BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-01-2020, 01:45 PM   #771
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
I don't know if it can be called strange or not, but the liquor stores in my nabe are all open.
I think they closed the pot stores in Mass., but not sure.

Murf
Liquor stores are staying open because they are considered essential in most areas for medical reasons. There is already significant strain on the medical system right now, there is no need to have thousands of alcohol dependent people going through withdrawal clogging the system further. Not to mention the increase in crime that would be associated with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 02:06 PM   #772
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Liquor stores are staying open because they are considered essential in most areas for medical reasons. There is already significant strain on the medical system right now, there is no need to have thousands of alcohol dependent people going through withdrawal clogging the system further. Not to mention the increase in crime that would be associated with it.
I didn't think it was an essential medical need, but rather an essential social need, but hey....
I was wondering if the potheads were getting the short end of the stick, again, and if so, why?

Murf
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 02:10 PM   #773
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Not that I disagree with you because I don't, but the skeptic in me also notes that these are also a decent revenue source for the government...and that was the first thought that crossed my mind when I heard the LCBO and cannabis was "essential".
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 02:12 PM   #774
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
I didn't think it was an essential medical need, but rather an essential social need, but hey....
I was wondering if the potheads were getting the short end of the stick, again, and if so, why?

Murf
Liquor stores aren't essential in my opinion. Marijuana dispensaries are open, and thankfully firearms retailers are now considered essential. I like seeing fearful anti-gun liberals out buying guns despite the fact that I giggle and consider them hypocrites. These are the same people who, prior to the COVID hysteria, were quick to tell gun owners they didn't need firearms and that the police should be the only individuals who have guns (...absolutely absurd). Now that they are fearful of being assaulted and robbed, they have performed an about-face. At the end of the day it strengthens the resolve........and the fight for second amendment rights.
Appreciate 3
Murf99314114.00
vreihen1614882.00
Dpc2u11503.00
      04-01-2020, 02:13 PM   #775
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Not that I disagree with you because I don't, but the skeptic in me also notes that these are also a decent revenue source for the government...and that was the first thought that crossed my mind when I heard the LCBO and cannabis was "essential".
the revenue is no doubt needed the way the Ontario government is burning through cash right now but the underlying concern is that of public health. Alcoholism is a disease and withdrawal is real and needs to be managed in hospital. Not a burden any healthcare system wants right now.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 02:17 PM   #776
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Liquor stores aren't essential in my opinion. Marijuana dispensaries are open, and thankfully firearms retailers are now considered essential. I like seeing fearful anti-gun liberals out buying guns despite the fact that I giggle and consider them hypocrites. It strengthens the resolve.....and the fight for second amendment rights.
A lot of folks share your view on liquor but you must have seen lots of cases of withdrawal (DT's), I know I have. They can be critical and must be managed in hospital. Alcoholism is a disease. The government marijuana stores and online services are still open, some have made the argument that some folks are dependent on marijuana and I think that may be true. So far the government of Ontario has lost money and may be breaking even this year.

As far as firearms go, sales of guns and ammo have been way up here in Canada, I was on line the other day and many stores are sold out of most common calibres and many guns. The stores are all closed but on line sales are booming where there is still stock.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 02:18 PM   #777
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
.... I like seeing fearful anti-gun liberals out buying guns despite the fact that I giggle and consider them hypocrites. It strengthens the resolve.....and the fight for second amendment rights.
I find it so sad to see anyone waste money on multiple guns when they could better themselves, & their community, by buying a computer course, contributing to the local scholarship fund, or something useful!

Murf
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 02:21 PM   #778
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
I find it so sad to see anyone waste money on multiple guns when they could better themselves, & their community, by buying a computer course, contributing to the local scholarship fund, or something useful!

Murf
There in lies the problem. Just because you don't agree with something doesn't make it wrong. You live in a democracy where there are choices on what the individual can do with their time and money as long as it doesn't break the law.

How would you like it if someone told you that you were wasting your money on computer courses rather than buying a gun to be a better supporter of the US constitution?
Appreciate 2
Dpc2u11503.00
      04-01-2020, 02:26 PM   #779
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
.... How would you like it if someone told you that you were wasting your money on computer courses rather than buying a gun to be a better supporter of the US constitution?
As a kid, I wish I had a wise mentor who could have helped me enter the work force better! But I didn't.
If someone told me the above now, I would say, "Who you kidding? I wasn't born yesterday, dude!".

Murf
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 02:30 PM   #780
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
As a kid, I wish I had a wise mentor who could have helped me enter the work force better! But I didn't.
If someone told me the above now, I would say, "Who you kidding? I wasn't born yesterday, dude!".

