BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-12-2018, 02:23 PM   #89
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptObvious View Post
I already have that achieved. Don't you know who you're talking to, son? Bow down. Geez, Never Enough for you guys, huh?
Tortoise and the Hare son. Let's compare after you've been on these forums for 10+ years.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 02:24 PM   #90
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
That is great and I'm on it! It's heartening to know that a 39% raise is possible. Applying that to my current salary of $0, I would stand to earn a whopping...$0!!
Well, see we would be in the same boat then! Good to know that BP Admins subscribe to the equality pay right?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 02:01 PM   #91
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
I'm not new here....
You look new to me. I don't know why anyone would make 2 accounts... that just sounds like a lot of work.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 02:10 PM   #92
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
So Bosshole told me, today, that they will sit down with me on 11/21 to discuss my request.
Ah yes, the week away sit down meeting. Classic move.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 02:13 PM   #93
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Actually, 3 weeks since I asked last Monday. At least I'm out of the office for the rest of this week...
They are probably buying time to talk to a recruiter about backfilling your soon to be vacant position.
Appreciate 2
Joekerr7929.00
      11-13-2018, 02:13 PM   #94
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'm not new here....
I'm aware. But the other you was only around for about 5 years...so still a young'un. And that version also had a less than 1:1 ratio.

Thus...past history will indicate your current ratio will settle down once you have some history.
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2018, 02:14 PM   #95
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
I'm aware. But the other you was only around for about 5 years...so still a young'un. And that version also had a less than 1:1 ratio.

Thus...past history will indicate your current ratio will settle down once you have some history.

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 02:21 PM   #96
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Look man, I am the king here & that's just how it is
Geez man, did you have a bowl?

You are the Captain here, just look at your avatar and your name for crying out loud! There are quite a few promotions you'll need to achieve to go from Captain to King.

Just ask me - I'm Joe King.

King me.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #97
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
I will not be surprised if they do fire me instead. Companies are run by morons & assholes anymore.
With brilliant insight like that I cant imagine why they arent falling all over themselves to give you a raise.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 02:25 PM   #98
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
You are Jo-king for sure.

Capt Obvious might be my doppelganger.
Ironically enough, mine too. I even have a beard that is eerily similar, and my friends have called me that due to the resemblance at times.
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2018, 02:40 PM   #99
DETRoadster
Rep

Ah, I'm just busting your balls man. I really do wish you the best of luck.

With any luck that meeting is postponed because your boss is checking with his boss, or maybe accounting, to see what his department payroll budget looks like for next year and whether he can fit in a salary bump for you.

If your boss sees/knows what you contribute and what sets you apart from the pack, then you stand a pretty good chance, assuming he's a reasonable guy.

If the answer comes back "no" or "Not at this time" I'd highly recommend you be prepared to have a discussion with him about what your he's looking to see out of you that will put you in contention for a raise. If your company does annual performance reviews at the end of the year, now is a perfect time to get your desire for a raise and his goals for you to achieve that raise memorialized in that document.

Quote:
You obviously haven't been paying attention to corporate America. Have a great day
I actually have been paying attention, I just sit on the other side of the desk. What I see is a slow shift in employee attitude over the years from "What do I need to do to achieve my title/compensation goals" to "I did what you asked now I'm entitled to a raise or a bonus." Somehow, the idea that doing your job and doing it well is tied to base compensation has been lost. There's this attitude I see emerging where employees feel they are entitled to a raise and a promotion because they did their job. No, you did your job and for that you got paid and you get to keep your job. Promotions and raises come to those who do their job and then some.

Not saying you fall into the entitled camp as I don't know your history, but know that your boss likely sees this phenomenon as well and has a few of these entitled employees on his team. The key is to set yourself apart from that pack.

Last edited by DETRoadster; 11-13-2018 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 2
2000cs3495.00
      11-13-2018, 03:04 PM   #100
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
I wish. It's a franchise of a big company. Father & son own this franchise. Son is my boss & he is a moron & an ahole.

I certainly have seen my share of people that expect the world for doing nothing. I'm a top performer, ask for nothing & do plenty of shit that I shouldn't/don't have to do. I earn my keep.

