but since that is not an option, consider the dallas fort worth area.

Quite a few companies have moved and are moving there.

Cities to consider, southlake, keller, fort worth, allen, frisco, plano, las colinas.

easy commute to where work takes you and toll roads available if you are in a rush.

it will take some time to get used to the heat, but folks that have moved there consider that an acceptable tradeoff given the cost of living.
Appreciate 2
      02-19-2020, 12:02 AM   #204
LQM5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 750i

California = Hard pass. Yeah I guess living in the wealthiest state, making 7 figures, and sunshine everyday (at least in Palm Springs) sucks.
      02-19-2020, 07:49 AM   #205
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQM5 View Post
California = Hard pass. Yeah I guess living in the wealthiest state, making 7 figures, and sunshine everyday (at least in Palm Springs) sucks.
Let's ignore the extreme homeless problem, the fact that people are leaving the state at a record pace, the egregious COL, parts are always on fire, etc, right? God bless!
Appreciate 1
Sarg33554.50
      02-19-2020, 09:14 AM   #206
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
Quote:
Let's ignore the extreme homeless problem, the fact that people are leaving the state at a record pace, the egregious COL, parts are always on fire, etc, right? God bless!
Quote:
Quote:
What is COL?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 09:29 AM   #207
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
What is COL?
Cost of Living
      02-19-2020, 09:38 AM   #208
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Seems more like the exception rather than the rule. What percentage of the US do you actually think makes 7 figures...?
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410877.50
      02-19-2020, 10:59 AM   #209
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I have family and friends that live in SoCal and NorCal - as long as you make a lot of $ and can choose where you want to live - you're fine

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
PoorLurker1135.00
      02-19-2020, 11:36 AM   #210
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
Seems more like the exception rather than the rule. What percentage of the US do you actually think makes 7 figures...?
Probably most of the population, as long as you count the figures after the decimal.
Conissah1574.50
Red Bread4462.00
bucketfoot1056.00
PoorLurker1135.00
      02-19-2020, 04:54 PM   #211
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
It's literally like the apocalypse around here. This might be my last post, i hear a zombie in the yard.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 05:23 PM   #212
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
It's literally like the apocalypse around here. This might be my last post, i hear a zombie in the yard.
Some people fail to realize that CA is a MASSIVE state. The areas of the state suffering from mass homelessness and the % of homeless vs the population is teeny tiny in comparison. Granted, pretty much EVERYTHING is expensive there, gas, bars, restaurants, car insurance, taxes, you name it. Price you pay to be in the most diverse state in the US in terms of places to go or things to see. It is an absolutely beautiful state with more jaw-dropping scenery than everywhere else in the country, be it the mountains or the coastline.
      02-19-2020, 06:15 PM   #213
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Quote:
We'll be heading to San Diego for the month of August this year. Best big city in the USA, hands down.
Might if I ask what you like about San Diego?

I've spent a few days there and honestly don't get it. I can see the appeal of Oceanside or points north, but the actual city just didn't do it for me, also would be tough to call it a large city. Old town felt fabricated, beaches were limited access and the highways were hell. I saw the Midway, went deep sea fishing and haven't returned. I lived in Laguna Beach at the time, maybe that just wasn't a fair comparison.

So I call it Blandiego. I just enjoy LA much more, seems to have wildly more diversity, better food, better museums, better music venues, better roads and a wee bit of weather variety.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 06:24 PM   #214
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
Quote:
Roughly 300,000 per year. And the percentage of those who do it in consecutive years is much lower.

Cashing out stock options, selling property or inheritance frequently lift people into the category, but those are clearly limited occurrences.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 06:44 AM   #215
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I've spent a few days there and honestly don't get it. I can see the appeal of Oceanside or points north, but the actual city just didn't do it for me, also would be tough to call it a large city. Old town felt fabricated, beaches were limited access and the highways were hell. I saw the Midway, went deep sea fishing and haven't returned. I lived in Laguna Beach at the time, maybe that just wasn't a fair comparison.

So I call it Blandiego. I just enjoy LA much more, seems to have wildly more diversity, better food, better museums, better music venues, better roads and a wee bit of weather variety.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You're either an LA type or an SD type. SD I love to visit - we usually stay in Carlsbad and travel south for fun - but Laguna is also very nice and so are parts of LA. We have friends scattered throughout SD, bankers hill, wind & sea, Del Mar, so it's a different vibe when you're with locals. Having said that I wouldn't want to live there again - I'd live closer to LA. But a sunset on the beach in Carlsbad or surfing grand view is easy going fun.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      02-20-2020, 08:30 AM   #216
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Quote:
Some people fail to realize that CA is a MASSIVE state. The areas of the state suffering from mass homelessness and the % of homeless vs the population is teeny tiny in comparison. Granted, pretty much EVERYTHING is expensive there, gas, bars, restaurants, car insurance, taxes, you name it. Price you pay to be in the most diverse state in the US in terms of places to go or things to see. It is an absolutely beautiful state with more jaw-dropping scenery than everywhere else in the country, be it the mountains or the coastline.
That does not mean it's not a real problem & a big problem.

Let's also not forget their strict emissions bs & their bs gun laws. Stop turning my thread into a thread about CA, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 10:03 AM   #217
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Let's also not forget their strict emissions bs & their bs gun laws. Stop turning my thread into a thread about CA, thanks.
Oh no, you have to have a cat. You know, like the federal law says. And I had my CHL there too. Stop believing everything you hear on tv.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 11:05 AM   #218
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Have you been to St Augustine, FL? They have a massive homeless problem too, but normal folk still get along fine down there. Point being is that it's not a CA unique problem, and again, it's only bad in certain places, places you'd be crazy to move too anyway.

Definitely not turning this into a CA thread either, I also offered lots of info about NC (where I currently live). The thread is about where to move in the US, and I have lots of experience on CA (where I lived before for many years and still visit often), so just sharing those experiences sans the bullshit. The thread probably interests others as well, so there's that. No idea what you are referring to about CA gun laws, it's just an easy to buy/own guns in CA as it is anywhere else in the country, personally know lots of people with lots of guns. CA also has a massive amount of automobiles and insane traffic in the populated areas, so tight smog laws are actually something to be grateful for. I personally would not move back there unless I retired with stupid amounts of money and could live outside the populated areas. There really is some breath-taking country out there.
JasonCSU699.00
      02-20-2020, 01:22 PM   #219
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

The entire area is just really nice, tons of stuff to do, great weather, FAR less traffic then LA, generally a bit warmer beaches, more laid back and chill. Encinitas, Solano, La Jolla, Carlsbad, Gaslamp District, Coronado, all really cool areas. Fantastic/cool mountain towns within close driving distance, tons of great beaches. Great beach vibe pretty much on every beach. Great zoo and the Wild Animal Park is pretty cool too. I have family in Encinitas and Carlsbad, so that's been our home base, then we venture out from there. I also have family in the LA area, the Bay area, and the Humboldt area. I personally grew up in Redondo Beach, my wife was born/raised in the Bay area. I enjoy the SD area the most.
Red Bread4462.00
      02-20-2020, 01:24 PM   #220
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Cool, had a good friend in Redondo, surfed up there plenty. Anything is better than Laguna, Catalina jacks up their waves.
Appreciate 0