Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

10-13-2021, 11:53 AM   #1
motzus
Private
Rep
Drives: i4 M50 (ordered)

i4 pre-order in USA, changing dealers?

In the USA BMW is currently accepting pre-orders for the i4 (and iX) with a $1500 deposit. During the pre-order process you are asked to enter your zip code and they select a dealer which will sell you the real car. I'm guessing that BMW is treating your pre-order as reserving a build slot for your car (kinda like how European deliver used to work). I'm guessing that the price that you will pay for the car is something that you will be negotiating with the dealer. If my local dealer is adding "market adjustments" to the price do I have the option to move my pre-order to a different dealer that is not? Should I negotiate a price with the dealer that I select for my pre-order before I enter that in BMWUSA?

I'm asking because the Mustang Mach-e is turning out to be a hot car and the forums are blowing up over $10K market adjustments for pre-ordered cars. Wondering if the i4 turns out to be a hot car how likely am I going to get screwed. Worst case I can get my $1500 back and join the normal queue to buy one after the cools off a bit. I bought the E90 335i and the F80 M3 the first year that they came out and I had to do some significant shopping around to "only" pay MSRP for them (yeah, I know, I was one of those guys).
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 12:00 PM   #2
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by motzus View Post
In the USA BMW is currently accepting pre-orders for the i4 (and iX) with a $1500 deposit. During the pre-order process you are asked to enter your zip code and they select a dealer which will sell you the real car. I'm guessing that BMW is treating your pre-order as reserving a build slot for your car (kinda like how European deliver used to work). I'm guessing that the price that you will pay for the car is something that you will be negotiating with the dealer. If my local dealer is adding "market adjustments" to the price do I have the option to move my pre-order to a different dealer that is not? Should I negotiate a price with the dealer that I select for my pre-order before I enter that in BMWUSA?

I'm asking because the Mustang Mach-e is turning out to be a hot car and the forums are blowing up over $10K market adjustments for pre-ordered cars. Wondering if the i4 turns out to be a hot car how likely am I going to get screwed. Worst case I can get my $1500 back and join the normal queue to buy one after the cools off a bit. I bought the E90 335i and the F80 M3 the first year that they came out and I had to do some significant shopping around to "only" pay MSRP for them (yeah, I know, I was one of those guys).
I haven't negotiated price, but they aren't selling me a car, I'm buying one.

They aren't flooring the car or doing anything except setup for delivery. I don't expect to pay MSRP. Let alone a market adjustment.

I have been a customer at my dealership for a decade.
      10-13-2021, 12:41 PM   #3
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

Having an existing relationship with a dealer certainly helps. I recently moved and do not have that luxury. With a limited supply and heavy demand I will not be surprised if most will sell at or near MSRP. I'm expecting at least a discount on options. Dealers attempting to sell above MSRP will likely hear from BMW corporate.

If a dealer is going to play games, the deposit is refundable, and there are now several competing brands available. For me the i4 was a tossup with the Tesla 3 or Y. The i4 is more luxurious, better handling, smoother ride and will be assembled better. The Tesla is less expensive (even with BMW tax $7500 rebate), faster, more efficient and has more passenger room.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 01:52 PM   #4
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsilver View Post
Having an existing relationship with a dealer certainly helps. I recently moved and do not have that luxury. With a limited supply and heavy demand I will not be surprised if most will sell at or near MSRP. I'm expecting at least a discount on options. Dealers attempting to sell above MSRP will likely hear from BMW corporate.

If a dealer is going to play games, the deposit is refundable, and there are now several competing brands available. For me the i4 was a tossup with the Tesla 3 or Y. The i4 is more luxurious, better handling, smoother ride and will be assembled better. The Tesla is less expensive (even with BMW tax $7500 rebate), faster, more efficient and has more passenger room.
I would tell them exactly what you said.

"I recently moved here and would like to be a.long term customer. Playing games with pricing won't make me that.

I like the i4, but there are other options. I have pre-ordered, so you aren't selling me a car. BMW corporate already sold me on the car. Don't try to mess me on pricing.

Now let's talk......"
      10-13-2021, 04:20 PM   #5
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post

"I recently moved here and would like to be a.long term customer. Playing games with pricing won't make me that.

I like the i4, but there are other options. I have pre-ordered, so you aren't selling me a car. BMW corporate already sold me on the car. Don't try to mess me on pricing.

Now let's talk......"
I hope it goes well, but I would also be prepared for:

"Mr. Whiz, ("May I call you "Tech"?) Tech, buddy, look, I completely understand. But, I don't get a choice to change that. It's the dealership policy for this model. If you don't want it, I have a list of other people to call. Have a wonderful day!"
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 04:59 PM   #6
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post

Now let's talk......"
I hope it goes well, but I would also be prepared for:

"Mr. Whiz, ("May I call you "Tech"?) Tech, buddy, look, I completely understand. But, I don't get a choice to change that. It's the dealership policy for this model. If you don't want it, I have a list of other people to call. Have a wonderful day!"
Nov. 18 is when the order sheets.come out from what I have been told.

Trying to maximize profit on a single car or a.couple of pre-orders is bad form and dealers can do this but they might piss off BMW USA that is providing immediate financing for cars bought through the pre-order process.

I have never paid MSRP for a car and don't plan to now. But I'm not the guy that moved to a new town.

I have a decade relationship with this dealer and have brought them additional business for sales and service.

In my case I don't think I'm going to have an issue. But I have also never seen the "Market Adjustment" stickers in the dealership I go to.
      10-14-2021, 08:36 AM   #7
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I live in a large city so there are multiple BMW dealerships. If one plays these types of games, then the customer can move to another.

I treated my dealership fairly on my last two purchases and I expect it to treat me fairly as well. Given the current shortage, I can understand a dealership demanding MSRP; but no adds or I would go elsewhere, forever.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 11:24 AM   #8
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I live in a large city so there are multiple BMW dealerships. If one plays these types of games, then the customer can move to another.

I treated my dealership fairly on my last two purchases and I expect it to treat me fairly as well. Given the current shortage, I can understand a dealership demanding MSRP; but no adds or I would go elsewhere, forever.
Exactly.
There are at least 6 BMW dealers near me.
Different cities but all within 30-40 minutes.

One of them advertises no markups above MSRP.
A couple are Costco dealers.

There is plenty competition among the dealers around here. So far mine has been good.

people that live in areas where there is only on dealership in 100 mile radius probably have a different experience. Here they are competing for those service dollars and they know if you get worked, you aren't coming back for service.