BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

01-16-2015, 03:45 PM   #23
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128Convertibleguy View Post
Arguably the first post was, although not to someone familiar with the general issue. But we went far beyond it, in the whole thing.

I trust the Slate and Forbes articles are clear enough for you?

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...undermine.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsul...ban-marijuana/

And I stand by this:

"Republicans want Federal enforcement of positions they agree with. And to let the States have the right to override Federal positions they disagree with. Having their cake and eating it too comes to mind. (Not that Democrats don't do this sometimes, also. But they're not quite so sanctimonious about State's rights, either.)"

Yes, that's the same Slate article I linked in my post explaining how they stated clearly what the issue was in the first two sentences.

That's all I ask. That someone communicate what the hell it is we're talking about

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 04:03 PM   #24
Dalko43
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail

Garage List
Quote:
Arguably the first post was, although not to someone familiar with the general issue. But we went far beyond it, in the whole thing.

I trust the Slate and Forbes articles are clear enough for you?

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...undermine.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsul...ban-marijuana/

And I stand by this:

"Republicans want Federal enforcement of positions they agree with. And to let the States have the right to override Federal positions they disagree with. Having their cake and eating it too comes to mind. (Not that Democrats don't do this sometimes, also. But they're not quite so sanctimonious about State's rights, either.)"
While I disagree with the notion of one state suing another over marijuana legality, it should be noted that this whole thing is an inter-state issue that needs to be resolved by the federal government.

It is now possible, and in fact the case, that people can cross the border into Colorado to buy marijuana and return to Nebraska or Oklahoma, among other states, where the drug is still illegal, to use and/or sell it.

Question: What happens when there is disagreement or issue between two states that needs to be resolved?

Answer: The federal government intervenes and generates a solution (as per the federalist system that currently exists in the US).
      01-16-2015, 10:25 PM   #25
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalko43 View Post
While I disagree with the notion of one state suing another over marijuana legality, it should be noted that this whole thing is an inter-state issue that needs to be resolved by the federal government.

It is now possible, and in fact the case, that people can cross the border into Colorado to buy marijuana and return to Nebraska or Oklahoma, among other states, where the drug is still illegal, to use and/or sell it.

Question: What happens when there is disagreement or issue between two states that needs to be resolved?

Answer: The federal government intervenes and generates a solution (as per the federalist system that currently exists in the US).
Fine. They're going to do the same thing with gay marriage. Prediction - at the bare minimum, states that do not themselves do gay marriages are going to have to recognize gay marriages from States who do. But I really think gay marriage will win, across the board.

States rights are going to be shrinking. It's a modern interconected world.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 11:30 AM   #26
Dalko43
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail

Garage List
Quote:
States rights are going to be shrinking. It's a modern interconected world.
States' rights still matter here in America, for the same reason that checks and balances matter in the federal government...that's why it's called a Federalist system.