BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

03-26-2014, 08:11 AM   #45
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Oh and just to clarify for everyone, almost all Electric and Plug-in hybrid cars have external speakers to make the presence of an electric car known to pedestrians, they have for years. It's just that this is the first BMW to have it since BMW, Tesla, and VW have chosen only to add noise where required by law up to this point. It's usually only on when the car is in electric-only mode.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electri...warning_sounds
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 08:20 AM   #46
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Do most of you guys that complain about the sound live under a rock? Read up a little.

It's so funny to me how people spend so much effort complaining about this artificial sound. How many have actually driven a car with one? I'll wager that if you didn't know about it, you wouldn't even realize some of the sound was artificial. True, maybe people complain about the principle, but I care more about weight saving, steering feel and how expensive these cars have gotten, rather than about something I can't even tell is there. My 2 cents
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #47
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

It's the idea that the car should have fake sound that I just find odd; I understand the safety aspects and the psychological aspects involved but it takes time to get used to the idea, that's all.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 02:33 PM   #48
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

I'm one who actually likes the notion of augmented sound provided by BMW's Active Sound. I agree with ddk632 that the idea does take some getting used to, but as engine sound is one of the appealing features of high end performance cars, I like the fact that BMW enhances that feature on certain cars like the i8. However, I do wish it were a switchable feature that one could turn it off if it's not desired.
BTW, when a women I dated some years ago had a certain physical feature of hers augmented, it took me about 2 seconds to get comfortable with that.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #49
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

So when you take the i8 to the shop for more augmented sound, will it be called a "sound job"?

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 05:08 PM   #50
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

NOTE: This is the official BMW i8 driving shots material.

Here is how this car will most likely sound: (jump to 4:45)

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 05:10 AM   #51
maxxxmagnum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
Oh and just to clarify for everyone, almost all Electric and Plug-in hybrid cars have external speakers to make the presence of an electric car known to pedestrians, they have for years. It's just that this is the first BMW to have it since BMW, Tesla, and VW have chosen only to add noise where required by law up to this point. It's usually only on when the car is in electric-only mode.

What about hearing impaired pedestrians? A tazer with a 300ft range? Or perhaps the driver should spend more time watching the road than his fancy dashboard.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 05:18 AM   #52
maxxxmagnum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
It's the idea that the car should have fake sound that I just find odd; I understand the safety aspects and the psychological aspects involved but it takes time to get used to the idea, that's all.
I think Mozart would also have hard time getting used to idea since he didn't include any of that in his works. I wonder if that sound is turned off while playing music? Or it's so mesmerizing and addictive that you never ever want to listen to anything but that? To me it sounds like motor chainsaw that should go particularly well with Wagner's Valkyries.
Appreciate 0