04-10-2024, 10:31 AM   #45
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMOHT View Post
Supposedly, the efficient driving mode only works at low speeds. I have tried it many times and I got nothing at highway speeds. The efficiency indicator only shows something like below 40 mph or so.
There are only 2 things that mode can really do to make the car more efficient. Limit acceleration (i.e. remapping the throttle pedal, having the assisted driving accelerate less aggressively when going back up to speed) and reduce the output of the climate control (which I would never personally want).

I never use that mode so I don't remember if it does affect the HVAC (I vaguely remember that there is a setting for this but not 100% sure and too lazy to look it up now) but basically this will not yield much improvement on a long highway drive in any case based on the acceleration change since the energy used for accelerations is a tiny fraction of the overall energy used on a long trip. The HVAC side may do something noticeable if it is cold or very hot out, but I wouldn't sacrifice my comfort for the sake of efficiency unless I had no choice.

At low speeds, the throttle remapping will make a noticeable difference, but the extra range figure it calculates it likely BS. It probably calculates the difference between how much energy it used vs the same throttle press in personal mode would have used... but doesn't account for the fact that you may have went much deeper in the throttle pedal travel to make up for how it was remapped in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 11:19 AM   #46
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
There are only 2 things that mode can really do to make the car more efficient. Limit acceleration (i.e. remapping the throttle pedal, having the assisted driving accelerate less aggressively when going back up to speed) and reduce the output of the climate control (which I would never personally want).

I never use that mode so I don't remember if it does affect the HVAC (I vaguely remember that there is a setting for this but not 100% sure and too lazy to look it up now) but basically this will not yield much improvement on a long highway drive in any case based on the acceleration change since the energy used for accelerations is a tiny fraction of the overall energy used on a long trip. The HVAC side may do something noticeable if it is cold or very hot out, but I wouldn't sacrifice my comfort for the sake of efficiency unless I had no choice.

At low speeds, the throttle remapping will make a noticeable difference, but the extra range figure it calculates it likely BS. It probably calculates the difference between how much energy it used vs the same throttle press in personal mode would have used... but doesn't account for the fact that you may have went much deeper in the throttle pedal travel to make up for how it was remapped in the first place.
In some EVs, the eco mode disengages the rear drive unit making the car more efficient at cruising. Porsche Taycan has two gears versus a single gear in most EVs. This allows it to provide powerful acceleration at low speeds and maximum efficiency at cruising speeds.

It's interesting to see what everyone is doing to make their EVs more efficient. The most efficient EVs are Lucid and Tesla, while the least efficient are likely going to be the pickups like Rivian, Silverado, Hummer EV, etc.

The iX is an amazing car that can match the efficiency of Tesla's much smaller Model Y. Model Y has a rated efficiency of 3.3-3.8 mi/kWh. BMW iX has a rated efficiency of around 3 mi/kWh. Real-world, however, I get 3.3-3.5 mi/kWh on a regular basis in my iX while Model Y gets lower real-world efficiency.
Appreciate 1
LVBMW1468.00
      04-10-2024, 09:17 PM   #47
Kennethjk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: IX 50, Mustang Mach E, BMWX3

I used efficient driving today going to Naples and back from Boca Raton. Seemed to work, accelerated a bit slower than normal.

Round trip was 250 miles and I started at 95%. When I came home the battery was at 17% and said range was about 55 miles give or take.

BMW computer showed about 3.1 or 3.2 mp KW.

All in all I was pretty satisfied that I could easily go 300 miles at 100% with a little left over.

Weather was 80-85 and very windy. Speed limit was 70 most of the way and I went a steady 72 for most of the way. 98% of the trip was highway
Appreciate 1
darylp310972.50
      04-10-2024, 09:39 PM   #48
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
I remember a saying from this forum
having a bmw but not riding it hard
Is like
Having a girlfriend/boyfriend but not sc.....g them hard.
In both cases the next owner will have fun and explore the full potential! ...
The nice thing is you get to choose based on your need. You can have it both ways.

Stomp on it everywhere you go, have fun, still manage to get 200 miles of range (or more, I’ve never seen it that low even in cold and wind).

Cruise on the freeway during a road trip, get 300 miles of range.
Appreciate 1
NomoTesla2265.50
      04-20-2024, 10:38 AM   #49
JSTARR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW IX, BMW X3, Toyota Tacoma

I look at max efficiency range mode as a great tool to have available & practiced for when it is necessary or useful.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 11:39 AM   #50
Tigershark321
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW iX

Garage List
2024 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTARR View Post
I look at max efficiency range mode as a great tool to have available & practiced for when it is necessary or useful.
Just be careful initiating it while on the highway with a car behind you because I had it decelerate very abruptly switching to it as I was driving over its "max" speed area.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 07:48 PM   #51
ssingh1975
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '24 BMW IX, Jeep Gladiator

I take my diesel Jeep and get over 500 miles rain, shine or snow with heated seats on full blast.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 09:03 AM   #52
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssingh1975 View Post
I take my diesel Jeep and get over 500 miles rain, shine or snow with heated seats on full blast.
Yes, but your diesel Jeep pollutes like a mofo. I'd rather get half the range and not destroy the environment, get cancer while filling up and inhaling fumes, and dispense cancer to others through my tailpipe. Those are my choices. We very much live by the mantra of being the change we want to see in the world and not waiting for someone else to do it for us. Every choice we make has an impact on everyone and everything around us.
Appreciate 0