Murf
I'm not really sure what you mean by that, but I support you're right to say it.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 02:36 PM   #781
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
.... I like seeing fearful anti-gun liberals out buying guns despite the fact that I giggle and consider them hypocrites. It strengthens the resolve.....and the fight for second amendment rights.

Murf
A computer course isn't going to do anything to protect you when someone kicks in your front door, because I can assure you that me and my partners WILL NOT be there to immediately assist you.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1614882.00
Murf99314114.00
premier3is1627.00
      04-01-2020, 02:38 PM   #782
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Liquor stores aren't essential in my opinion. Marijuana dispensaries are open, and thankfully firearms retailers are now considered essential. I like seeing fearful anti-gun liberals out buying guns despite the fact that I giggle and consider them hypocrites. It strengthens the resolve.....and the fight for second amendment rights.
A lot of folks share your view on liquor but you must have seen lots of cases of withdrawal (DT's), I know I have. They can be critical and must be managed in hospital. Alcoholism is a disease. The government marijuana stores and online services are still open, some have made the argument that some folks are dependent on marijuana and I think that may be true. So far the government of Ontario has lost money and may be breaking even this year.

As far as firearms go, sales of guns and ammo have been way up here in Canada, I was on line the other day and many stores are sold out of most common calibres and many guns. The stores are all closed but on line sales are booming where there is still stock.
No, we haven't seen withdrawals. In fact, criminals/drunks/those high off narcotics are staying indoors and are largely quiet.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 02:39 PM   #783
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Although this flu bug is running rampant, the response has been horribly overblown. The normal influenza - which is also a coronavirus with the same age/risk factors, and the same symptomatic M.O. - kills on average 4,000 people a week; many, many thousands a year. People are oblivious to the stats or just don't care, yet they act like the world is going to end over this. The media won't tell you about the large majority who recover. They only cite deaths which add to the hysteria of society's lemmings.
I was in agreement until this paragraph.

This is not influenza.

And your numbers aren't apples to apples. Influenza is EVERYWHERE. You want real numbers? Wait until SARS-CoV-2 has the same infiltration as influenza. Until then, you're just guessing.

Beyond that, it's not even about COVID-19 because with how long it'll take for a vaccine to be created we will all have it, so it's about everyone not getting it at once, and if you're not doing everything you can to socially distance yourself, then you're part of the problem, not the solution.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 02:40 PM   #784
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Quote:
Although this flu bug is running rampant, the response has been horribly overblown. The normal influenza - which is also a coronavirus with the same age/risk factors, and the same symptomatic M.O. - kills on average 4,000 people a week; many, many thousands a year. People are oblivious to the stats or just don't care, yet they act like the world is going to end over this. The media won't tell you about the large majority who recover. They only cite deaths which add to the hysteria of society's lemmings.
I was in agreement until this paragraph.

This is not influenza.

And your numbers aren't apples to apples. Influenza is EVERYWHERE. You want real numbers? Wait until SARS-CoV-2 has the same infiltration as influenza. Until then, you're just guessing.

Beyond that, it's not even about COVID-19, it's about everyone not getting it at once, and if you're not doing everything you can to socially distance yourself, then you're part of the problem, not the solution.
I KNOW IT'S NOT COMMON INFLUENZA (...but it is damn similar in terms of transmission, symptoms, age/risk factors, etc.). That wasn't the point I was trying to convey.

Furthermore I CANNOT SOCIAL DISTANCE in any meaningful way. I don't have that luxury. It's what I signed up for when I became a cop. Much in the same way that I signed up to [potentially] die for somebody that likely despises what those in my profession stand for and who couldn't care less about me and my safety. It is what it is.

P.S. I look at the real numbers of COVID cases. I pay attention to the numbers regarding recoveries and those not in critical condition. The actual death rate is very low relative to the number of cases. In fact the last report was a little more than half a percent (...lower than Wuhan China's 2-3.5%). So if we look at it another way, 96%+ recover from this just fine. Statistics vary a little depending on whose numbers you choose to believe, but even with the worst statistic I've seen in the last month, 90% of people recover.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 03:13 PM   #785
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
A computer course isn't going to do anything to protect you when someone kicks in your front door, because I can assure you that me and my partners WILL NOT be there to immediately assist you.
Q: Why do I carry a .45 everywhere that I go?