There are annual reviews, but I started here last June so that happened this June. Guess what they did? Could not give me a top mark, let's say that would be a 10 on a 1-10 scale, (b/c I forget the rating system they used) and their reason for that? They wanted to give me something to shoot for. Seriously? I bust my ass here & your stupid kid can't close a deal to save his life. Fuck you.
Damn. Time to bail. I think I remember talking to you about this a while back. Aren't you in IT or maybe you were doing all the IT work and it was outside your job scope?

Sounds like a toxic situation that you arent going to be able to change. Best to move on if you can. We all spend a lot of time at work and it just isnt worth doing it at someplace we dont like.
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2018, 03:24 PM   #101
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
My last job was with an IT company, but I wasn't doing their IT, but yes I am looking for a new role.
Ah, must have you confused with someone else. In any case, good on you for looking for a new gig. The current one sounds like a bummer.
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2018, 07:25 PM   #102
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Damn. Time to bail. I think I remember talking to you about this a while back. Aren't you in IT or maybe you were doing all the IT work and it was outside your job scope?

Sounds like a toxic situation that you arent going to be able to change. Best to move on if you can. We all spend a lot of time at work and it just isnt worth doing it at someplace we dont like.
This, even if you get a raise it doesn't change the toxic situation.

Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11456.00
      11-13-2018, 08:01 PM   #103
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
My last job was with an IT company, but I wasn't doing their IT, but yes I am looking for a new role.
What do you do if you don't mind me asking and what region? I have quite a few connections in the IT world.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 10:38 AM   #104
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

I've been at my company for almost 2 years now, I've performed well and the company is doing well financially. The company has been acquired by another larger company 6 months ago and there is a lot of growth happening right now. Our new fiscal year end where salary increases are negotiated is in April.

That being said, I think I'm the front runner for a promotion where there will be a substantial compensation increase.

Do I go in and ask now, or wait until either a promotion happens or April review?

I just had a peer go in an ask. He strong armed them with threatening to resign (I'm not at that point) as there was a lack in redundancy and they caved but he is obviously on their shit list now...
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 10:46 AM   #105
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
I just sit on the other side of the desk. What I see is a slow shift in employee attitude over the years from "What do I need to do to achieve my title/compensation goals" to "I did what you asked now I'm entitled to a raise or a bonus." Somehow, the idea that doing your job and doing it well is tied to base compensation has been lost. There's this attitude I see emerging where employees feel they are entitled to a raise and a promotion because they did their job. No, you did your job and for that you got paid and you get to keep your job. Promotions and raises come to those who do their job and then some.
100% this. So true.

I'm pretty cutthroat in regards to raises, unless i am dealing with a bonafide star that is hard to replace i just let people walk. otherwise you're paying overs on folks doing an "ok" job.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11456.00
      11-22-2018, 11:38 AM   #106
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANGRKE70 View Post
I've been at my company for almost 2 years now, I've performed well and the company is doing well financially. The company has been acquired by another larger company 6 months ago and there is a lot of growth happening right now. Our new fiscal year end where salary increases are negotiated is in April.

That being said, I think I'm the front runner for a promotion where there will be a substantial compensation increase.

Do I go in and ask now, or wait until either a promotion happens or April review?

I just had a peer go in an ask. He strong armed them with threatening to resign (I'm not at that point) as there was a lack in redundancy and they caved but he is obviously on their shit list now...
You have a golden opportunity, Sir. Don't F it up like your peer did. Your peer went after a short term gain and in the process likely created long term instability. Stupid move. He backed his boss into a corner and leveraged a lack of redundancy. I guarantee you that guy's boss is hatching a plan to hire or grow the necessary redundancy right now. No one appreciates being backed into a corner that way. That boss' job is to have a structure that can stand losing people. Your peer essentially went in and said "I've come to realize you are not doing your job well. You have a lack of redundancy around my position and I'm going to leverage that to my advantage by pointing out your failure and blackmailing you with it." Ouch. If I was that dude's boss I'd be working on a plan to "manage him out" right now...

