BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

06-15-2016, 03:02 AM   #1
cays
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 Germans

"This is How Corrupt The Political System Is"

Kudos to the 11Alive Investigators (NBC affiliate, Atlanta GA) for this story. I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more buzz nationally.

http://www.11alive.com/news/local/in...sort/130357915

Link fixed, my apologies.

What is ALEC?

"It's really a corporate bill mill," said Sen. Nan Orrock, an Atlanta Democrat who has served in both houses of the Georgia General Assembly for years. "They're cranking out legislation, putting it into the hands of legislators who go back and file it."

Orrock would know. She was once a member of ALEC.

"The corporations that are there have equal standing with the legislators," Sen. Orrock said.

"You mean they can vote?" we asked.

"They absolutely can vote, and truth be told, they write the bills," she answered, referring to the lobbyists.

There really are back rooms where corporate lobbyists have direct access to lawmakers completely out of sight, with no transparency or public filings. They're also wined and dined after hours at these events with nothing recorded on ethics reports.

Last edited by cays; 06-15-2016 at 09:55 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 07:18 AM   #2
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Link no bueno
      06-15-2016, 07:56 AM   #3
SumBMWGuy
Major
Rep
Drives: A German Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cays View Post
... I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more buzz nationally.
It isn't getting national attention because the link is borked.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 08:01 AM   #4
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Link no bueno
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumBMWGuy View Post
It isn't getting national attention because the link is borked.
Beyond that, OP gave us fuckall information about whatever is/was in that link, so we can't even speculate on it.

One of the other politics forums I frequent has a rule against creating threads and just dumping in a link without any attempt to start a dialogue around it. Methinks that would be a good think to implement here.
      06-15-2016, 08:19 AM   #5
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
Kudos to the 11Alive Investigators (NBC affiliate, Atlanta GA) for this story. I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more buzz nationally.

http://www.11alive.com/news/local/in...357915
Vote for ban
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 08:54 AM   #6
insanecoder
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

try this:
http://www.pdamerica.org/about-us/it...georgia-resort

its pretty much corrupt everywhere.. some people say the US was better in the good ole days.. well the good ole days had the good ole boys and everyone knew the politicians could be bought even back "in the day"
its been like this for the longest time.. its how humans who are attracted to power work unfortunately
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2016, 09:17 AM   #7
VRG_135
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Silver 135 DCT

[quote=insanecoder;20106133]try this:

its pretty much corrupt everywhere.. some people say the US was better in the good ole days.. well the good ole days had the good ole boys and everyone knew the politicians could be bought even back "in the day"
its been like this for the longest time.. its how humans who are attracted to power work unfortunately[/QUOTE

This may not be an unbiased story. You can buy "Bernie" gear on the website.
For political information, I would read/watch stories from BBC, AP, CNN for unbiased news.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 05:38 PM   #8
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRG_135 View Post
try this:

its been like this for the longest time.. its how humans who are attracted to power work unfortunately[/QUOTE

This may not be an unbiased story. You can buy "Bernie" gear on the website.
For political information, I would read/watch stories from BBC, AP, CNN for unbiased news.

Last edited by csu87; 06-17-2016 at 12:26 PM.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2016, 09:05 AM   #9
insanecoder
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

BBC, AP, CNN for unbiased news ?

You must be joking..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 09:27 AM   #10
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
I will say that I do watch CNN more because they have people on that are obvious liberals and some are conservatives. Unlike MSNBC who are so far left and Fox News that are so far right. I can't deal with either extreme. CNN constantly has debates with both Clinton and Trump supporters.
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 10:02 AM   #11
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

From what I can find, the only media outlets reporting this (and it happened in May 2015) are far left wing; that's strike 1. Can't find any follow up on the story since then ; that's strike 2. Found this link:

http://www.peachpundit.com/2015/06/0...s-new-heights/

I'm not sure how accurate it is either, but suggests there is a legit story perhaps.

And he makes a good point: this is spun as a right wing conspiracy. ACORN and others do this all the time, much less how the Obamacare bill was crafted behind closed doors with republicans literally locked out of the room. And then the bill was passed without time to read it...
      06-17-2016, 10:28 AM   #12
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Anybody that tries to take a partisan side here is a fool. And trying to blame liberals or conservatives for this type of stuff is another wrong position. This is how all politicians act. I have maintained a long time ago, if it was up to me and only me I would fire every single member of congress. It would be a sweep. In my world there would be no more lobbying from corporations and term limits. And money trails would be documented because even the "new" guys are going to be subject to corruption..just the nature of people and lots of money. But a fresh start at least turns the clock back.
      06-17-2016, 10:45 AM   #13
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens
Anybody that tries to take a partisan side here is a fool. And trying to blame liberals or conservatives for this type of stuff is another wrong position. This is how all politicians act. I have maintained a long time ago, if it was up to me and only me I would fire every single member of congress. It would be a sweep. In my world there would be no more lobbying from corporations and term limits. And money trails would be documented because even the "new" guys are going to be subject to corruption..just the nature of people and lots of money. But a fresh start at least turns the clock back.
+1. It's inexcusable, and can't imagine the FF's would be okay with corporate lobbyists. It benefits all of us for corporations to have a "voice," but it should always be in a public forum.