A: Because it's lighter than carrying a police officer!
Dpc2u11503.00
      04-01-2020, 03:13 PM   #786
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
the revenue is no doubt needed the way the Ontario government is burning through cash right now but the underlying concern is that of public health. Alcoholism is a disease and withdrawal is real and needs to be managed in hospital. Not a burden any healthcare system wants right now.
No disagreement with the public health concern. I know of a patient who admitted he goes through a 24 each day. He'll literally wake up at 3am to have a beer and go back to sleep. If he doesn't kill himself first, going through withdrawal will have to be done in a hospital.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      04-01-2020, 03:15 PM   #787
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Q'n re dashcams: any story/experience when it was usefull, to anyone, whether the actual footage or just its presence?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 03:33 PM   #788
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
No, we haven't seen withdrawals. In fact, criminals/drunks/those high off narcotics are staying indoors and are largely quiet.
I was referring to the DT's when I said withdrawal. You must have encountered this in your career. I have seen it too many times to recall, but it is something that requires hospitalization and that is the concern of public health given the current burden on hospitals.

Delirium tremens (DTs) is a rapid onset of confusion usually caused by withdrawal from alcohol.[2] When it occurs, it is often three days into the withdrawal symptoms and lasts for two to three days.[2] Physical effects may include shaking, shivering, irregular heart rate, and sweating.[1] People may also see or hear things other people do not (hallucination).[2] Occasionally, a very high body temperature or seizures may result in death.[2] Alcohol is one of the most dangerous drugs from which to withdraw.[5]
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 03:40 PM   #789
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A culture of learning will better your situation way more assuredly than a culture of guns. With the increased income, you could buy a spy doorbell, or you could move to a nabe where front doors aren't kicked in so often; one with better cops.
My first Samoyed stopped a front door push-in robbery. It was pretty immediate too! But hey, if you would rather spend time figuring out how to shoot someone better instead of using that time for advancement, that's your choice.

Murf
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 03:49 PM   #790
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
A culture of learning will better your situation way more assuredly than a culture of guns. With the increased income, you could buy a spy doorbell, or you could move to a nabe where front doors aren't kicked in so often; one with better cops.
My first Samoyed stopped a front door push-in robbery. It was pretty immediate too! But hey, if you would rather spend time figuring out how to shoot someone better instead of using that time for advancement, that's your choice.

Murf
So what's your concern, the cost of buying a gun (pretty low actually) or the actual ownership of guns. I can buy a gun on line right now, take me about 5 minutes and cost a couple of hundred dollars, and when I'm done I can go and work on my on line university course that I am currently enrolled in.

Who says you can't do both?
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2020, 04:15 PM   #791
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So what's your concern, the cost of buying a gun (pretty low actually) or the actual ownership of guns. I can buy a gun on line right now, take me about 5 minutes and cost a couple of hundred dollars, and when I'm done I can go and work on my on line university course that I am currently enrolled in.

Who says you can't do both?
And some goober off the street can also buy that gun. I would hope he might spend on a license, a lesson, and some practice, some ammo....
But a gun culture does not do your children any good. I'm old enough to see where many of my high school mates ended up. The ones I shot skeet with didn't end up in fortune 500 corps. Just sayin'!

Murf
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 04:26 PM   #792
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
And some goober off the street can also buy that gun. I would hope he might spend on a license, a lesson, and some practice, some ammo....
But a gun culture does not do your children any good. I'm old enough to see where many of my high school mates ended up. The ones I shot skeet with didn't end up in fortune 500 corps. Just sayin'!

Murf
You clearly have an anti-gun bias. Your premise seems to be that the only way to "better yourself" is to not own guns.

I suspect that some of your friends that didn't shoot skeet also didn't end up in fortune 500 companies.

My wife has spent most of her adult life in Fortune 500 Companies, ending up in senior leadership rolls with many of them....she also shoots a Henry rifle and is the proud owner of a Smith and Wesson .357 magnum which she enjoys shooting and is very proficient with. Head shots all day long at 60'. We have had big dogs which are a good deterrent, but I believe in not putting all of my eggs in one basket.

I have guns for recreation, I've been shooting my whole life and was a LEO for over 30 years in a large city. I moved to a small town with very low crime rates and I am aware of my surrounding. I am physically fit and can defend myself but I also know that there is alway someone tougher, and dogs don't scare everyone. Especially since very few dogs are properly trained. So if someone can get by my dog and my locked front door I won't be using my fist in the hope that I am tougher, I will use a firearm to protect my family, my home, my dog and myself.

But I guess you're better than me because you take computer courses and do community work.....oh wait, I do those things to.

And it would never occur to me to tell you what you should or shouldn't do with your discretionary income or spare time as long as it's not against the law.

Last edited by Murf993; 04-01-2020 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24809.50
Dpc2u11503.00