Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

07-31-2007, 03:27 AM   #1
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Alcohol and Workout next day?

It sounds dumb but i just need to know the facts. Why does alcohol effect workout the next day? When im in the gym after i've drank the night before i just dont get in the zone.. I finish my sets early and just want to get out of there... Is it just cause alcohol eats up a lot of water in your body?
      07-31-2007, 08:12 AM   #2
phantom330
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

haha, it's because you're dehydrated and just hungover. I always try to hit the gym the next day after a night out just to sweat a little out, but it's never a good workout really. Alcohol is really counter productive to getting a good workout.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 08:39 AM   #3
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito View Post
It sounds dumb but i just need to know the facts. Why does alcohol effect workout the next day? When im in the gym after i've drank the night before i just dont get in the zone.. I finish my sets early and just want to get out of there... Is it just cause alcohol eats up a lot of water in your body?
Actually, I used to party till 3/4 in the morning and hit the gym at 7. Just drink lots of water...

I find going to the gym makes me feel better the rest of the day.
      07-31-2007, 09:04 AM   #4
superman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i silver

If you consume too much alcohol it actually lowers testosterone levels in men for a little while.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 10:39 AM   #5
335i4u2nv
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i e9O sL0w

ya i normally always feel like shit to, even if i only drink a lil. But if i drink alot i cant workout. i go anyway to try and sweat it out.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 02:26 PM   #6
japac1
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i4u2nv View Post
ya i normally always feel like shit to, even if i only drink a lil. But if i drink alot i cant workout. i go anyway to try and sweat it out.
Bad idea, just like you shouldn't "sweat it out" when you have a fever. You're looking to get more dehydrated, more achy, and more likely to ruin your next couple of workouts.
      07-31-2007, 02:40 PM   #7
toofasttooslow
Galactic Emperor
Rep
Drives: Fast

Alcohol depletes a wide range of nutrients, including B vitamins -which are responsible for helping cellular respiration and energy production. Your body uses these nutrient stockpiles to help metabolize the complex sugar structure alcohol has into several more "benign" substances.

Vitamin B-2
Riboflavin (vitamin B2) is crucial in the production of body energy. It is a cofactor for an enzyme called glutathione reductase, which helps maintain glutathione, a major protector against free radical damage. Vitamin B2 itself also has antioxidant qualities. Thus riboflavin is pivotal both in the inner breathing of our cells where energy is produced and also in the quenching of the toxic exhausts of that inner, energy producing cell respiration. Riboflavin is water soluble and so is not stored in significant quantities in the body. It must be replaced continuously through diet or supplementation to avoid deficiency. The most common cause of riboflavin deficiency is an unbalanced diet.

The elderly may be at risk for deficiency due to sub-optimal intake. Riboflavin deficiency is common in alcoholics as well. Those who indulge in a great deal of physical exercise may need extra riboflavin, particularly women.

Riboflavin deficiency mainly affects skin and mucous membranes. Symptoms include cracks in the corners of the mouth, cracks on the lips, reddening of the tongue associated with a burning sensation and eczema of the face and genitals. When there is a deficiency of riboflavin there is usually a lack of the other B vitamins as well.

Vitamin B-3
Vitamin B3, also called niacin, niacinamide, or nicotinic acid, is an essential nutrient required by all humans for the proper metabolism of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins, as well as for the production of hydrochloric acid for digestion. B-3 also supports proper blood circulation, healthy skin, and aids in the functioning of the central nervous system. Niacin also has a role in supporting the higher functions of the brain and cognition. Lastly, adequate levels of B-3 are vital for the proper synthesis of insulin and the sex hormones such as estrogen, testosterone, and progesterone.

Vitamin B-5
The most important function of vitamin B-5 is as an essential component in the production of coenzyme A, a vital catalyst that is required for the conversion of carbohydrates, fats, and protein into energy. Pantothenic acid (vitamin B-5) is also referred to as an anti-stress vitamin due to its vital role in the formation of various adrenal hormones, steroids, and cortisone, as well as contributing to the production of important brain neuro-transmitters such as acetylcholine. In addition to helping to fight depression vitamin B-5 also supports the normal functioning of the gastrointestinal tract and is required for the production of cholesterol, bile, vitamin D, red blood cells, and antibodies.

Vitamin B-6
B-6 is recommended for support of the female cycle and nervous system. It also is important for skin integrity and has a role in metabolizing homocysteine, therefore supports the health of the heart.

Vitamin B-12
Experts agree that the essential nutrient vitamin B-12 supports energy and memory, appetite (when needed) and digestion. It is an absolute must for the maintenance of a healthy nervous system and is considered by many to play an important role as an anti-aging nutrient. Many of the functions of vitamin B-12, such as building blood cells, promoting DNA synthesis, naturally interfering with inflammation and strengthening the immune system are fundamental to a healthy body. Thousands of doctors have given vitamin B-12 to help people cope with stress and exhaustion, to name only a few.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 02:43 PM   #8
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 i5M60 23 X740 23 Vette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post

+1
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #9
thurston
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

I actually have had some really great long runs (10+ miles) the day after drinking hard. I don't know why. I always drink 1L of water every morning first thing though.
      03-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #10
Hurricane
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 C63 507

Garage List
2012 E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito View Post
Alcohol lowers your blood sugar and prevents you from obtaining the appropriate amount of REM sleep. The next day when you wake up you fight two things:

1. Lack of proper sleep
2. Low blood sugar

Both of the above mentioned symptoms are what prevents a good workout. You are tired and weaker as a result of drinking. That's why you quit your sets earlier and have less interest in the workout the next day.

Last edited by Hurricane; 03-18-2012 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 11:52 PM   #11
HK8888
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 M3 Coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post
Actually, I used to party till 3/4 in the morning and hit the gym at 7. Just drink lots of water...

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #12
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

After a night of drinking, i just want to sleep all day...it's hard to go to the gym, if i do, i have half the motivation and my mind is already making excuses to get out of there saying stuff to myself like "oh im too hungover, i don't have to finish this workout, let's just go home, rub one out and sleep again"

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0