Not sure if there is an argument to be made against term limits? But Congress will never vote for essentially their own ouster.
      06-23-2016, 10:03 AM   #14
MKSixer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
+1. It's inexcusable, and can't imagine the FF's would be okay with corporate lobbyists. It benefits all of us for corporations to have a "voice," but it should always be in a public forum.

Not sure if there is an argument to be made against term limits? But Congress will never vote for essentially their own ouster.
Guys, most people have no idea what actually goes on. If they knew there would be blood on the streets. Washington has been bought by special interest.

The citizens of this country are being pitted against each other: The Have-Nots are being told that they will be given $ taken from the haves and the Haves are being told that they will be protected from the Have-Nots. Religious, Non-Religious, Black, White, LBGT, Conservative, Liberal, whatever...segregated and pitted against each other.

In this, the politicians are laughing all the way to the bank and we are stuck holding the bill. Their time in congress is being rewarded by cushy lobbying jobs from organizations that they formerly regulated. Pure poison and we sit here having stupid discussions about guns, bathrooms, the ACA, etc. These are only symptoms of the problem. The problems are sitting in DC and everyone needs to be voted out. No incumbents, period. Pure Poison.

@[Nyet. Not Russian Hacker](contact:368080)
Ask me hacker question. Hacker question I get answer.
Appreciate 4
      06-23-2016, 10:09 AM   #15
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
The problems are sitting in DC
This is LITERALLY happening right now. Get off you ass and do your job (which includes COMPROMISE)
Appreciate 2
      06-23-2016, 10:30 PM   #16
cays
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
Beyond that, OP gave us fuckall information about whatever is/was in that link, so we can't even speculate on it.

One of the other politics forums I frequent has a rule against creating threads and just dumping in a link without any attempt to start a dialogue around it. Methinks that would be a good think to implement here.
Just saw this, sorry bud, fuck off.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 07:13 AM   #17
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just saw this, sorry bud, fuck off.
Yet you went back and edited the opening post over a week ago on 6/15/16, (less than 2hrs after I posted, btw) and rather than just fixing the link, you also created some dialogue to go with it. I was the only person to suggest such a thing, so unless your posting habits dramatically changed, methinks you did see it.

Not sure why you felt the need to come back a week later and try to pick a fight though.
      06-24-2016, 11:19 AM   #18
cays
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yet you went back and edited the opening post over a week ago on 6/15/16, (less than 2hrs after I posted, btw) and rather than just fixing the link, you also created some dialogue to go with it. I was the only person to suggest such a thing, so unless your posting habits dramatically changed, methinks you did see it.

Not sure why you felt the need to come back a week later and try to pick a fight though.
My MO is to quote the important part of an article and provide a link which i've done long before you came around to police this forum. But posting from a 5" 1080 device wasn't allowing me to edit as I needed to do so that was that. But congrats, you're my internet b**ch of the day Mr. drivel. That's what you actually meant to name yourself, right?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 11:22 AM   #19
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

The link worked fine for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 12:18 PM   #20
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My MO is to quote the important part of an article and provide a link which i've done long before you came around to police this forum. But posting from a 5" 1080 device wasn't allowing me to edit as I needed to do so that was that. But congrats, you're my internet b**ch of the day Mr. drivel. That's what you actually meant to name yourself, right?
Hahaha, did it take you all week to come up with that? Is that why you're just now bringing it up? Finally got you a good comeback?

Look dude, it was just a simple suggestion on a way to make better use of this forum; sure, it happened to come up in your thread, but it's not like I suggested some sort of punitive action against you for it - don't take it so personal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
The link worked fine for me.
OP edited his original post after originally putting in a dead link. See posts #2-6.
      06-24-2016, 07:57 PM   #21
cays
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hahaha, did it take you all week to come up with that? Is that why you're just now bringing it up? Finally got you a good comeback?
Nope. Took about 12 secs for the fucking prick you obviously are. Again, if it wasn't clear, go fuck yourself drivel.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 08:31 PM   #22
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nope. Took about 12 secs for the fucking prick you obviously are. Again, if it wasn't clear, go fuck yourself drivel.
Love you too, cupcake.