Back to you: 100% go in now. Dont leave it to chance. Dont risk there being a mismatch between where you think you stand and where you really stand. But take a completely different approach from your peer. Make it clear you have professional growth on your mind and you see a way to achieve that growth while helping the company grow. Conversation should go roughly like this: "Boss, I'm thankful for the opportunities I've had at this company. Under your leadership I've had the chance to grow my career in the direction I want. Now that we have been bought out by XYZ company, I can see our company landscape has gotten significantly more complex. We have seen a lot of benefits from the acquisition but there's also inefficiencies, competing processes, gray areas in ownership of duties and responsibilities. Theres a lot of work ahead to fine tune our operations and I want to be part of that. From my time here I understand this corner of the company really well and I want to put that to use. I suspect that there may be some opportunities coming up for folks to expand their roles and take on more or different responsibilities. I just wanted to make sure you know that I find that exciting and I want to be a part of it. I had my eyes set on XYZ position, but ultimately I'm open to other strategic moves that you might see that I currently do not. Bottom line, I think the direction the company is headed in is exciting and Im here to be a part of that."

Spin it however you want but the key points are:

1) Pump your boss up a little. You need him in your corner.
2) Let your boss know that growth is on your mind.
3) Compliment the direction of the company; your a committed company guy, in it for the long haul.
4) Don't focus too much on that one position. Be open to other openings your boss may know about that you don't see yet.
5) Most importantly, this is not about you getting a promotion. This is about you making it known that you want to play a bigger role, you bring unique talents, and you are committed to the company. The promotion will come along with that.

Good luck!

EDIT: I'm assuming you have a good relationship with your boss, he is a reasonable and rational guy, and he wants to see you and the company succeed. If any of these things are not true, the situation is exponentially more complex and a different approach is needed.

Last edited by DETRoadster; 11-22-2018 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 2
Joekerr7929.00
CANGRKE70813.50
      11-22-2018, 11:47 AM   #107
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
100% this. So true.

I'm pretty cutthroat in regards to raises, unless i am dealing with a bonafide star that is hard to replace i just let people walk. otherwise you're paying overs on folks doing an "ok" job.
I chock it up to the parents. Parents of average to mediocre kids who continually told them "you are special, you are the best." Those kids go on to schools were teachers hand out A's like candy because they are afraid to give precious Billy a C on a crap ass assignment he turned in, for fear of Billy's parents showing up screaming about their little genius having his chances of Harvard ruined because he's struggling in 2nd grade arts and crafts.

"You are special. You are a winner. You can do ANYTHING you put your mind to." You beat that into a kid's head enough and you create young adults who want raises and promotions for doing the bare minimum.

For the first 20 years of my career I never once looked at an employee's position description outside of the hiring process. I now get employees on a regular basis who want to nit-pick their position descriptions to find evidence that the big bad company is asking them to do things that are outside the scope of their role, and thus they need a promotion. I let them blow off steam for 5 or 10 minutes, calmly listening and nodding my head. Then I point them to the "Other tasks and duties as assigned" section at the very bottom, before kicking them the F out of my office.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 01:59 PM   #108
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
For the first 20 years of my career I never once looked at an employee's position description outside of the hiring process. I now get employees on a regular basis who want to nit-pick their position descriptions to find evidence that the big bad company is asking them to do things that are outside the scope of their role, and thus they need a promotion. I let them blow off steam for 5 or 10 minutes, calmly listening and nodding my head. Then I point them to the "Other tasks and duties as assigned" section at the very bottom, before kicking them the F out of my office.
This. Big issue here is language and communication skills, plenty of bright people but a good portion just got off the boat and their job skills may be strong but communication is absolutely atrocious. They want raises and i'm like, well, i can't put you on difficult jobs because you can't communicate at the level I need. So i just let them walk.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11456.00
      11-22-2018, 03:21 PM   #109
tebbnsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
I prefer to work harder and give myself a raise!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 09:19 PM   #110
qba335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

As my finance professor in grad school used to say: if you feel that you are underpaid - look for a new job. The market will show your value.

In my opinion, it is easier to get (substantially) more money when you switch companies.
Appreciate 1
eluded3005.00