BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

09-17-2021, 11:33 AM   #1
MOEZILLA
Registered
Rep
Drives: x3, 630i, i3, i3 rex

i3 rex scooter engine disabled after 10 seconds

camshaft position sensor and fuel pump relay replaced.
sputters a bit and backfires (smells rich) and then starts run perfectly when CEL starts blinking, but disabled automatically after 10 seconds.

I have heard all kinds of crazy suggestions like oil change, etc. but it is just a 650c scooter engine. Willing to override if possible. Codes are P0300, 301, 302 (not dedicated to one cylinder). Runs fine after 20 seconds but disabled by then. No O2 sensor, crankshaft sensor, fuel pressure codes.

Next step was going to be plugs, fuel pressure sensor because fuel pump too difficult to get to. (Same with crank pos sensor). A bad COP would seem to be dedicated to one cylinder.

Everyone with similar issues seems to end up spending many thousands at a dealership because the i3 rex is not that common and they do not really have diagnostic skills. A BMW motorcycle shop may actually be more capable.

Last edited by MOEZILLA; 09-18-2021 at 08:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 01:49 PM   #2
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Stupid question - Did you try fresh fuel yet? The crap they sell us in the USA that's laced with 5-10% ethanol draws water out of the air, and doesn't store for more than a few months before going stale. Seems like a recipe for death with a REx if it doesn't run enough to empty the tank frequently.....
      09-18-2021, 08:11 PM   #3
MOEZILLA
Registered
Rep
Drives: x3, 630i, i3, i3 rex

thank you! not stupid, IMO!
but I have not found an easy way to drain the tank yet. I even tried siphoning. I can get to the fuel line if I can get the head cover off, but I cannot figure out these "arrow" connectors!
My fuel is less than two months old, but I suspect the local Chevron. Great placed to get mugged or maybe even bad gas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Stupid question - Did you try fresh fuel yet? The crap they sell us in the USA that's laced with 5-10% ethanol draws water out of the air, and doesn't store for more than a few months before going stale. Seems like a recipe for death with a REx if it doesn't run enough to empty the tank frequently.....
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
vreihen1615118.00
      09-19-2021, 10:48 AM   #4
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
I had a mechanic friend who built a jumper switch for the electric fuel pump relays in ICE cars. When he needed to drain a fuel tank, he would just pop the fuel line off at the engine, stick it into an empty gas can, and run the fuel pump until the tank was drained. Don't have a REx or know if a similar jumper can be created, but just throwing it out as an alternative.....