BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

03-18-2019, 10:29 PM   #1
rainman54
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

The infamous i8 windshield cracked....

Have read about how thin it is, I guess a pine cone fell from the tree when it was parked and it is a huge spider web crack, even bigger than my fist and it spread to both sides. No idea how this happened.

I have seen the past threads on windshield replacements.

This car is a lease due at the end of April.

Should I just go with whatever the cheapest one Progressive sends me to? Do they check during the lease if it has to be BMW branded OEM glass?

I'm California and my deductible is 500.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 09:55 AM   #2
sppr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: scion frs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman54 View Post
Have read about how thin it is, I guess a pine cone fell from the tree when it was parked and it is a huge spider web crack, even bigger than my fist and it spread to both sides. No idea how this happened.

Should I just go with whatever the cheapest one Progressive sends me to? Do they check during the lease if it has to be BMW branded OEM glass?

Sounds more like vandalism to me. If a pine cone fell on it, that cone must have been pretty close to the car. If someone threw a stone or so, they could have taken it with them to avoid leaving fingerprints on.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 07:25 PM   #3
bumbaclot
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman54 View Post

Eek. Dealer charged me 3.3k to replace it! Luckily, had windshield insurance and it only cost a $50 deductible. And for some weird reason, when contacting the insurance co to see if my coverage covered the windshield, they informed it didn’t, but that I could get the windshield coverage for super cheap (after it already broke!) So they let me sign up for it then and call a few days later to file the claim. Try that, good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 03:58 PM   #4
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

My front screen developed a crack recently when it was parked in my garage - nothing touched it and it certainly wasn't there when it was parked. My thoughts are it's likely some weakness (either a manufacturing or installation problem) that ultimately was exposed by thermal conditions in my garage, I suspect it would have happened on the next drive if it hadn't happen while parked.

Here in the UK I was fortunate enough that my insurance covered it for £75 (<$100 US) and was fitted at my house.

I contacted a few dealers asking them to investigate as there was clearly no impact and they were basically useless.
      04-09-2019, 03:47 PM   #5
rainman54
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbaclot View Post
Eek. Dealer charged me 3.3k to replace it! Luckily, had windshield insurance and it only cost a $50 deductible. And for some weird reason, when contacting the insurance co to see if my coverage covered the windshield, they informed it didn’t, but that I could get the windshield coverage for super cheap (after it already broke!) So they let me sign up for it then and call a few days later to file the claim. Try that, good luck!
I am in the bay area also. What insurance did you use?

Progressive is being pretty useless. They denied the use of OEM glass. Will have to pay up front. It is safelite who progressive uses for the installation.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 10:56 AM   #6
Rhonda
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 bmw i8

I8 windshield crack

I have read many i8 windshields cracking...I happened to be sitting in my car in a parking lot when an extremely loud piercing sound (like a circuit or electrical surge, hard to describe) and windshield cracked...called dealership who informed me they never heard of a noise braking a windshield. When I took it in they agreed that it was not from getting hit by something. You can see it came from inside where the black panel sits next to rear view mirror. Car is at dealership now. Anyone else have this happen or heard of this?

Anxiously waiting to hear from BMW!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 01:46 PM   #7
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

cause and effect? any chance you were hearing the cracking?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 09:15 PM   #8
Rhonda
Registered
Rep

Not at all. I absolutely believe it was an electrical surge in the car. Probably not the right terminology but that’s the way I would describe it. Also interesting where the crack looks like it originated from...the black cover next to rear view mirror. Still waiting to hear back but will be next week at this point.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 09:20 PM   #9
Rhonda
Registered
Rep

Just happened to me and I was sitting in my car that was parked. Sound was so loud it sounded like an electrical surge. All of the sudden windshield cracked. Immediately took car to dealership who agreed there was no mark on crack that would indicate something hit car. It’s at dealership now and they are investigating what happened. Also not charging me for new windshield. I would ask for a refund if you or your insurance was charged.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 10:51 PM   #10
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 i8 coupe,2019x5,2019 740i

I heard a sharp sound too, almost like a bad speaker circuit.
But i think the sound is the sound of the actual windshield cracking.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 04:05 PM   #11
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Residual stress. Agree w rastaman.
Appreciate 0